Best Image Markup Software for PCBs?

Am looking for Image Markup Software that would be used to identify parts of circuit boards to minimize any possible confusion.

Am open to all suggestions.

Ken

Reply to
KenO

circuit boards to minimize any possible confusion.

I've use Paint, which is part of Windows. I've also used GIMP which runs under Linux or Windows. Irfanview may do it as well. Just about any graphics manipulation program will let you do it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Should add that it needs to open JPGs.

Ken

Reply to
KenO

All of the programs that I listed will open multiple formats.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Agreed on all three programs. For tweaking photos, I use Irfanview. Hit "F12" for the drawing tools. Locating and sizing text is a bit tricky, but not impossible. GIMP works and looks better, but is more complexicated. Windoze Paint is quick and easy when I'm in a hurry.

Example of added text and arrows using Irfanview:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 10:07:56 -0800 (PST), KenO put finger to keyboard and composed:

circuit boards to minimize any possible confusion.

I'm still using PaintShop Pro 5.0 which is about as old as Windows 95. I'm running Win98SE, though.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I heard that GIMP was recently updated, but I haven't tried it yet.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

circuit boards to minimize any possible confusion.

'Paint' (mspaint.exe) still works for me in most MS OS's. It will open and edit JPGs, but some revs have limited save formats.

Simple line drawings from the board art are usually better base material for circuit boart component illustration, than are photographic images.

Rendered in any format and displayed by any software, they can usually be generated by 'printscreen' utilities that are the epitomy of WYSIWYG documentation art.

RL

Reply to
legg

circuit boards to minimize any possible confusion.

If you use OSX then PREVIEW natively allows you to add text and draw simple objects in jpegs and giffs.

Very quick way to add notations...

John :-#)#

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments!

I should have mentioned am using various PCs all which are using Windows XP to

  1. Would be nice if the software was small and can be installed on a USB drive so I could install once and use on all the PCs.

Last unless really needed would like an easy to learn app or at least have tutorials so make the learning curve less steep.

Ken

Reply to
KenO

Michael,

"I've use Paint, which is part of Windows. I've also used GIMP which runs under Linux or Windows. Irfanview may do it as well. Just about any graphics manipulation program will let you do it."

Must admit I have never used any version of Paint.

Did a quick search and found

Also found other alternatives

Do you have any examples of marking up PCBs using Paint?

Should add that I am trying to reduce the number of apps to try to those others have found useful to markup PCB photos.

Ken

Reply to
KenO

Jeff,

"For tweaking photos, I use Irfanview. Hit "F12" for the drawing tools."

Example of added text and arrows using Irfanview:

WAS VERY IMPRESSED!!! so installed the latest version of Irfanview. Tried to do what you did but I got no where.

Did a search for tutorials using "text and arrows using irfanview" but only thing got was this post.

No "..." got About 2,410,000 results but nothing useful in 1st page.

Any tips on how you did your example?

"Windoze Paint is quick and easy when I'm in a hurry." Sounds like Paint is what I need!!! At least in the beginning. Thanks again for your example!

Ken

Reply to
KenO

Franc,

"I'm still using PaintShop Pro 5.0 which is about as old as Windows 95. I'm running Win98SE, though."

Do you have any examples that I can link to?

Ken

Reply to
KenO

RL,

"'Paint' (mspaint.exe) still works for me in most MS OS's. It will open and edit JPGs, but some revs have limited save formats."

Any examples that I can link to?

Thanks

Ken

Reply to
KenO

John,

"If you use OSX then PREVIEW natively allows you to add text and draw simple objects in jpegs and giffs. Very quick way to add notations..."

Sorry, I should have mentioned am only looking for Windows apps.

Ken

Reply to
KenO

objects in jpegs and giffs. Very quick way to add notations..."

Sorry - was bragging about the OS...(ducking)

John ;-#)#

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

objects in jpegs and giffs. Very quick way to add notations..."

You turkey! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

under Linux or Windows. Irfanview may do it as well. Just about any graphics manipulation program will let you do it."

No, but I just did a quick one for you.

others have found useful to markup PCB photos.

Paint is under 'Accessories' in Windows so you don't need to install anything, or carry a program on a stick.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Michael, Looked at your example of marking up PCBs using Paint.

Looks Good to me!

Any tips concerning making arrows and text to add to photos? Would also like to make rectangles of different colors around a component so someone can easily tell which item I am referring to.

Thanks again for your help!

Ken

Reply to
KenO

Look into various portable application systems: (Linux based will run Windows in a VM) The prime directive is "Thou shalt not use the Windoze registry". Once you get used to that idea, and learn to ignore drive letters, things start to work.

However, you may regret running things on a USB flash drive. When I was doing that, it was difficult to keep all the apps up to date. Also, USB drives vary RADICALLY in performance:

Gimp is not easy to learn. Windoze Paint is trivial to learn. Irfanview is in between. (be sure to also get the plugin collection).

I suggest Irfanview because it has other features that you're going to need for documentation (crop, resize, color correction, line drawing, effects, PDF support, batch processing, etc).