Geocities goes dark after today

If you have any Geocities bookmarks, now would be a good time to find the new location for those pages.

If you cut a string from the page today and paste it into Google as a phrase

you should be able to find a dupe.

Adding &filter=0 to the URL lists all instances.

Of the 7 Geocities pages I had bookmarked, only 1 guy hasn't put up a new page (or at least that's what Google said).

Reply to
JeffM

On 10/26/2009 1:27 PM JeffM spake thus:

I have a GeoShitties page that I'm just going to let die ...

David Nebenzahl

Have you looked at archive.org to see if it is archived there?

Note: The Wayback Machine doesn't store images--only text; it would be good to make backups of graphics if you ever wanted to bring it back to life.

has a "tribute" page today as well.

Reply to
JeffM

On 10/26/2009 5:29 PM JeffM spake thus:

Couldn't care less if it is archived.

I always get a laugh when people start going on about how one should always back up stuff you put up on a website. As if I would ever put files on a site and *not* have them on my computah. (I know you didn't mean it that way, but still.)

David Nebenzahl

st-of-England&filter=0

Could I remind anyone doing any rescuing/ re-siting etc to add the original geocities URL to the page, for search engines and so later searchers, to cross-refer backwards

N_Cook

On 10/26/2009 1:27 PM JeffM spake thus:

I just checked my stuff on Geocities; it's still there. So when are they going to pull the plug?

David Nebenzahl

Oh man, I had a geocities page back in the... mid-90's maybe? Whenever it first came in to existence. Does this mean I can pretend I am slightly older and wiser now?

Reply to
Jake

On 10/27/2009 6:18 AM Jake spake thus:

Hey, you can *always* pretend that. I often do.

David Nebenzahl