OT: Burned JPGs sometimes not displayed on DVD player

Probably progressive JPEGs.

Reply to
larwe

Then the second most likely is filenames containing characters that are not compatible with ISO9660 Level 1.

Reply to
larwe

ISO, joliet, can't keep trak of it all but I bet yer right. I was told in the mp3.hardware group that directory name length, depth, and filename length vary from player to player.

What's a progressive jpg? Sounds like politics ;)

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I raised this some time ago in the alt.comp.periphs.cdr NG, but although I had some helpful suggestions I'm afraid the mystery remained unsolved.

Using Nero on my XP-based PC I burn some folders of JPG photos to a CD. On playing this CD on my Phillips DVD player, a minority of the JPGs do not display. They can be opened OK in any image editor, and so far I've found nothing whatsoever that distinguishes them from those that do get displayed. I'm completely baffled. Anyone have any ideas on the likely cause please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Thanks, but no, all JPGs the same - none ever saved with the progressive option.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Download the manual for an Apex DVD player. Tracks and all only differ between session types and such.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Thanks for the fast follow-up, it's appreciated. But that doesn't seem to be the cause either. In an attempt to get to the bottom of this, here are further details.

Many folders contain 1 or several 'non-displaying' files. But the worst is the following example. Original folder = D:DocsMy PicturesForDVDAlgarve Contains 0 subfolders, 26 files, total size 13,287,490 bytes All its files are JPG type. (So the first file below is '01-04Apr04

13-21.JPG'.) None are progressive. All are from same camera, a Sony 3M pixel DSC-P1 Cybershot. Examining their sizes, dimensions, dates, etc, reveals no obvious distinctions. All display OK from the CD on my XP-based PC.

I have no grasp of this ISO and Joliet stuff, but that suggestion sounded promising. However, as you see, neither the original file names nor the 'DOS type' names used by Nero appear to show differences in format for the non-displaying files.

Orig file name Display? CD file name

---------------- -------- ------------

01-04Apr04 13-21 YES 01_04APR 02-05Apr04 11-18 YES 02_05APR 03-06Apr04 11-28 YES 03_06APR See below 04-06Apr04 12-14 NO 04_06APR See below 05-07Apr04 10-47 NO 05_07APR 06-07Apr04 12-00 YES 06_07APR 07-07Apr04 12-14 YES 07_07APR 08-07Apr04 13-10 YES 08_07APR 09-07Apr04 16-19 NO 09_07APR 10-08Apr04 11-59 NO 10_08APR 11-08Apr04 12-00 NO 11_08APR 12-08Apr04 12-13 NO 12_08APR 13-09Apr04 10-38 NO 13_09APR 14-05Apr04 09-39 NO 14_05APR 15-09Apr04 12-13 NO 15_09APR 16-09Apr04 12-18 NO 16_09APR 17-09Apr04 12-19 NO 17_09APR 18-09Apr04 12-22 NO 18_09APR 19-09Apr04 12-28 NO 19_09APR 20-09Apr04 15-41 NO 20_09APR 21-05Apr04 10-17 NO 21_05APR 22-05Apr04 10-18 NO 22_05APR 23-05Apr04 10-18 NO 23_05APR 24-05Apr04 10-48 NO 24_05APR 25-05Apr04 11-18 NO 25_05APR 26-04Apr04 11-58 YES 26_04APR

FWIW, I've uploaded a couple of examples: This (1.32MB) does display:

But this (757KB) doesn't:

Any further ideas please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Reply to

What DVD burning software are you using Terry?

Try

Two things I can think of that might be causing a problem is if the dimensions of the images are not evenly divisible. A lot of video players crap out on this simple and unexpected requirement. Some require dimensions divisible by 2,4,8,16, etc. Try resizing all the images to dimensions that are evenly divisible by 16. And make sure the disc is being burnt in "disc at once" mode rather than "track at once" mode. For some reason, "track at once" seems to cause problems - maybe it has to do with gaps in the file table.

-M

Reply to
Mark Jones

He said "Nero" :)

I can't remember the physical differences between "track at once", "leave session open", etc., but I read up on it online. The way the tracks are used *is* different. IIRC (I hope the thread hasn't been purged) I was told in the mpg group that I should set things a certain way or the DVD player wouldn't like my CD.

Here's one post: Just burn a standard "data disc". You can organise the MP3 files in folders on the disc.

What players can deal with varies from player to player. To discover what the particular player can do then trial and error is the best way. I'd start with 128Kbps MP3's organised into album folders.

*******
--
Best Regards,
Mike

Just to avoid confusion, you did say CD originally.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

One problem replaced with another ;-(

After much experiment I finally found that I could get 100% reliable displaying of all JPGs by resaving them at a fixed 'quality' setting. (Scale depends on software, of course. I used '80%' in ThumbsPlus, i.e. towards the high quality end. This was arbitrary; for all I know,

*any* quality would work, but no time yet to try - nor enough spare CDs!)

But, after displaying all photos in the first 11 of 20 folders, the DVD finished playing. I could then see that it was only *showing* 11 folders in its menu. Yet all 20 can be displayed on the PC.

I burned another with identical settings, just in case. Exactly the same occurred.

Any suggestions please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Reply to

Fair point. The DVD PLAYER finished playing the CD-R!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Reply to

I've since discovered that my DVD player has a limitation in this mode of a mere 256 files! That seems incredibly low. Anyone know if there's some software around that can help me get around that please?

Also, unhappily I was wrong about reliably displaying the images that

*are* accessible. Resaving in the way I described made a major improvement. I had thought it was now 100% OK. But after more rigorous study I see that a few still fail to display. As already covered, there's no pattern I can detect in format, size, filename, etc. All are JPGs of same 'quality', none were saved with the 'progressive' option, and all look fine on the PC itself.

Frustrating...

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Both CD and DVD use ISO-9660 file systems. There are no tracks (a CD/DVD has one spiral track) and a block size of

2048 bytes.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Any thoughts on the remaining mystery of non-displayed files please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Have you considered excorsism?

I would be suspect of something like photoshop to create files, and would use a really basic tool to ensure that photoshop wasn't doing anything clever. Where are the files coming from, all from one source?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Terry Pinnell" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

You should try saving them in a low resolution, just good enough for TV viewing. Not bigger than VGA or 640x480. You won't notice on the TV.

I have a feeling that your DVD player gets upset decoding larger jpg's, requiring more memory that it has available, and quits loading more complicated pictures, as it runs out of memory while decoding and scaling them to normal video resolution. Of course it doesn't show any error message, because if it did, customers would run to the shop, complaining etc.

I had similar problems using a card reader with video output. Some of the jpg's wouldn't display.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

What is the optimal image size for JPG on DVD then?

Reply to
Mark Jones

Where did PhotoShop come into the discussion?

Files = JPG, source = identical, all described earlier.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

That sounds a likely cause. Despite fact that they are all same type and size, presumably some are more 'complex' than others. And/or the DVD player can't quite keep up.

Although that simple burning approach in Nero is attractive because of its simplicity, I'm now going to try the alternative of writing VCD files.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK