USB iterface to read memory sticks

Hi.

I am new to this group, I have look through the archive (as much of the old archive as possible) but haven't found any solution.

I wish to interface a AVR Mega128 to read USB Memory Sticks or worst case PCMCIA Memory Flash Cards. Thus the USB I am loking for is a master rather than the off-the- shelf slave designs.

Can anyone kindly point me to a URL with such a interface design and/or such drivers.

All correspondence appreciated. Cheers Grahame grahame[at]wildpossum[dot]com

Reply to
Grahame

Ouch. All the USB master chipsets I've seen are PCI based.

That's easy enough. PCMCIA is pretty much ISA bus with a different connector: 20 address lines, 16 data lines, rd*, wr*, bhe*, and so on. I don't know the details of a Mega128, but if you've got an external bus with enough address and data lines all you need is a bit of glue logic for the bus control lines.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My life is a patio
                                  at               of fun!

Leo Havmøller.

Reply to
Leo Havmøller

I was talking to some Atmel tech/sales representative the other day, where I was told they do have such a thing. While they help you with the firmware driver for the embedded controller, you'll get a piece of binary code fitting to your cpu and the specified interrupts.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Check Cypress's site (

... they have some new small host devices targeted for the embedded applications...

- Dejan

Reply to
Deni

"Grahame" skrev i meddelandet news:40be97df$0$2301$ snipped-for-privacy@news.syd.swiftdsl.com.au...

AT43USB380 will do the job for you.

8 bit interface, and an embedded CPU that runs the USB host stack. The main CPU, in this case the ATmega128 will have to run the code for the device classes. Atmel will supply a precompiled library for this, and a simple API. There is a library that will allow you to run a USB memory stick. Would be VERY surprised if they do not have it for the AVR ...
--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

ATA Memory cards would be much easiler.

but not much else.

Seem like more extra hardware for 8 bits interface (8 bits -> USB ->

Flash). Compact Flash has native 8 bits memory mode interface or 16 bits ATA interface.

More cost for the IP core as well.

Would be surprise to be able to do anything else in addition to the USB stack.

If you need USB for something else, it might make sense. If you want USB for flash memory only, it doesn't make sense.

Reply to
Tech Support for IDE-CF

Why not do your homework first. With the ATmega128 + AT43USB380 you have two CPUs. The ATmega128 running the device class and the AT43USB380 running the USB Stack. The Device Class Library is free of charge, but low volume usage of the device is discouraged, unless the main CPU is already supported.

Many people run around with a USB flash device in their pocket or in their briefcase. Very few run around with an ATA Memory card.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
This is a personal view which may or may not be
share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

Instead of doing a two CPU solution (Atmel or Cypress or ...), why not go for a CPU which can do USB directly (e.g. here are HC08,HC12, CF, ARM cpus with USB).

--

42Bastian Do not email to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use @epost.de instead !
Reply to

Means it can act as USB host. Does it as well run as USB client ?

--

42Bastian Do not email to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-) Use @epost.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

Where do you take the USB host firmware from ? Can you afford to read manuals and do some tries for 6 months ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Those are almost always slave-only devices. The OP wants to be a master.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  You must be a CUB
                                  at               SCOUT!! Have you made your

"42Bastian Schick" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.de...

Yes, it is an OTG chip with both Host and Client function.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com
This is a personal view which may or may not be
share by my Employer Atmel Nordic AB
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

Maybe buy it ? This leads to the question: What is more expensive, having a two-chip design or a one-chip design with additional SW cost ?

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)