Universal Health "Care"

"We" who? Please don't class the rest of us with yourself.

The Alfie issue is about power. The courts don't allow parents to have unlimited power to do as they please when it is not in the best interest of the child. Isn't that pretty clear?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

the courts represent the interest of the child since no one else does..

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Barf! We've had some bad cases here, but generally our courts have ruled in favor of parents/guardians when the hospital "doctors" declare no further care. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Jim deludes himself with the idea that the US is superior.

It's got a higher GDP per capita than most advanced industrial countries

It's less impressive on any number of other indices, largely because it's g ot much worse income inequality than most advanced industrial countries, an d a remarkably variable school system, which means that it does poorly on e ducational performance.

Australia doesn't do well, the UK is even less impressive, but the US is wa y below the OECD average.

The US looks rich because it got to be an advanced industrial country prett y early, and has had the chance to accumulate a lot capital investment in p lant and people. By not spending enough on education for the less well-off, it's frittering away it's human capital.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Compared to the UK the US does better in some ways and worse in some. I do find it weird when mericans insist the US must be better than everywhere else in every way. Maybe Americans take very few foreign holidays, other than to South & central America.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No, the courts represent the interests of the state, as always.

Reply to
krw

Or the Korean mess gets cleaned up.

Reply to
krw

And the interests of the state require that the situation be considered from the child's point of view, not that of the half-crazed parents.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's not weird - just ignorant and wrong. By no means all Americans think that way, but the kind of right-wing American nitwit that posts here can get quite vociferous about the correctness of their ill-informed points of view.

Jim may not be a nitwit (any more than Trump is), but he's ill-informed (just like Trump) and right wing and enthusiastic about a whole range of silly ideas.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You sir are a coprolite. There are a lot of them in Arizona.

Only if the parents/guardians have near infinite financial resources.

But what is the point of keeping a failing body alive artificially when there is no functioning brain and no possible hope of recovery? (unless you believe the Pope's laying on of hands will cure him)

US medicine is good for the super rich and deadly for the poor. It quickly makes anyone in the middle poor once they get seriously ill.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes, BUT......... even if the 'elsewhere' medical services can save his life, he will still have a *miserable* quality of life in the years and possibly decades to come - and at considerable expense to the UK health service, cos the parents are going to want to bring him home as soon as he's 'well' enough to travel back and they'll expect him to be looked after 24/7 with the aid of the state's resources regardless of cost. The courts *have* to take a dispassionate view of *all* the circumstances and it's not as simple as it might first appear.

Cursitor Doom

. Of course, that may change if Trump remains in power, but that's not too likely. There is only the slimmest chance he will be reelected. If were are attacked by the Islamic fundamentalists again, that might tip the scale s in his favor.

And Trump can make some sort of plausible case that he had something to do with it getting cleaned up.

Trump is a persistent and tolerably plausible liar, but if he couldn't get his Mexican wall built, or Obamacare dismantled, who is going to believe he managed to get Korea pacified?

There are some dreadfully gullible twits around, but probably not enough to re-elect him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yep, and here's how:

Cursitor Doom

I hear that Alfie has now duly died. Let's hope that this hugely off- topic thread dies with him...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Wouldn't go near Mexico or more south... why put yourself in harm's way?

For that matter, why go to Europe? Unless you're in to being treated rudely. Spend your money in a gracious place... like Australia!

We Americans do, unfortunately, take too few holidays... that work ethic you know... even _I_ "work" weekends... I'd go crazy without a puzzle to solve ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions,
              by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

That's pretty good. Originally yours or heard somewhere?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

No way. Not with you know who there.

Reply to
jurb6006

From the Facebook Propaganda Stream >:-}

It's really hilarious, all you "experts" on the US, when I'm sure that most of you have never even vacationed here.

You're definitely losers... that's how losers behave. ...Jim Thompson

                 What part of Europe are you from?
                    The part whose ass we saved,
                  Or the part whose ass we kicked?

You remember who started this thread, about what country's business, yes? I'm guessing self-awareness is how losers behave too?

Reply to
Ed Kellett

I've vacationed in the USA. But visited more often on business. However fortunately not had any contact with support systems there in either instance. (I thought it was typical that Americans thought "US" meant them, not, for instance, the USSR. Which was maybe, for a time (!) more united.)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon