Connecting to an embedded Linux device over USB

I have a piece of hardware (drum machine) which I know runs a version of Busybox on an Intel Atom platform, I think.

It appears to have 256 megs of RAM and a gig of internal Flash storage.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to hopefully ssh into the device and gain root would be, as it seems there's a corrupted file in the Flash storage that's causing it to crash repeatedly when using its custom user file manager. I've tried doing a factory reset and reinstalling the latest OS from an SD card - it has both types of USB ports and two SD card slots to connect external storage - but apparently the factory reset didn't wipe the user partition of the Flash and the corrupted file remains.

When connected via USB to a Linux PC it appears under "lshw" as:

*-usb:2 description: Audio device product: Beat Thang vendor: BKE, LLC physical id: 3 bus info: usb@1:3.3 version: 2.25 capabilities: usb-2.00 audio-control configuration: driver=snd-usb-audio maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s

When Googling for information a Reddit user claimed to be able to ssh into the and examine the hardware capabilities and file system, but I wasn't able to contact him.

Any advice on where to begin?

Reply to
bitrex

[...]

Well, what happens when you try to ssh to it?

$ ssh -v root@

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Reply to
bitrex

How is it connected to the network? (RJ45/Ethernet, Wifi, etc.)

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! It's a lot of fun
                                  at               being alive ... I wonder if

USB is the only thing I have to work with...

Reply to
bitrex

According to lshw, it's a USB audio device.

You can't ssh to USB audio devices. In order to ssh to it, it needs a network connection. There is such a think as a USB network connection, but what you've got doesn't appear to have one.

Before you can ssh to it, you need to figure out how to get it connected to your local network. Perhaps there are optional Ethernet or Wifi add-ons?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Hmmm ... a CRIPPLED
                                  at               ACCOUNTANT with a FALAFEL

How are you (attempting to) access it's "custom user file manager"? Does the device let you plug a USB serial port adapter into the USB port? Or, a NIC?

Reply to
Don Y

Take the lid off and look for a header that might have a serial port on it. It's probably be a 3.3v port that you can attach a USB-serial adaptor to.

Also look out for any other internal ports that could be useful.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Den torsdag den 30. juni 2016 kl. 23.27.46 UTC+2 skrev bitrex:

open it up and find the ttl level serial port, I can't imagine it doesn't' have one

-Lasse

Reply to
lasselangwadtchristensen

Thanks, I have a USB to TTL serial cable so I'll give that a shot

Reply to
bitrex