4013 question

I want the D type latch (using CMOS 4013) to remember a momentary signal and output high. When the momentary signal arrives a second time I want the output to drop low.

The input signal (from sensor circuit) goes high when the light sensor is shadowed (checked with logic probe), this is connected to the clock - pin 3.

Q (pin 1) connected to a 1k resistor in series with an LED to zero volts.

Not Q (pin 2) connected to data - pin 5.

Set (pin 6) and reset (pin 4) connected to pin 7 - Vss.

Pin 14 is Vcc at 10V.

As I shadow or illuminate the sensor the output of the sensor circuit goes high or low as required. I'm using an op-amp as a comparator.

Q remains high all the time - irrespective of the clock signal going low, high, low. The LED is always on. Not Q remains low at all times.

Looking at Q with the logic probe as the clock goes high there is a monentary pulse but the output still stays high. Looking at not Q there is a momentary pulse when the clock goes high but the output still stays low.

The signals are the same when I remove the load (the LED) from the 4013.

Why don't Q and not Q swap levels when the clock goes high?

John

Reply to
eatmorepies

"eatmorepies" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

What did you connect to the D input? It should be connected to not Q to get the required memory function.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

--
Do you have pin 7 connected to the power supply 0V and all of the
inputs on the second dflop connected to either Vee or Vdd?

Do you have a clean, fast (enough), debounced clock signal?

Is the power supply to the chip bypassed?

It sounds like you're double-clocking the chip, for one reason or another. Why it happens to prefer one state over another -- I dunno. But cleanly capturing events like this can be a bitch and a half.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

How about the clock edge-rate? ...Jim Thompson

Sorry - forgot to mention I had connected pin7 to 0V.

I've just tried again with the inputs of the second Dtype grounded - R, S, Clk and D. No change in the circuit's behaviour.

John

Reply to
eatmorepies

I don't know because I don't have a scope. I'm guessing the pulse flash on the logic probe tells me the clock signal isn't clean.

I'm not sure what this means. I have a 0.1 microF ceramic decoupling capactior across the power supply.

I think you're right.

Would a Schmitt nand (4093) configured an an inverter be sufficient to de-bounce the signal? if not what do you suggest?

John

Reply to
eatmorepies

I've just tried the 4093 Schmitt NAND (I put 2 inseries to make a Schmitt AND), The circuit is much improved and it switches states cleanly about 8 of

10 times.

Now. How to make the initial pulse last longer using some kind of monostable with a delay before it falls back to it's stable state?

John

Reply to
eatmorepies

It sounds like you've found the answer with your 555 circuit, but if you Google "debounce circuit" you'll find a bunch of suggestions.

Note that debouncing is as much an art as a science, so expect that you may have to make a couple of passes to get it right.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

an easy way to do that with what you have is to put a R-C low-pass filter between the two schmitt NAND stages.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

--- _ Probably not much of a concern since he's seeing action on Q and Q. _ Since Q and Q always wind up in the same place after the clock is asserted, I'd suspect double-pulsing on the clock input.

Relatively slowly, too, since his double Schmitt trigger only cured the problem 80% of the time and that handy-dandy 555 with a 2 second delay did the trick. ;)

--
JF
Reply to