+12V vehicle protection standards

Hi,

I'm designing something to plug into a (nominal) +12V cigarette lighter socket in a vehicle.

Can someone please point me in the direction of STANDARDS which describe the electrical environment? I'm particularly interested in surges, overvoltages, etc.

BTW, I'm not really interested in knowing your circuit solution to automotive protection, but post anyway; there'll be others who might get something out of it.

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Hi Allen,

type: iso 7637 level into google, altavista, webcrawler, etc and you find documents that refers to ISO 7637 test levels for EMC. The ISO standard is not free available.

Prepare yourself for heavy spikes. There is a difference in levels for equipment directly connected to the car battery and other means of connection.

When you download EN 301 489-3 (EMC for SRD equipment, free from the ETSI website) they also mention levels for 12 and 24 V board nets and refer to ISO 7637.

Regarding the DC level. A car generator should not charge the battery above 15V, however, some do.

Best regards,

Wim PA3DJS

Wimpie

National Semi also wrote an excellent ap note on the subject. It was a long time ago. So many years I'm embarrased to say (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hi Allen,

I forgot to mention

they have a nice document (=A1free!) on all vehicular EMC (inclusive conducted immunity via supply lines).

Best regards,

Wim PA3DJS

Wimpie

There's some good info here -

Also, google "alternator load dump" and/or "automotive transients" you should get at least a few links to $tandards.

Best regards, Ralph in NH

Reply to
Ralph in NH

and this is the cure for insomnia

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Old GE/Harris/Intersi/Littelfuse app note 9312

Military standards are pretty comprehensive, but are for 28V systems.

Ford describes surge waveforms and immunity levels expected in section

14 of EMC Spec ES-XW7T-1A278-AC.

RL

Reply to
legg