OT: China Cuts E-vehicle Subsidies

That's exactly what i've been saying. Drop EV vehicle subsidies and put the money in charging subsidies. I would go one step further and i said "EV Charging: Let It Be Free".

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

the trade war. Commodity purchasing isn't done by establishing irreversibl e patterns.

peaked in Aug, 2012 around $17 a bushel. Since then there have been many p rice drops even below today's prices.

eans overall is expected to slow. Their farmers are using less protein in t heir animal feed -- which is a primary use for soybeans. Plus, African swin e fever hurt their hog industry last year, so there are fewer hogs to feed. "

e changes. Commodity markets are complex.

So, Trump was lying again when he he said the $8 bil in emergency welfare for rich farmers was needed because of the trade war with China? Best part is that some of those who qualified included Chinese companies, because they own companies here now. Ain't that a hoot? We're borrowing money and giving to American farmers and the Chinese, instead of selling China our crops. Pure madness that only trumptards could think makes sense.

BTW, if tariffs are good and trade wars are easy to win, after over a year of fighting, why hasn't Trump won one yet?

Reply to
trader4

Well, duh? China put a TARIFF on US soybeans in retaliation for Trump's tariffs on their products.

They are smart enough to not point that out, rather use the lower soybean purchasing numbers as bargaining levers even if the numbers won't return to former levels after the trade conflict is resolved.

ROFL

The lame attempts at diversion by trumptards never ceases to amaze.

Do you think Trump consulted advisors on likely outcomes BEFORE he decided to duke it out with the Chinese? Why not start with a trade war with Ethiopia to test out your weapons?

We don't need to test anything to know what happens. And it would be stupid to think that what happens with Ethiopia has any relevance to what happens with China.

Reply to
trader4

You guys are crazy about EVs, but what do you do after a major storm when t he grid is down for months? How do you evacuate half a state during a hurri cane? Even gasoline is in short supply after hurricanes, I've lived through many of them, where the only electricity available was emergency shelters and hospitals. No one is going to let you charge an EV at one of these loca tions, since they are unsure of replacement fuel deliveries. I have gone cl ose to three months without electricity as thousands of poles are replaced, and downed lines are spliced. During and after Irma, the ONLY source to bu y food for a month was a McDonald's that had a reefer full of food brought in ahead of time, and a large mobile generator.

Once I left the county's hurricane shelter I had to make the trip to there, while worrying about running out of gasoline. Fuel tankers would hit town around three AM, with enough out of town vehicles lined up to take it all. Some of you have insulted me in the past for keeping Spam on hand, along wi th other canned goods but it beats starving to death.

Also, after Irma, the grocery stores dropped most of the lower sugar foods which makes it difficult on us diabetics.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

[...]

I guess you could push it to where you could plug it in. Very good point. Electrics are fine for a second car, where you will use it to commute, arou nd town, etc. But I sure would not have one as my only car.

Reply to
trader4

There are all sorts of products, besides a certain class of vehicle, that I buy for their utility in ordinary circumstances that would probably be inadequate or useless to me in extraordinary circumstances.

Mine's a plug-in hybrid and it runs on gas equally well if that's all that's available. As for how things will be down the road in 25 years when myself and lots of other people have EVs and some disaster happens, hurricane, asteroid impact, alien invasion, whatever, and there isn't anywhere readily available to charge 'em up for a while I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

People spend billions buying beachfront properties in certain areas, too, knowing full well there's a good chance they're going to get washed away in their lifetime why do that? I wouldn't, personally but for most people life is a series of trade-offs of the enjoyment and convenience of day-to-day probable vs. having to think fast or just being up shit creek when the less probable happens.

Reply to
bitrex

[...]

nt.

around

A lot of traffic from South Florida will be about 200 miles from home as th ey pass here. How far can you drive on gasoline in your hybrid?

It's becoming a lot more expensive to build and insure beachfront propertie s in Florida. Citizens, the state's insurance program used to offer subsidi zed insurance for these properties, but they have started dropping a lot of those policies outright and most other companies wouldn't offer insurance before that.

If the winds are high enough, some of the solar panels will blow away, and the ones that remain won't have much output during the heavy rain and thick clouds. Only a fool doesn't make some preparations.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

[...]

.

ound

I only drive about 3000 to 5000 miles a year. I don't see any reason to spe nd that kind of money on an EV. I have sen a few used ones for sale for und er $3000. It makes you wonder how worn out the batteries are or what oter p roblems the have?

Reply to
Michael Terrell

the grid is down for months?

Huh? You mean like in Puerto Rico? Otherwise I haven't seen any places in the US not have electricity for MONTHS! How do you get gasoline without e lectricity? They bring it in 5 gal jerry cans? Again, I've never been in that situation in my life and never heard of anyone in the US being in that situation. So clearly it's not high on my list of worries.

You mean like when I was in South Carolina wanting to register my new EV an d the state closed the DMVs because of the impending Hurricane? I drove ou t and charged once before I left, then again when I reached Virginia.

y of them, where the only electricity available was emergency shelters and hospitals. No one is going to let you charge an EV at one of these location s, since they are unsure of replacement fuel deliveries. I have gone close to three months without electricity as thousands of poles are replaced, and downed lines are spliced. During and after Irma, the ONLY source to buy fo od for a month was a McDonald's that had a reefer full of food brought in a head of time, and a large mobile generator.

Yeah, your house didn't have electricity. I bet the Superchargers had juic e. It's still early days for EVs, that's true. In another three or four y ears there will be many, many more charging locations. If emergency shelte rs are the only places with electricity you have much bigger problems than worrying about a car.

e, while worrying about running out of gasoline. Fuel tankers would hit tow n around three AM, with enough out of town vehicles lined up to take it all . Some of you have insulted me in the past for keeping Spam on hand, along with other canned goods but it beats starving to death.

s which makes it difficult on us diabetics.

I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps living in a part of the US that is operated like a third world country is not so good. Perhaps you should mov e closer to a major city where they get electricity back a lot sooner than MONTHS!

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

[...]

Right now it is my only car. My pickup has an electrical problem and I'm g oing to have to have it towed to a repair center. Meanwhile the EV is runn ing just fine. :)

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

8 gallon tank, if I keep it under 45 mph where the hybrid drivetrain is most efficient it's probably good for 350 miles in a pinch. I get 40-42 mpg at 65-70 mph on flat highway in the summer, battery pack set to "Hold" (charge), without really trying. Not that much better than my girl friend's regular 4-banger 2019 Hyundai Elantra at around 37-38 highway but the Volt is a larger and heavier car.

Oh everyone just loves hearing that homeowners with million-dollar properties get their risk shunted off onto other taxpayers...

I've used the Volt as a little gen-set in a pinch, lol. It has a 12 volt battery in the back and 12 volt bus for starting and accessories like any other car. Just attach a 1kW inverter box to the bus and leave the car powered up; the 12 volt will run down and the high voltage pack or engine, depending, will cut in to top it back up when needed

Reply to
bitrex

en the grid is down for months?

in the US not have electricity for MONTHS! How do you get gasoline without electricity? They bring it in 5 gal jerry cans? Again, I've never been i n that situation in my life and never heard of anyone in the US being in th at situation. So clearly it's not high on my list of worries.

Idiot. It is brought in by tanker trucks just like other deliveries, onc e the roads are clear and safe That doesn't happen until the hurricane is o ver.

Newer gas stations have a generator, but only big enough for the station to operate. Older stations stop receiving fuel deliveries before the elect ricity is out, so their tanks are empty until power is restored. The statio ns shut down the generators when they run out of fuel, so no lights means n o fuel.

and the state closed the DMVs because of the impending Hurricane? I drove out and charged once before I left, then again when I reached Virginia.

Yawn. You left before it hit, not during or after.

any of them, where the only electricity available was emergency shelters an d hospitals. No one is going to let you charge an EV at one of these locati ons, since they are unsure of replacement fuel deliveries. I have gone clos e to three months without electricity as thousands of poles are replaced, a nd downed lines are spliced. During and after Irma, the ONLY source to buy food for a month was a McDonald's that had a reefer full of food brought in ahead of time, and a large mobile generator.

ice. It's still early days for EVs, that's true. In another three or four years there will be many, many more charging locations. If emergency shel ters are the only places with electricity you have much bigger problems tha n worrying about a car.

What supercharges? I don't recall seeing any charging stations in this a rea. When there is no power to entire cites, how will you get power to your precious superchargers?

ere, while worrying about running out of gasoline. Fuel tankers would hit t own around three AM, with enough out of town vehicles lined up to take it a ll. Some of you have insulted me in the past for keeping Spam on hand, alon g with other canned goods but it beats starving to death.

ods which makes it difficult on us diabetics.

s operated like a third world country is not so good. Perhaps you should m ove closer to a major city where they get electricity back a lot sooner tha n MONTHS!

Are you sure that you're an engineer? I live in Central Florida. They ha ve to get the system back on line from the top, down. I live in a small sub divsion, that is a mile from the nearest main primaries that run along Stat e highway 441. The linemen work to restore power to hospitals, and emergenc y services first. Then they move on to large businesses. Schools and smalle r businesses follow that, and finally the residential areas. It took so lon g because they were using the new poles as fast as they could be trucked in . The initial stockpile was gone in the first couple weeks. On top of this, most of the workers were from out of state, and unfamiliar with the areas being restored. Go out and work for a utility and learn something about the work involved. Local utilities are working on a regular basis to upgrade a nd harden their local plant. I can't drive very far from home without runni ng into line trucks from Duke, or the nearest city. I've seen probably 1000 new, larger poles being set since January. They will withstand higher wind s, and the heavier wire will not only withstand the higher winds, but it wi ll reduce their I/R losses.In the 20 years that I've lived here, it was Flo rida Power. Then Progress, followed bu Duke.

If I moved to the 'big city' I would have to put up with more assholes and morons. I've only suffered long outages twice, in 32 yeas.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I can just fire up my small generator, now that I have one.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

The Volt is a portable generator, with its own wheels.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

ote:

when the grid is down for months?

s in the US not have electricity for MONTHS! How do you get gasoline witho ut electricity? They bring it in 5 gal jerry cans? Again, I've never been in that situation in my life and never heard of anyone in the US being in that situation. So clearly it's not high on my list of worries.

nce the roads are clear and safe That doesn't happen until the hurricane is over.

on to operate. Older stations stop receiving fuel deliveries before the ele ctricity is out, so their tanks are empty until power is restored. The stat ions shut down the generators when they run out of fuel, so no lights means no fuel.

V and the state closed the DMVs because of the impending Hurricane? I drov e out and charged once before I left, then again when I reached Virginia.

Yes, that's what the smart people do. Why would anyone wait until after th e hurricane to leave? I guess that explains a lot of your problem.

many of them, where the only electricity available was emergency shelters and hospitals. No one is going to let you charge an EV at one of these loca tions, since they are unsure of replacement fuel deliveries. I have gone cl ose to three months without electricity as thousands of poles are replaced, and downed lines are spliced. During and after Irma, the ONLY source to bu y food for a month was a McDonald's that had a reefer full of food brought in ahead of time, and a large mobile generator.

juice. It's still early days for EVs, that's true. In another three or fo ur years there will be many, many more charging locations. If emergency sh elters are the only places with electricity you have much bigger problems t han worrying about a car.

area. When there is no power to entire cites, how will you get power to yo ur precious superchargers?

If you are evacuating you can stop at the Superchargers on your way out... like any other time when you are driving.

Where are you exactly? I checked and Orlando is half way up the state of F lorida from Miami and it's only 200 miles. I'm just not seeing the problem . I think you are exaggerating the conditions and the problems. I know pe ople who live in southern Florida and they've never mentioned such dire cir cumstances lasting for "months". Sure you aren't in Puerto Rico?

[...]

So what makes you think that EV chargers will be the last things that have power restored? I think it will be the opposite, EV charging will be fairl y high on the list. If your service stations all have generators I expect EV charging will be higher on the list that those.

d morons. I've only suffered long outages twice, in 32 yeas.

Lol, yes, you would have to put up with the people that make the world work . Or you can suffer. So now you are saying long outages are not such a bi g deal. Ok, good to know. Keep the EV charged up and you will be able to make it out of the state very easily. Enjoy your EV.

--

  Rick C.

  --+ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

You can use most cars that way I suppose, if you have an inverter brick, but they won't make a particular efficient one as you have to leave the engine spinning all the time just to turn the teeny lil alternator.

IIRC there are companies that make mod kits for some plug-in hybrids that put an AC outlet or two in the trunk for exactly that purpose

Reply to
bitrex

My portable generator not only has wheels, but it has a handle. I can leave it running at home or another site, while I drive my truck. :)

Reply to
Michael Terrell

:

[...]

Sure you can. You've never seen a mass evacuation, have you? it isn't an ywhere near a normal traffic load. The traffic is bumper to bumper, toll ro ads are turned off, and even the southbound lanes of I-75 are used for Nort hbound traffic. You are clueless as to the conditions involved. Add to the other problems, but South Florida is full of liberal idiots who don't make any preparations for emergencies. They are like the people who died during Katrina, trapped in their attics because the refused to leave until it was too late.

Florida from Miami and it's only 200 miles. I'm just not seeing the probl em. I think you are exaggerating the conditions and the problems. I know people who live in southern Florida and they've never mentioned such dire c ircumstances lasting for "months". Sure you aren't in Puerto Rico?

I am near Ocala, if it's any of your business. You don't see the problem either because you don't want to, or because you aren't smart enough to un derstand. People leaving South Florida had already bought all the gas that was available there, and they were hitting every station as they headed Nor th, Vehicles were lined up for miles South of Ocala to get into gas station s.

They reminded me of the Mess Jimmy Carter caused when he was in office.

Are you sure that you aren't in an asylum?

[...]

Idiot! the stations will regain power as they restore power to the traff ic lights. Stations on the major roads will go back on line before those on less traveled roads. The people in charge are smarter than you.

and morons. I've only suffered long outages twice, in 32 yeas.

rk. Or you can suffer. So now you are saying long outages are not such a big deal. Ok, good to know. Keep the EV charged up and you will be able t o make it out of the state very easily. Enjoy your EV.

I was too sick to leave the area, and by the time the order came to either leave town or go to a shelter, the shelter was my only choice. You act like Florida has no technology. There is a Lockheed=Martin factory here, alon g with companies that manufacture medical equipment. Just because I don't l ive in the city, doesn't mean that there isn't one within 10 miles. I'll tr ade that for ever living and working in a large city, ever again.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

olt

Haven't you ever had a dual battery system? They have been around for at least 50 years. I even installed some for an amusement park for their paddl e boats so that they could run their sound system and lights while they loa ded and unloaded passengers. The secondary battery powered that, while the primary only started the big Chevy engines and powered the ignition system. They didn't have 'tiny alternators'. They had the high output units made f or ambulances or fire trucks. I even had a dual system on my '66 GTO. That also had a second alternator.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

e:

te:

[...]

So you are blaming the deaths of Katrina on electric cars???

Wow, you are hard to have a conversation with.

Electric cars have ranges comparable with ICE cars. One huge difference is you don't need to use a filling station to charge, you can charge at home . Most drivers keep their EVs topped off by plugging in every night. So e ven from Miami, you can travel well north of Orlando on one charge. If you were around Orlando (which I believe you are) you can be out of the state before needing a charge.

So instead of talking like a loon and ranting about their being NO electric ity, just be prepared and leave. It's not like they don't see hurricanes c oming.

of Florida from Miami and it's only 200 miles. I'm just not seeing the pro blem. I think you are exaggerating the conditions and the problems. I kno w people who live in southern Florida and they've never mentioned such dire circumstances lasting for "months". Sure you aren't in Puerto Rico?

em either because you don't want to, or because you aren't smart enough to understand. People leaving South Florida had already bought all the gas tha t was available there, and they were hitting every station as they headed N orth, Vehicles were lined up for miles South of Ocala to get into gas stati ons.

See, now you are explaining why an EV would be so much better than a gas ca r. Top off your EV at home before you leave and you can make to the pan ha ndle or Georgia without refueling. Where's the problem?

.

I expect I am since I am spending my time trying to have a rational convers ation with you.

[...]

Imbecile! Chargers will get power even before that as they are part of the higher level infrastructure.

s and morons. I've only suffered long outages twice, in 32 yeas.

work. Or you can suffer. So now you are saying long outages are not such a big deal. Ok, good to know. Keep the EV charged up and you will be able to make it out of the state very easily. Enjoy your EV.

r leave town or go to a shelter, the shelter was my only choice. You act li ke Florida has no technology. There is a Lockheed=Martin factory here, al ong with companies that manufacture medical equipment. Just because I don't live in the city, doesn't mean that there isn't one within 10 miles. I'll trade that for ever living and working in a large city, ever again.

No, YOU talk like Florida is a third world country. The idea that they won 't have electricity to the infrastructure and larger facilities for MONTHS is absurd. If we have a CME, then yeah, electricity will be a problem beca use it can't be distributed.