OT: "Thousand Watt Shock"

One of the few things I stay in touch with since leaving the UK is Radio

2's Jeremy Vine show, available to me nowadays via the internet. Vine is totally unique among BBC presenters for being genuinely impartial and betraying no bias towards any of his callers, whom he all treats with the same respect. Anyway, Vine's on holiday this week, so this woman sat in for him. One of the features was on this electrician who was sick of having his van broken into and all his tools stolen at 6k pounds a time, so he designed a little current-limited inverter to give any potential thief a thousand volt shock - harmless but impossible to ignore! After this bloke had explained about the device and what prompted him to design it, the listeners were allowed to phone in and say their 2p worth about it. By the time that item was over, the public's massive ignorance about matters electrical was revealed. The final caller remarked, "no way would that thing give a thousand volt shock, if it did it would kill you instantly; our 240v mains is lethal enough!" This 'expert' went on to explain: "he must have meant a 1000 WATT shock" to which the lady who was sitting in for Vine replied, "Ah, thank you so much for clearing that confusion up." And that was it. The time allowed had expired and the show ended with no opportunity for anyone else to properly explain the true situation. The great British public, eh?
Cursitor Doom

The local paper once had an ad for an ozone generator touting all the healt h "benefits". I wrote a letter to the editor about how harmful ozone gener ators can be. The vendor replied with a bunch of pseudo-science which I wa nted to address. The paper said they didn't want to encourage back and for th debates so would not publish a reply letter. :(

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

1000 watts would be a killer-watt. I expect the caller didn't have the chance to deliver the punchline, but then I don't listen to Radio Alzheimer as it was known when I worked in BH.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

One of my favorite popular-press engineering units is kW/h, which is the rate of change of power. Utilities apparently bill people for this.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't think it is literally kW/h. I think it is just delta kW, also called demand charges. This is why a bank of motors are not started all at once.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

I suspect that's more to do with inductive reactance and the stinginess of companies not wanting to shell out for banks of large capacitors.

Cursitor Doom

It has to do with people with journalism degrees who don't understand engineering units.

You know, the people who define "million" and "billion" as synonyms.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The power company doesn't charge any different for motors or lightbulbs. They do charge extra to commercial customers based on peak load vs. average. The run up is quite steep.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

the unit they usually mean is kWh not kW/h

Reply to
bitrex

Tell them there's no "Daylight Savings Time" either, you can't put daylight into the Daylight Savings and Loan banking system

and that classic Rush song is called "The Spirit of Radio" not "The Spirit of the Radio" it's not about a ghost that lives inside a radio.

Reply to
bitrex

Neat idea, so long as it's current limit doesn't go wrong... I often thought of something similar using capacitive touch chips, using the car chasis as one plate and sounding an alarm ... but never pursued it.

TTman

I've since read other reports that state he cannibalised a cheap Chinese fly swatter. *If* true, it kind of puts his efforts in a different perspective.

Way back in the dim and distant past I did actually do a similar thing with the first car I ever owned. But I was 17 at the time and this was pre-health & safety days, so I just hooked the bodywork up to a live wire from the 240V mains! Around the same time, one of the local coppers turned up to take a statement from me about the thefts that had prompted my ingenious solution. I showed him what I'd done and he told me he thought it was a great idea! Those were the days (late 60s) when coppers could use common sense and personal discretion, though. If I did that today I'd probably be arrested and prosecuted. :(

One last thing - I used to have terrible problems with the neighbourhood cats pissing on the car's wheels, but after I rigged up that wire I never even so much as saw them ever again.

Cursitor Doom

Even in the 60s, if you set such a clearly dangerous trap and killed someon e, it would be at least manslaughter if not second degree murder since you were likely committing a felony by setting the trap in the first place. Ev en then the courts had common sense about such idiotic ideas.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Sometimes CD and his stories make me think of Walter Mitty.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are not permitted in most states AFAIK to place 'booby traps' on any of your doors or windows on your house or your car.

The reason is that a first responder would be getting hurt trying to put out a fire by entering your burning house through a booby trapped window.

When I worked in arcade gaming, the guys doing the collecting would have 2 or 3 thousand dollars in their trunk safe, but I could not set HV shock traps on them. In fact, the cops said they cannot even charge a robber until he actually places cash booty in hand.

I can't believe that I cannot do a number on a guy standing at my trunk with a wonder bar in his hand.

Where is my home enhanced taser when I need it?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Woah! Stop right there. I was living in the UK at the time and you don't commit a "felony" in the UK then or now. You cannot take US laws, procedures and attitudes and just assume the same kind of system applies in all other countries!

Cursitor Doom

As if that's the only reason.....

Probably not for actual theft, but there certainly are other charges that could apply, like attempted burglary, if you were caught trying to break into the safe in the trunk of a car you don't own. But the cops would typically prefer to let them get further, so the case is stronger and the charges more serious.

Just what we need, an angry hot head who's always wrong, administering street justice.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

I didn't start living the UK until the 1970s, and I recall a couple of people going to prison for catching potential burglars in dangerous traps.

It might not have been called a felony, but the legal system didn't tolerate it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Is there any nit you won't pick? So to be equally pedantic...

"The term felony originated from English common law (from the French mediev

cation of a convicted person's land and goods, to which additional punishme nts including capital punishment could be added.[1] Other crimes were calle d misdemeanors. A felony is traditionally considered a crime of high seriou sness, whereas a misdemeanor is regarded as less serious.[2] A felon is a p erson who has committed a felony. Following conviction of a felony in a cou rt of law, a person may be described as a convicted felon."

I have no idea how this detail relates to the discussion at hand.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Whoey Louie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

When retards like you spout retarded cracks like this, it calls for you to eat an 0.80" extreme overbore dinner.

That would truly be your basic, simple justice. Run to google now, child. Go find out what "0.80" extreme overbore means" since I know you are clueless about it currently. Come on over for breakfast.

Here's a hint: "Face Off".

Naaaah... more like "Head Off".

A new acronym! Instead of FOAD. HOAD!