Help needed to construct wireless headphones

Hi everybody, It has been a long time since my college and I wish to brush up my learning that I once did. I am in need of a wireless headphone and would love to construct one of my own. I understand that the basic concept is that I channel the output of my music system to a FM transmitter and receive it in a small FM receiver that I can carry around in my pocket and listen to through headphones.

If I am right so far, it boils down to constructing a FM transmitter. I came across some circuits, the easiest of which appeared to use BA1404 chip. Unfortunately, I could not find the chip. I came across some other simple digital circuits that used a set of NAND gates but I could not get it to work. It appears that a breadboard (of the type I am using to set my components on) is not suitaded for such fast circuits. Could anyone please me point to a simple circuit which:

  1. does not use too many components,
  2. works with stereo transmission (what is music without stereo, right?)
  3. is easy to construct,
  4. works on less power (cuz I do not need to transmit beyond maybe 50 feet), and most importantly
  5. is hard to go wrong with.

I would be very thankful for your kind help in regaining my lost love of electronics.

Cheers Gaurav

Reply to
Gaurav

Look at this:

There is a link for the transmitter on the page also.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

No, you're assuming the only way to do it is with radio. Right now you will see really cheap wireless headphones that amount to nothing more than an fm broadcast receiver in the headphones and a transmitter to match, but that doesn't mean it's the best route.

Using IR (infrared) to transmit the sound may be better, and is hardly a new idea. They existed thirty years ago.

Feed the audio into a voltage controlled oscillator running at some frequency above audio, and that feeds a string of IR LEDs. Then at the receiver, a photodiode or something to collect the IR light, and then a demodulator to turn it back into audio. No fussing with radio.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Interesting idea indeed. But would that not mean that I would have to remain in the line of sight with the emitters? Anyway, if it is easier to construct, I am all for it. Could you please point me to some link that does something of the kind. I will also google it up and see.

Thanks again.

Gaurav PS: I guess, this will be a great learning experience. I would love to hear more and more ideas.

Reply to
Gaurav

Try:

Dave.