Computer frooze today.

Hello,

My DreamPC from 2006 with passively cooled graphics card and a new motherboard and new harddisks as described in other messages through the years, suddenly frooze today.

COMPLETE FREEZE. I had to press the reset button on the PC case !

This hasn't happened in ages but today it happened.

The software being run was:

  1. Windows Live Messenger (I rarely use it)

  1. Skybuck's UDP File Transfer version 2.97

  2. Some other apps maybe like ms paint, some version of word.

The PC is probably using debug drivers for cuda 4.2 debugging or so, that could also be the issue, maybe a graphics driver frooze up.

  1. Played X-Com today.

  1. Played Startrek today.

  2. There was also an adobe updated on reboot ???

Also two out of four harddisk are bad, I know that... the freeze up during boot but only a few minutes or so.

I have disconnected them to rule out that possiblity from now on.

I suspect it was a software bug, perhaps caused by number 2, my app.

I have seen it freeze before, it's kind of weird. It's also kinda annoying how windows chances colors among different versions it makes my app look shit.

The newer unreleased version seems to have some weird ipv6/unicode problem, or maybe it's a windows/winsock bug... dont know about yet will have to investigate.

But now the REAL reason why I write this message:

The fair (kermis in dutch) is happening again. Big machines requiering lot's of power probably.

I wonder if this "fair" (machines for amusement) which is 100/200 meters away from here or so.... has something to do with it ?

It could also be an electrical issue with my appertment or neighbours.

  1. Light bulb blew at least a few days ago, there were actually two inside of the lamp, in my bedroom, not sure if they both blew at the same time.

  1. Another light bulb blew in my main living room, also some weeks ago or so I think.

  2. The cable modem acted weird on saturday, not sure why, could be isp updating cable speed, or perhaps they thought I was behind an announced denial of service attack and decided to cut me off prematurely ?!

I think I got an email about these updates I will have to check the dates.

I couldn't find any posting of myself referring to my suspicion about the "fair" on google/the internet ! ;) :)

But maybe it was deleted already by the archiving systems... I shall have to inspect my microsoft outlook to see if it's maybe in there.

The fair and my PC freezing could just be coincidence... or maybe there is more too it.

That's why I post this RIGHT NOW as the fair is happening.

If my computer does blow up/goes kaputt in the following few days, then maybe the FAIR has something to do with it.

To be FAIR to them lol... funny... I shall also mention that I connected a headset to my PC, something I fear because of potentially electrical discharges...

So that could also have something to do with it.

If next year my computer freezes again while there is a FAIR then I am not going to be happy about that ! ;)

If anything else happens to my computer then I will report about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's my only working decent computer at the moment and it must not die until the year 2016 when I will buy a new one ! ;) =D

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

You were quiet for a while. Did you spend some time in a freezer?

--
groeten, pleerol (pleelol, in het Chinees) :-)
Iedereen heeft gelijk, want niet iedereen IS gelijk.

Must have been one of those 'Cold days in Hell' we hear about.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, he was in lock up.. His term must be completed! Too bad! :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Goblins. All Hallows' Eve (Hallowe'en to kids) is approaching.

Reply to
BeeJ

Ever consider calculating the soft error rate of your RAM? Without ECC (error correction), a typical computah is going to about 1 bit error, per hour, per gigabyte or more, depending mostly on exposure to various types of radiation. Most of the time, the affected bit is in an area of memory that you're not using. Therefore, there's no effect until perhaps days later, when the operating system stumbles over the flipped bit, and hangs. Power line glitches can also cause such problems. This is why servers use ECC RAM.

If your NightmarePC 2006 computer supports ECC RAM, you may wish to replace ALL your RAM with ECC RAM. However, that does nothing for the various peripherals, video RAM, hard disk controller, and peripherals, none of which offer ECC, and any of which can be affected by radiation.

Your best bet is to expand the size of your tin foil hat. While you can't do anything for internally generated nuclear particles, you can reduce the effects from those arriving from outer space. Covering the computah with pure lead sheet: might help. Putting as much dirt as possible between your computer and the sky will also help. Therefore, I suggest you move to a cave or an abandoned lead mine for maximum protection.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

But, But, there's that lead poisoning problem!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

That was part of the plan. What lead poisoning does is irreversible brain damage. Since his brain is already damaged beyond repair, I don't see how any additional damage could hurt.

Only slightly more seriously, one of my Mac customers called with a problem. Their MacBook Pro was partly hung. For fun, I sent them to the shell prompt [Alt][F2] and had them run uptime. 58 days and something. I had to explain to them how to reboot the computer, as they had never done it intentionally before.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

En el artículo , Jeff Liebermann escribió:

preferably without power or internet.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)

En el artículo , Jeff Liebermann escribió:

this is a server I rebooted last year ;)

 (\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The new one? Is it any good?

If your PSU is about to die, then yes.

Consider getting some new capacitors(of right values/sizes/Impedance etc.) for your mainboard + PSU. They do not seem to live any longer than

6 years nowadays... and while you're at it buy some fitting MOV's for PSU's netfilter, too. A new PSU may be cheaper...
Reply to
Johann Klammer

Google for Skybuck's review of x-com 2012 ;) :)

Bye, Skybuck :)

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Apperently the boot freezing remains, so it probably has to do with something else, maybe file disk mounting...

Hmmm...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

So very maybe it was a freeze like the boot freeze hmmm... could be a vhd driver issue.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

[snip]

My son's PC had the same problem. While it was restarting after I checked the RAM's there was (according to my son, I didn't see it) a ball of light inside the PC case, and sparks close to the RAM's. And a few seconds later a terrible smell: the mobo burned out. Later I realized the problem probably was the mobo's battery. Maybe that's your PC's problem as well?

--
Jan Pieter. Zijn favoriete PC was verdwenen. Er lag een
afscheidsbriefje met de woorden: 'niemand begrijpt mij'.

I don't think that little battery would ever cause sparks anywhere under any circumstances.

Reply to
Al Drake

The ATX supply can provide enough power for a "ball of light".

The CPU regulator (VCore) is probably also capable of making a light show if shorted out. While it has overcurrent protection, it also has a relatively high power rating. I've seen a picture of one motherboard, where an area a couple inches all around the processor socket was charred, from a plane-to-plane short circuit. The sheet copper got so hot, it burned up the FR4 PCB material.

I was working in our lab at work one evening, with someone working about ten feet from me. His head was inside a large computer case (9u VME, maybe

20 slots or so). He was using a scope probe, and managed to short out the 5V supply, through a pin on a DIP IC. There was a burst of pure, white light, which cast a shadow of his head and body, onto the lab ceiling. After about two seconds, the leg on the IC completely burned off and the light level in the lab returned to normal. Naturally, this scared the crap out of the poor guy. It turns out the power supply was rated for 5V @ 100A (we hadn't really thought about the rating, before working on the project), so the supply could burn through just about any kind of fault in the computer. Impressive.

The tiny CR2032 could not do that. It couldn't deliver 100A. The battery may be sufficient to run small hobby motors, but I wouldn't expect more than that from it. A datasheet I have here, suggests around 0.16A on a short. In the motherboard circuit itself, a series 1K ohm resistor prevents more than

3mA from flowing in any case. To draw more current, you have to touch the shiny top of the cell, to an adjacent ground. The circuit itself is current limited to no more than 3mA. The in-circuit load is 10 micro amps, so the 1K resistor isn't hurting anything in terms of circuit performance. The voltage drop is hardly noticeable (10 microamps * 1000 = 0.01V drop).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Ah yes, the scope probe disaster scenario. A good chip usually has some current limiting scheme to protect from the dude with the scope probe. Often the short circuit protection isn't even stated in the datasheet since it doesn't have a strict limit. [You design the current limiter so it would never be hit under normal operation over all temps and process corners.]

Even though the current limit circuit would probably never be tested in operation, you need to get past the design-in phase. If the customer blows up a part and is to blame for it, you still might not get the design win if the competitor's product didn't blow up during the same fiddling phase of design.

Reply to
miso

[snip]

" My son's PC had the same problem. While it was restarting after I checked the RAM's there was (according to my son, I didn't see it) a ball of light inside the PC case, and sparks close to the RAM's. And a few seconds later a terrible smell: the mobo burned out. Later I realized the problem probably was the mobo's battery. Maybe that's your PC's problem as well?

-- Jan Pieter. Zijn favoriete PC was verdwenen. Er lag een afscheidsbriefje met de woorden: 'niemand begrijpt mij'. Gelukkig heeft JP zijn hond nog:

"

Hello thank you for writing to me, though this is a somewhat old thread :)

Most of my computer problems have been solved, except boot times take 10 minutes but I solve that by sleeping the PC.

Only issue remaining nowadays which is a new phenomenon is the break out box for X-Fi Elite Pro seems to hang/freeze up.

So volume control for surround sound system doesn't work anymore.

And red lights blinking on it which I wrote before about... it's quite odd/weird.

As a matter a fact it didn't do that before... so that's really weird. Maybe frequency/sound of fans changed.

I tried to place it at a bigger distance from PC case it helps a little bit... but its's still picking up signals.

So maybe it's not coming from the PC.

New theory/hypothesis: Maybe the PC's CASE is reflecting signals into the breakout base.

Maybe the PC's case is working a little bit like a big antenna.

Anyway...

Now back to your problem and son's observed spark... never before have I seen a light bulb inside the PC or anything like that.

The only time I saw a flash... was probably when some old chinese power supply blew !

I am not sure what caused it... either too much wattage was being drawn from wall socket.

Or my best guess: the power supply buckled because of gravity... and the clearing was not enough anymore and it short circuited !

Which is very dangerous I think ! the electricty went off and I was in the midst of darknes... later that night I had a nightmare... about the lights going out... me moving to the window and seeing aliens outside...

Quite scary... if I remember correctly it was when I turned on the light... but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me... it probably wasn't like that... maybe the light sparkled a bit.

Anyway... there was a blow out from the back of the PC and a little flash.

Anyway... main reason I write is that if it's the power supply sparking your son might be in danger...

I don't think it's that's the case... but one can't be carefull enough.

Try to inspect the power supply for any black markings... especially on the inside...

If it has any of those it's dangerous.

Anyway... also check if it's chinese... and from alluminium/flimsy... these are not to be trusted.

Nowadays... I have strong power supplies... more properly build... still some glue here and there in it... which is less ideal but ok.

That's at least my practical experience.

Maybe it will help you or maybe not.

Take care, see ya later.

(Fair has started again by the way...)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

" The ATX supply can provide enough power for a "ball of light". "

I agree with that. He/she should definetly check the power supply... it could cause a short circuit or maybe even death.

This incident is not to be taking lightly.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying