Car Toys

What do people have in the add on electronics device area?

We've just take delivery of a new vehicle that "networks' via bluetooth and USB; aka icons in smartphone manual indicate ipod, apple car play, android auto, windows media, dts neural surround, dokby volume, PremiDIa, Digital Radio, HDMI, and Bluetooth. HoHum for marketing BS.

Has anyone cracked/hacked these services to roll their own devices. It would be good to use the in car display screen, rather than mount something else.

We do carry a smartphone when travelling for emergencies, but since it is android and thus parasited by Google, we do not want to use it through the vehicle.

Priority is maps through openstreetmap and if anyone has rolled their own, I'd be interested in how they have done it.

TIA

Reply to
news18