OT: "Graduated" Today

Oh, just a little more radiation, then!

My boss was going to get a cataract removed, but when they had him in, they did an EKG and found he was, at most, weeks from a major heart attack. No stent would work, he had to have the full bypass job. But, he's doing great now.

So, yes, finding these nasty things earlier is always helpful! Hope it all goes well! Pancreatic is definitely one of the nasty ones.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Sadly, Jim isn't one of them, but Cursitor Doom wouldn't know that. Anybody who takes Julian Barnes seriously and believes what he reads in the Mail hasn't got a clue about critical thinking.

One has to wonder what Cursitor Doom means when he talks about "critical thinking". He must think it means "the kind of thinking that Cursitor Doom finds convincing" which the rest of us would describe as right-wing propaganda aimed at the brain-damaged.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Won't really matter... I already glow in the dark >:-}

Thank God for accidental discoveries! ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"Long live impudence! It is my guardian angel in this world."

"It is important to foster individuality, for only the individual
can produce the new ideas."

                              -Albert Einstein

Since Cursitor Doom can't recognise critical thinking when he runs into it - and it gets thrown at him frequently - it's not a matter of him forgetting, but rather his incapacity to recognise it (which Jim does share).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Sadly, Jim isn't one of them, but Cursitor Doom wouldn't know that. Anybody who takes Julian Barnes seriously and believes what he reads in the Mail hasn't got a clue about critical thinking.

One has to wonder what Cursitor Doom means when he talks about "critical thinking". He must think it means "the kind of thinking that Cursitor Doom finds convincing" which the rest of us would describe as right-wing propaganda aimed at the brain-damaged.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

No, that would be *crapital* thinking. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

LOL, that reminds me of the time my son was about 4 years old and smashed his face on the concrete riding his skateboard. We took him to the ER room, checked in, We had sat for over an hour with my son's scratched up and bruised face and head when, He looked at me and said, "dad, is there any food around here" I looked at him and said, "Mav, I think your OK, let's go home, we'll clean you up and eat. We can save this money for the dermatologist." Jim, I think your OK, your picking on the usual suspects!

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

"Round up the usual suspects"... Casablanca (1942) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"Long live impudence! It is my guardian angel in this world."

"It is important to foster individuality, for only the individual
can produce the new ideas."

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth."

                              -Albert Einstein

Because you can't think straight. Colin Ferguson was psychotic, and his del usions drove him shoot a bunch of strangers. The particular set of delusion s that he used to justify what he did don't matter much.

The kind of psychotic thinking that reduces other people to pawns on a ches s-board who can be taken off the board at will, is a little too common for comfort. You think about immigrants that way, Jim thinks about liberals tha t way and Trump has got all Muslims in his sights. Stretching that to a jus tification for shooting a few of them - as Jim has - rarer, and actually sh ooting other people is rarer still.

But it's the degree of psychosis that matters, not the nature of the justif ying delusion.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

They must be really good to tell all that from an EKG! (not buyin' it

- BTDT).

Reply to
krw

Congradulations. I had colon rectal cancer and now have to poop into a bag. I had 30 radiation treatments and they gave me a full bottle of pain killers. But I usually just bought a bottle of booze to kill the pain. My weight dropped to 138. But I got used to the bag routine. I can go into a public restroom and get out faster than anyone else. Nobody can take a shit faster than I can.

Reply to
billbowden

There's always a positive side to every disaster ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"Long live impudence! It is my guardian angel in this world."

"It is important to foster individuality, for only the individual
can produce the new ideas."

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth."

                              -Albert Einstein

Not to me.

Depends on your height, and whether you do much running or swimming, and whether you care about being healthy.

What is classed as "normal" today, i.e. what the majority seem to be, is actually "fat" by standards of 50 years ago.

I'm 172cm and 60kg, with a BMI of 20.5. At 58, I feel my running pace of

8:22 mpm (26 mins) for the 5k, despite being twice as slow as the pros, is rather respectable, and would be extremely difficult to do if I was 90kg.

The likelihood of someone being excessively "skinny" in the west, against being "fat" is in the noise. Mortality is actually a J curve, not a U curve with BMI. You have to be really, really underweight for their to be a medical problem worth mentioning at all. Usually its the fat people trying to justify the fact that they are fat. They are usually seeking an accomplice.

I am on somewhat of an evangelist approach at the moment since getting into the health kick. It has really hit me that a full 10% of the UK NHS budget is spent on treating type 2 diabetes, which is caused and totally curable simply by diet and exercise. i.e eat less and actually do some exercise. This will free up funds for treating kids with leukaemia, for example.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

We are the same height. I'll probably put back on a few pounds... I need to restore some muscle mass atrophied away during my "ordeal". ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"Long live impudence! It is my guardian angel in this world."

"It is important to foster individuality, for only the individual
can produce the new ideas."

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth."

                              -Albert Einstein

And you don't even need to wipe your arse on the way out. Way to go, Bill! :)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

68kg for that height is fine. Its a BMI=23.

The realty is, most (i.e. non body builders) with a BMI at the 25 cut-off point, have loose flab flapping around, typically the beer belly, that would be better fixed by some gym work and staying off the pastries.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Praying that it works well and you'll get through this. Ask the doc if Shiraz or Barbera would be a good remedy :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Seems to help the stomach nausea >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"Long live impudence! It is my guardian angel in this world."

"It is important to foster individuality, for only the individual can produce the new ideas."

"A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth."

-Albert Einstein

But not staying off the beer though eh, Kev? ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom