Moire and superconductivity

Physicists make graphene discovery that could help develop superconductors

Jan Panteltje

I bet a major invention is only ten years away!

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

I love the 'enduring mystery' part. quoting, "Now, a team has paved the way to solving one of the most enduring mysterie

pattern in graphene, electrons organize themselves into stripes, like soldi ers in formation."

Since graphene has only been around for ~10 years, it seems enduring mysteries don't have to last very long these days.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm sure that this will have as many amazing applications as buckyballs and nanobuds and carbon nanotubes.

Does Digikey have the fast nonvolatile nanotube RAMs in stock?

 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Thu, 1 Aug 2019 12:05:54 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

It is just text, What fascinates me is the link to 'electron paring' and super conduction. THAT mystery has been around a long time. If it was so one can force electron pairing by making the right moire pattern by aligning crystal patterns, we will REALLY have something BIG. Room temperature superconductors?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The rate of technological 'progress' does seem to have slowed*. We've picked all the low hanging fruit... even with thousands of researchers, it's hard to find something new and useful.

We had "future shock" in the '70's.. but today fizzles.

George h.

*(except for computers)
Reply to
George Herold

It is easy to mock blue sky research in the early stages.

How many people will be able to afford a 4" synthetic ruby crystal and a massive capacitor bank flash gun to make it lase?

Answer turns out to be that after a while with a different technology they become consumer items in almost everything.

You cannot tell in advance which will be winners and which are dead ends. My US venture capitalist friends who invested in our start up (when no-one in the UK would touch us with a barge pole) said their rule of thumb was 8/10 crash and burn, 1 lingers and 1 goes like a rocket. The latter pays for all of the others.

No but various forms of carbon fibre are being used to strengthen aeroplane wings and other serious engineering structures.

I suspect graphene will have its day in the sun after a few false dawns. It is astonishing that it lay undiscovered for so long when all you needed was a piece of graphite, Sellotape and grim determination.

Having 2-D constrained systems makes the mathematics a lot easier. It may well provide insights into room temperature super conductors.

Likewise for buckeyballs until they were discovered on Earth. Astronomers had been puzzled by the spectrum of stellar dust for some considerable time. Basically the opposite of helium.

BTW I have a sense of deja vu about this article. I'm sure I read it somewhere a couple of months back complete with diagrams.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

OK, SC graphene was found in 2018

But it's two thin sheets and has to be cooled to 1.7 K. (a long way from room temp.)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Thu, 1 Aug 2019 12:36:15 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

OK, but if you can create 'electron highways' like that it unlocks it (the mystery) for any crystal, at any temperature. And switching from insulator to super conductor by twisting crystal lattices could make a nice switch to (say control with a piezo). [ Usenet patent by me ]. Hey your jealous of those guys?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

OK, I don't know of course. Here's arxiv of paper.

Nah, I did low temperature work at the Uni. PITA... table top stuff is better.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

tors

Big discoveries have always been hard. Future Shock was about the rapid ad vance of technology directly in contact with people. That is still happeni ng and future shock is still with us. How many in this group still don't h ave smart phones? Being an older group we don't assimilate technology chan ges so rapidly.

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

And, even worse, it's well below the temperature of liquid helium at atmospheric pressure, which makes it harder to achieve...

BTW I thought graphene was only one atom thick, as two-dimensional as you can get.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

uctors

advance of technology directly in contact with people. That is still happe ning and future shock is still with us. How many in this group still don't have smart phones? Being an older group we don't assimilate technology ch anges so rapidly.

Besides computers and related technology, how much change is happening thes e days? Except for the 'screens' how different is my home from what it was like in the 70's?

(Now got back another 50 years... how much different where homes in the 192

0's?) future shock is over.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Thu, 1 Aug 2019 13:12:37 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

I just sat down, eat icecream and apple juice.. and had the strangest ideas.

-- Just imagine if superconductivity indeed depends on the exact angle between crystal lattices, and when temperature gets higher due to motion that angle becomes more 'chaotic' noise basically WOULD that be an explanation why some combination of materials are better.. THEN I though: What if you could cancel that crystal vibration electrically by some frequency say having the things in resonance, like a laser beam or sound beam can hold particles. WOW! could that bring the superconducting temperature point up higher? And then it would explain why in some superconductors a too high current stops the super conduction...

OK now I will read your paper OK, 32 pages, some a bit over my head, will have to read again. so could I, by using electric signals, make my little YBCO-123 disk superconducting at room temperature?

The secret .. Apple juice, I always liked that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The sheets do have bonding between them. It's just rather loose van der Waals forces that are not so hard to break compared to covalent bonds within a sheet.

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

No, it's faster than ever, but the rate of press releases has grown exponentially.

 Click to see the full signature

Easy because maybe one press-release breakthrough in 10,000 ever amounts to anything.

 Click to see the full signature

nductors

d advance of technology directly in contact with people. That is still hap pening and future shock is still with us. How many in this group still don 't have smart phones? Being an older group we don't assimilate technology changes so rapidly.

ese days?

n the 70's?

920's?)

What was "shocking" about 70's homes compared to 20's? We had better appli ances, but that's not too hard to cope with. Not really "shock". All the modern cell phone, laptop, electric car stuff is much harder to adjust to t han a vacuum cleaner. That all goes without mentioning the Internet that w e are using to communicate with people anywhere on the Earth and even in ou ter space!

Yes, future shock is with us now. At least that what Alexa told me.

--
  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

The funding agencies all went Hollywood thirty years ago. For success in academia, you need skill in astroturfing your way to fame, as well as knowing which end of a turbopump to hold.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

When I went to Tulane, I don't think they even had a press release team.

 Click to see the full signature