unwanted audio feedback when connecting a device to a PC

I'm working on a project that is connecting an indoor mounted touch panel PC to a front-door mounted device (VDS) that has a speaker, mike, push button switch, and video camera. The VDS appears to have a built-in circuit to mute the speaker if someone talks, but not the other way around. And to make things difficult in the VDS, mic-out, speaker-in, and a push button switch are connected to the same wire. My first attempt connected this common line to both the PC's line-in and line-out jacks. I then used a comparator to determine when the button was pressed. The customer agreed with this approach, but when he tested it, he got feedback at his touch panel PC. This PC has both a speaker and a mike, and it does have a built-in echo cancellation circuit. The approach the customer wants to take now, is to replace the PCB in the VDS with a custom one that breaks out the mic, speaker and push button switch. This would sure make things easier. VDS mic-out would be connected only to PC line-in, VDS speaker-in would be connected only to PC line-out, and the switch would be connected, via a debouncer, to a digital-in line on the PC. I am concerned about audio feedback at the VDS - that the mic could pick up sounds from the speaker. I was thinking of solving this problem using a VOX like circuit, so that when audio was detected from the mike that the speaker would be disconnected, and when when audio is detected at speaker-in (PC line-out) that the mike would be disconnected. BTW, I did have a VDS for a while for testing, but never had the touch panel PC. I was using a standard PC for testing. Does this seem like a reasonable approach, or does anyone have better ideas? TIA

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

"Dave Pollum"

** Most intercoms have a handset at one end - eg most door intercoms for apartments. This solves the problem of mic speaker feedback cos the mic and speaker in the handset have poor acoustic coupling.

Using a VOX or "ducking" circuit may be OK, but not if the outdoor environment is subject to high background noise from traffic or aircraft etc. The ducking circuit would then be permanently activated.

If the mic at the PC end could be mounted on a stand or goose neck and be a dual element, noise cancelling type - that could produce similar poor acoustic coupling as seen with a handset. The person speaking at the PC has to get very close to the mic for it to work.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison