OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy

What is the best imaging software for making a _bootable_ copy of my HD?

                                       ...Jim Thompson
--

| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

message

Seagate Disk Wizard ahs always worked for me.  It does require you to
have at least 1 Seagate drive in the machine for it to work though.  Avail
at their website.
Art

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy

Clonezilla.  Its free open source. Not that hard to use.
Not sure by what you mean by _bootable_copy.
Clonezilla  will make an image of your HD to a, say a USB HD,  and
restore it back to a HD of equal or larger size.

http://clonezilla.org /

Cheers

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy
Hi Martin,

+1

... and eliminates the need to restart windows on the original
drive (i.e., imagine if that system was corrupted to the point
where *executing* it is either not possible or likely to
corrupt more data on the drive!)

I've never understood this limitation!  partclone has the
(risky) option of restoring to a smaller size -- though
there is no way to pass options to it directly from
clonezilla's "shell".

IMO, this needlessly can screw you if, for example, your
1TB old drive was 2 cylinders larger than the 1TB *new*
drive that you replace it with!

As I use CZ regularly, I need to look through the scripts
to see where it is taking this decision away from me!

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy

Clonezilla also handles the partition data correctly vs. Ghost.  I
restored a Ghosted drive to a larger drive and partition magic
complained about the partition table and would not resize the partition.
Clonezilla, fixed up the partition correctly.

Cheers

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy
Hi Martin,

Never played with Ghost (I don't trust Symantec's products;
they seem to act as if they know more than they really *do*
about undocumented parts of the system, etc.).

I've been VERY happy with CZ, though -- with the exception
of this "downsizing" issue.  I routinely use it to image
disks on each system as I build the system.  Then, to restore
the system to a particular state some time down the road.

I figure exploring the downsizing option and then submitting
some diff's to the developers is a good form of "payback"
for the utility it has afforded me!

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy
On Sun, 13 May 2012 21:35:25 -0400, "Martin Riddle"

I want to preserve my XP OS and all my program and hardware installs.

(Onto a larger HD :)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

There are a bunch of issues.
If you're just changing the hard drive, you shouldn't run afoul of XP
copy protection/activation.

I like Acronis.
Most hard drive vendors have a free crippled version that works only with
their drives.  Unfortunately, the clone feature is the one most defeated.

I use the WD version and have a WD USB drive that satisfies the requirement
to have a WD drive in the system. Version 13 still has clone enabled.

Backup each partition to some offline media.
Build the recovery CD.
Change the drive, format/partition it using the xp install disk
or a live partition manager.
Boot the recovery CD.
Acronis can restore a partition to any partition that's
big enough to hold it.
In the rare instance that it won't boot, run the XP install
disk and run fixmbr and fixboot.
This works with IDE to IDE transfer.
I've not been able to restore an IDE backup to a SATA drive.
For that, you need the clone function.

Once you get C booted, you can mount the backups and mix/match
manual copy to any of the partitions...or restore whole partitions.

If you're using a new drive, you can save the old one and
reduce your risk of issues to zero.

If you're building a new system, make the C partition as small
as possible.  Then Acronis can backup C to D.  Makes it small, fast
and so convenient that you'll be tempted to do it often.

Win7  has other issues, but workarounds exist.

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy

It will work for you. You will still have the original HD intact if it
fails to transfer.
I transferred a Linux box from a 6G to a 80G disk with out any issues.
It will handle any OS.

Cheers

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy
Hi Martin,

Note that the *hardware* might not support the disk in question!
E.g., the 137GB SNAFU (if the hardware is as old as he claims)

I see about 1GB/min using an external USB drive for the
imagestore.  No doubt faster if you can hang the imagestore
off an *internal* interface!

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy

Not that much.  Sustained read is limited by rotational speed, you can't
read or write any faster than the sectors come under the head.  About 50
MB/s for current drives, less for older drives.

?-)

Hmm. i haven't tried clonezila with HFS+ filesystems (Mac).

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy
On Sun, 13 May 2012 16:39:34 -0700, the renowned Jim Thompson

I've always had good luck with Acronis products. Reasonably priced.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy

Here's a version of dd for Windows.
http://uranus.chrysocome.net/linux/rawwrite/index.htm

--
Les Cargill

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy
   Ghost PE.

Re: OT: Best Imaging Software for Bootable Copy
Which operating system?
It matters a lot!

Site Timeline