USB Superspeed Cables

I'm looking for good quality USB cables for superspeed devices. It didn't register with me that there would be a difference until my phone would not connect to Android Auto other than with one cable that came with a device that uses superspeed, probably a disk drive enclosure. I thought it was just a matter of intermittent connections in the ebay cables I had been buying. Then it dawned on me that superspeed requires specific design features in the cable. Duh!

Looking on the usual sources doesn't turn up a lot of good sources. I want it to be 3 ft/1 m which is common and blue because of the color coding I use for cables. Trying to find that combo is a bit of work and so far, nothing that isn't absurdly priced (like >$30) or of dubious sources (like companies that clearly don't want you to return anything so they make it as hard as possible).

Where do you buy superspeed cables? Specifically I'm looking for 3.1 gen 2 cables, but like with other revs that doesn't actually give a speed rating (well, maybe gen 2 does) since the standard is backwards compatible.

I was in MicroCenter a while back, but they don't really have a good selection of USB cables and they are 95% black. I hate black anything because it is invisible in the bottom of a bag. So many cables look the same in the deep dark recesses of a computer bag.

Reply to
Rick C

Forgot to mention Type A to Type C and it would be useful to have at least one with the Type C connector being right angled. I don't see the right angles very often. Anyone here use them? I find that works better for a cell phone in the car. It lets me set it in the cup holder with less strain on the connector.

Reply to
Rick C

Can you get super speed with a type A connector? I thought the super speed had an extra differential pair that isn't on an A connector.

Reply to
Dennis

yes, it looks and fits like a type A but has more connections (that only connect in the blue USB 3.0 SuperSpeed sockets)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Manards has good price cloth covered USB3 cables that were cheap. I went back and bought more. They are there as "gaming cables" for the Xbox. IOW microUSB.

Dang gas stations want $20 for the cheap ones. The one I found at Manards were cheap and high quality. My iPad cables were too. Whenever I go there I look in that isle for bargains.

I also paid like $34 for a DeWalt cloth covered high current multi- cable that has microUSB and Apple's and USB-C. The connector changes stay attached to the cable and cannot get lost.

Amazon and EBay both allow returns of some things, regardless of what the seller declares.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Lasse Langwadt Christensen snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

USB1 2 and 3 have the same number of pins.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

torsdag den 13. januar 2022 kl. 00.34.45 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org:

slowspeed,fullspeed and high speed all use the same pins, Superspeed uses extra pins

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not correct. USB 2.0 low speed, high speed and full speed all use four pins, two for power and two for data. USB 3 added five more pins in the Type A connector, recessed into the shell of the plug.

Here, this will help you understand.

Rick C

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 13 Jan 2022 06:36:27 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <sroh9a$mim$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow it's own rules that it uses to troll other posters.

qxXLzzy2P1hQ

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 13 Jan 2022 06:37:30 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <srohb9$mim$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow it's own rules that it uses to troll other posters.

x8Iosi08qXjh

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Lasse Langwadt Christensen snipped-for-privacy@fonz.dk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That is USB3.1 "Superspeed" The original USB3 did not have the extra pins.

So instead of jumping a whole number, they made it 3.1

So USB3 and USB3.1 are two different animals, but both are backward compatible with the slower form factors.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:13c69d8a-7b1b- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Oh I understand it. I posted a response.

I started decades ago on RS-232 9 pin serial connections and POTS modems.

I watched this new SERIAL standard since it started in '96. And used it and its many iterations since.

As you have as well I am sure.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Dope snipped-for-privacy@message.header wrote in news:srohb9$mim$5@dont- email.me:

You could not be a more stupid piece of shit if you tried.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 13 Jan 2022 09:20:22 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <sroqsm$qak$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

7P1ZYzXKgXQB
Reply to
Edward Hernandez

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 13 Jan 2022 10:05:48 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <sroths$22t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

This posting is a public service announcement for any google groups readers who happen by to point out that the John Doe troll does not even follow it's own rules that it uses to troll other posters.

ne2ENe6rsjmz

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Are you the guy they call "always wrong"?

Rick C

So not true. I love it. It brings a smile to my face every time. :)

Reply to
Rick C

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yes and the additional pins did not get added until superspeed was adopted and IS called USB 3.1

Are you the guy that posts wiki pages and you don't even read them? It is right there.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You like the troll, John Dope's contentless spam?

I guess it doesn't take much to exite a 40 IQ putz.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes, even when I put it right in front of your nose you can't see it. I notice you don't point to anything to support your view. Where on that page does it say the 3.0 standard supports superspeed (5 Gbps) on the old 2.0 style type A connector with just four pins? What you seem to be talking about is Superspeed+ (10 Gbps) if you want to actually read the documentation.

"The VBUS, D−, D+, and GND pins are required for USB 2.0 communication. The additional USB 3.0 pins are two differential pairs and one ground (GND_DRAIN)."

Is that clear enough for you? Can you hear me now? Use the link I provided and you can see the picture of the "USB 3.0 Standard-A plug (top) and receptacle (bottom), with annotated pins" where they clearly show the extra pins and the Superspeed logo.

Here's another link with another photo with a very clear caption explaining it uses the original 4 pins "and a second row of five pins for the new USB 3.0 connectivity". Notice they say "the new USB 3.0 connectivity", not 3.1.

In the USB 3.1 spec they tried to make it easier for the consumer to understand the original 5 Gbps mode and the new 10 Gbps mode by calling Superspeed, "USB 3.1 Gen 1" and Superspeed+, "USB 3.1 Gen 2". In USB 3.2 on Type C connectors only, they allow the use of the redundant connections (which allows the connector to be plugged in either way) to be used in parallel to allow SuperSpeed cables to transfer bits at 10 Gbps and SuperSpeed+ cables to transfer bits at 20 Gbps. These are called USB 3.2 Gen 1×2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2×2. These enhanced modes can not be used on Type A connectors because they do not have redundant SuperSpeed pins, just one set. So the x2 modes only work on USB cables with Type C connectors on both ends.

We all know the USB 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 versions support full speed operation at 480 Mbps on the basic 4 pin Type A connector. If that is what you are talking about fine. No disagreement. But SuperSpeed is supported by USB 3.0 at 5 Gbps on the additional 5 recessed pins on a Type A connector before USB 3.1 was available.

Yes, it would seem you are the guy they call "always wrong". I don't get why you won't read the information provided. Why do you insist on doubling down on being wrong?

Reply to
Rick C