Outrageous Spending: Feds Pay Millions for Lobster Tail, Booze, Toys in End of Year Spending Binge

About 1/2 the people I know don't like lobster. That means there is about 1 per year for the rest of us in the US. (About my consumption rate.) This is a fun read for lobster lovers, "The Secret Life of Lobsters:"

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The lobstermen operating off the coast of Maine are singlehandedly responsible for the near extinction of the right whale. Boycott them.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

About half the people I know are vegetarian or vegan and therefore don't eat lobster. Lobster is also not kosher. I presume the pentagon must be substituting lobster mushrooms for the real thing: There's no accounting for taste, but substitution is usually acceptable.

Incidentally, did you know that the number of US federal employees has been roughly constant at between 2 to 3 million since about 1950? During this time period, federal spending (and deficit) has increased dramatically. Each federal employee is now responsible for spending tax dollars on an ever increasing amount of (mostly outsourced) goods, services, and lobsters. For example, the government spent about $4 trillion dollars in 2018. That's: $4 trillion / 3 million_employees = $1.33 million/employee In 1950, the feds only spent $42 billion or $42 billion / 2 million_employees = $21,000 per employee Adjusting for about x10 inflation, that would still only be $210,000 per employee in 2018 dollars.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

n too, no? "

If it's for them and it is once in a while fine. But they shouldn't be spen ding a dime of military money on food other than for the boots on the groun d. Generals making $9,000 should pay for their own food unless they want to eat shit on a shingle at the mess hall.

You're right, it is a drop in the bucket. But a bucket of water is made out of drops. From where come these drops ?

And don't tell me not to "micromanage macroeconomics", that is EXACTLY how it should be done. One lobster at a time.

Reply to
jurb6006

You ain't seen shit;

"Countless sensitive crustaceans experienced an agonizing death when this truck rolled over and their bodies came crashing down onto the highway..."

I'm sure getting dumped in a pot of boiling water is much more pleasant.

Nothing surprises me anymore, much. Actually seeing people act in a logical manner is rare enough now to be noteworthy.

Reply to
jurb6006

I'm not aware of anything concerning US military food quality or quantity. However, as I haven't read anything in the news about any military style assault on restaurants and fast food dispensaries, I deduce that the food is considered adequate.

A friends two sons were both in the Air Force until about 5 years ago, I could ask her to ask them if they had ever been served a lobster dinner. However, she's presently angry at me and suspect that I won't receive a coherent answer.

Apparently, lobster was on everyone's menu in 2013 just before our slow motion pull out from Afghanistan: However, instead of spending money at the end of the year, we had to eat everything in sight let it be left to feed the locals.

A full general (4 stars) with 20 years of service (O-10) gets $17,639.25 per month plus approximately another months salary for housing expenses (BAH) which vary somewhat by location: That's about $230,000/year total. However, 90% of the base pay is taxable.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 11:30:08 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

about 16% of our annual service of the interest payment on our outsized $2

1 Trillion national debt! And it was just one month's plunder of the Treasu ry by these worthless people.

$293,245 on rib eye, top sirloin, and flank steak."

for their dedicated non-performance.

?Only someone with too much of someone else?s money and not enough accountability for how it was being spent could come up some of the se projects,? Coburn, R-Okla., said in a released statement.

Here's more of just the tip of the iceberg.

vernment-waste-1.309667

Here's another super-great performance by the Navy, all crooks and incompet ents.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No substantiating URL's or detail again. I guess I have to do the heavy lifting for you. In the future, if you're going to make such statements, it would be helpful if you supplied corroboration.

No mention of right whales being entangled or trapped by lobster pots:

300-350 whales left. Right whale population seems to have been increasing up to 2010, followed by a slow decrease. Also, no mention of lobsters: The major risks seems to be ship strikes and low birth rates.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Let me help you:

Endless publication of this issue.

It's a BIG issue.

Boycott Maine lobster!

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The latest crisis is that someone found a glow-in-the-dark deck marker under the dirt somewhere. The source is an RA226 alpha emitter embedded in plastic. I wish I had one of those.

Maybe we should evacuate the Peninsula.

lunatic fringe electronics

is about 16% of our annual service of the interest payment on our outsized $21 Trillion national debt! And it was just one month's plunder of the Tre asury by these worthless people.

ent $293,245 on rib eye, top sirloin, and flank steak."

ed for their dedicated non-performance.

not enough accountability for how it was being spent could come up some of these projects,? Coburn, R-Okla., said in a released statement.

petents.

LOL- definitely. It needs to be capped and put permanently off limits.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The deck marker or the San Francisco peninsula?

lunatic fringe electronics

unt is about 16% of our annual service of the interest payment on our outsi zed $21 Trillion national debt! And it was just one month's plunder of the Treasury by these worthless people.

spent $293,245 on rib eye, top sirloin, and flank steak."

taled for their dedicated non-performance.

/

nd not enough accountability for how it was being spent could come up some of these projects,? Coburn, R-Okla., said in a released statement.

competents.

The Treasure Island fiasco.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

TI is just 0.9 square miles of soggy land fill. Some of it is sinking into the bay, which is no surprise.

lunatic fringe electronics

der

be

on

I find it amusing that people think that Trump actually has a "philosophy" rather than careening from issue to issue making what ever statement seems to sound the best at that moment. This is easy to show, just look up the m any, many times Trump has reversed himself. The one thing he never seems t o reverse himself on is in admitting that he does reverse his statement.

Uh, how is Mexico paying for the wall if Trump is making the military pay f or it?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

SOP. If at the end of the budget year, you have not spent all of your allocation, then you MUST spend down to/near zero else you will not get it next budget year.

Rule has been around for ages.

Robert Baer

There's been a glut of US lobsters since Trump's trade attacks on China and many other countries, so eating large numbers of lobsters dipped in good Wisconsin butter is actually the patriotic thing to do.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

is about 16% of our annual service of the interest payment on our outsized $21 Trillion national debt! And it was just one month's plunder of the Trea sury by these worthless people.

nt $293,245 on rib eye, top sirloin, and flank steak."

d for their dedicated non-performance.

It's not actually a rule. The GAO and Congress don't actually worry over t his stuff. Every budget is zero based. You have to justify every penny in your budget every year. This is the perception by the people spending the money and there is no reward for not spending it.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Change the rule: 5% of any unspent money becomes bonuses.

lunatic fringe electronics

Why? The uncertainty of civil service pay is intended to be zero, a 'bonus' would be inappropriate unless it were for civil service. Pennypinching is not equal (or even similar) to civil service. People can come to depend on bonuses, and that's NOT good in a political sensitive job. In the case of a bureaucracy (lots of cogs with mechanical rules to follow) it's ludicrous.

Suckering folk into regular jobs in the civil service, then interrupting their paychecks over boondoggle funding is... even worse.

Reply to
whit3rd