"Static" blasts from wireless headphones?

Hi, My Sony wireless headphones usually work fine for a variety of purposes. Video tutorials, played on the computer cause the headphones to be used a little differently, in that I'll often pause the video to make notes or do some related Web search.

Until paused the sound is clear. After the pause there is a short (30-40 second) period of quiet, invariably followed by a sudden mind- blowing blast of "static" like sound. This noise will continue until the video is resumed, then it's back to untroubled audio again.

Sometimes I race to get the note taking done before the noise begins. Sometimes I take off the headphones until I'm ready to resume the video. This is quite inconvenient because I often do a lot of pausing/ note taking.

Can anyone please suggest a way of preventing this static noise occurring under the circumstances described?

-- Regards, Geoff Mills

Reply to
Geoff_Mills

I suspect the transmitter is shutting down after 30 seconds of no input. Without a carrier to quiet the receiver, you then hear the noise in the receiver's circuits.

If this is correct, it's downright odd, as there would be no good reason to shut off the transmitter -- which I assume is /not/ battery powered.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thanks for the reply. The transmitter is mains powered through a transformer.

I did a bit more investigating I usually play Quick-time files in Media Player Classic. This brings on the effect soonest. It also happens when I play the same files in Windows Media Player, though the period of quiet lasts much longer, perhaps 2 or 3 minutes. If I play an *.avi file in Media Player Classic, I get the same, much longer period of quiet before the noise starts. It also happens when I use Winamp but again, after the much longer quiet period.

So Quick-time files in Media Player Classic is the worst combination. Also the most desirable combination. Although the software has an effect I don't know if it can be adjusted through software.

-- Regards, Geoff Mills

Reply to
Geoff_Mills