webcam innerds

How is Panteltje pronounced?

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Hmm, ok. :-)

That's pretty nice.

That philosophy does seem to have a bit lost, and I'd have to admit that it's still not always an "obvious" thing for me to think that I want to do when the data doesn't represent text.

Not to mention making for one really, really long command line. :-)

Cool. You don't have a day job anymore, do you?!

Any idea how it compares to the Foscam I linked to? It's also 640x480, but several years newer.

(I do wish IP cameras would start cranking the video resolution, even if it meant for a reduction in data rate. Even 800x600, perhaps!? -- As-is, even "fancier" cameras like the $200 Panasonic BL-C230 is still 640x480...)

OK, but I'd still need V4L to get at the pan/tilt controls, wouldn't I? (I have a Logitech Orbit AF.)

Thanks,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The easiest way to do this would be to use a composite video cam on a long cable, then a video capure device at the PC end.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

g cable, then a video

But qualities will be limited. Digital solutions can be better in resolutions and positioning. We are using 2000x1500 pixels sensor, centered and cropped to perhaps 800x600.

Reply to
linnix

It would drop every frame.

The cat5 converters are inexpensive

Granted you won't get USB 2.0 speed ( you may find newer 2.0 versions) but at lower resolutions motion is acceptable.

Martin Riddle

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:14:14 -0500) it happened John - KD5YI wrote in :

Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:06:27 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

Video is just a stream, most data comes as streams, I even use the same system for TV, I get the digital TV stream from the Linux DVB-S driver, my program 'xdipo' does the disk positioning and tuning, has record timers too, then the stream is passed through my 'jpinfo' program that extracts the information about which PIDs the various streams belong to the selected program number, in the past when it was still legal it would pass through my program 'jpcam' that decrypted the stream if it was encrypted, then it passes through my program 'jpvtx' that extracts the teletext (videotext) data and stores that in some place where my teletext GUI program 'xvtx-p' can see find it and display it, then the stream, by this time decrypted and with the right audio and video and teletext PIDs goes to a file. For timeshift I then start xine on the file, or send the file with netcat over the LAN, where on the other side netcat receives it and streams it to mplayer, All scripted, so all I have to type (or say, I have perlbox voice calling that script too), is: show bbc show ard show cnn

Yes the script is big, the one for TV is here:

:-)

I have never used the Foscam, so I dunno. An important aspect for security cams can be the low light performance. DCS900 is not very good at low light. I have been looking for a better one. Now the area is lighted, but I think in these days saving on electricity is more green. In that case you could use one of the old Sonys and a digitiser perhaps. Coax goes a long way too.

Yes, I have not looked into that for a while, mcamip has been working fine for sever years here now. I am not even sure the DCS900 is still sold. Some research would be needed if I wanted a new camera.

Well, the DCS900 is now connected to a Linksys WAP54G (wireless access point),

that I modified, added an SDcard, now is also music server for in the house, and links to an other WAP54G that links to the media centre that then links to the internet. Anyways to that first WAP54G with the SDcard I also added a serial port, and multi analog and digital I/O with a PIC. The pan and tilt PIC project can be connected to that serial port. You can then control everything via telnet to the WAP from anywhere (it is on the NAT table in the router, secret port number), also password needed. As you can see very little here is 'not modified'. I will start writing new software as soon as I buy new hardware, just like with my new 46inch TV.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks. I was curious.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

r"

tools

'

it's

en the

ystem

s too,

ed program number,

am' that decrypted the stream

cts the teletext (videotext)

can see find it and display it,

o and teletext PIDs goes

over the LAN,

that script too), is:

ls,

nd

, but

is more green.

it

even

e for sever years here now.

o it

=A0(I

int),

se,

ks to the internet.

needed.

e with my new 46inch TV.

Zoneminder is one of the linux security programs worth checking out. However, there are plenty of free windows programs these days for security cams. Ispy connect for one. The issue with linux is the f-ing drivers. With linux, you pick the hardware based on does the f-ing driver exist.

However, if you are rolling your own, the development tools in linux are better that windows, not to mention free.

Reply to
miso

I have to call you on this. i just made a 30 foot cable by cutting a 3ft USB extender in half and spliced in onto the end of some cat5 and captured 200 frames of video in 60 seconds while dropping about

  1. also tested a flash drive with a 50 foot cable by copying some rar files @32 seconds for a 35mb file, there was a "can go faster warnings" upon connection to USB.

you are not the only people to pass along this misinformation tho. i did see it documented several places alot of people preaching the deivces will not work at all past 15 feet without HUB. u guys must have stock in the Hub and active cable industry..lol

Reply to
divx dude

Yawn...

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.