Battery Types

Hello,

I'm starting some research to collect information about battery types, their properties, and best practice in terms of usage.

For example I believe alkaline batteries are dry cell in construction and they should not ideally be drained completely of their charge because this compromises their charging capacity.

I can find lots of individual resources about specific types but nothing that seems to give a reasonable treatment of all types (so comparisons can be drawn for example). If anyone could direct me to some material I would be most grateful.

Regards, Mark. snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com

treboona

** There are two classes of cells ( the term battery refers to more than one) - primary and secondary.

The former are non-rechargeable.

The cells popularly known as " alkalines" are primary cells.

** The topic cells and batteries is huge and endless.

Much published data is misleading and/ or has important details missing.

The chemical industry ( who design and make all batteries) is very secretive.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

And the ones called "rechargeable alkalines" should really be called "kinda rechargeable alkalines"...

Radio Shack used to have a book with discharge curves for most of the batteries that they sell, and with recommended applications. For rat shack it was beyond top quality (i.e. it's actually somewhat useful).

Gates Enercell has a book called something like "Rechargeable Battery Handbook" (maybe I'll look at my copy). It looks like a very authoritative guide to using nickle-cadmium and lead-acid batteries -- at least the few times that I've used it it hasn't steered me wrong.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

ed text -

Many thx for replying.

I'll continue my search. Whatever resources I find I'll try make sure I post to the bottom of this thread.