OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having ...

Yes this is coming from Washington Post, but these are Rush's words.  He cl
aims in no uncertain terms that storms are exaggerated and supposedly even
the satellite images are tampered with to boost business and promote the id
ea of climate change:

"you have people in all of these government areas who believe man is causin
g climate change, and they?re hellbent on proving it, they?
re hellbent on demonstrating it, they?re hellbent on persuading peo
ple of it.

And then things become clearer: the alt-right will go to extreme lengths to
 disqualify science and promote conspiracy theories if it fits them.  And t
hen he says he can't "legally" do his show from his house.  WTF?  He never
says it's because of a massive hurricane.  Sounds like a "hurricane denier"
 to me.

Did a hurricane really hit Houston and is there one heading for FL?  Does H
awaii exist?  Are the Egyptian pyramids real?  I've seen none of these thin
gs personally so if I were an alt-righter, I'd deny all of them because....
that's what they do.  But I know they exist because it's not that easy to f
abricate something and keep that lie going long-term for things so many hav
e personally seen and have a hand in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/09/06/rush-limbaughs-da
ngerous-suggestion-that-hurricane-irma-is-fake-news/?utm_term=.2f67c55308
71

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
[...]

Rush Limbaugh indicates he?s evacuating Palm Beach days after sugge
sting Hurricane Irma is fake news

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/09/06/rush-limbaughs-da
ngerous-suggestion-that-hurricane-irma-is-fake-news/?utm_term=.3c72ec0ccc
cd

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 2:35:06 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
:
[...]
dangerous-suggestion-that-hurricane-irma-is-fake-news/?utm_term=.3c72ec0c
cccd

Lying does have a tendency to catch up with the person telling the lies.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

No he did not say it was fake.  He said leftists in the media tamper
with images, and they have in the past.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

Can you point to an instance in which "leftists" tampered with images?  And I'm not talking about anyone from either end of the politically extreme; I think most do not identify with them.

To suggest the mainstream media is tampering with satellite or radar images for some ulterior motive is laughable and paranoid.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

I don't know about that, but somebody decided to change the definition
of "ocean" in order to declare that Irma was the largest ever in the
Atlantic Ocean.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/09/07/hurricane-irma-is-not-the-most-powerful-atlantic-hurricane-ever-recorded/

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
:
 And I'm not talking about anyone from either end of the politically extrem
e; I think most do not identify with them.
ages for some ulterior motive is laughable and paranoid.
erful-atlantic-hurricane-ever-recorded/

And so this is now the fault of "leftists"?  I did a quick search and the L
A Times says it's the 2nd strongest, The Daily Beast says it's stronger tha
n all others in 2017, and The Independent says one of the strongest.  The l
ink you reference refers to IFL Science, a website I'm not familiar with.

But let's assume more outlets claim it's the strongest for the sake of argu
ment, which others may have.  So what?  This is hardly on par with Trump's
crowd size claims, which is objective: number of people.  Seems to me there
's multiple factors that determine how strong a hurricane is: pressure, win
d speed, size, making this ranking a little subjective.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

maybe they changed their tune after being called on it.  I hear network
news saying it was the biggest ever.

And since when is a damaged house "destroyed"?

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
ote:
te:
?  And I'm not talking about anyone from either end of the politically extr
eme; I think most do not identify with them.
images for some ulterior motive is laughable and paranoid.
powerful-atlantic-hurricane-ever-recorded/
he LA Times says it's the 2nd strongest, The Daily Beast says it's stronger
 than all others in 2017, and The Independent says one of the strongest.  T
he link you reference refers to IFL Science, a website I'm not familiar wit
h.

I've heard that too.  But I fail to see how calling Irma the biggest Atlant
ic hurricane ever is noteworthy.  It's not like this is of any real signifi
cance; it's going to cause great property loss and some loss of life regard
less.  And it's not like either political party is going to gain anything s
ignificant weather it is or isn't.  Exaggerating crowd sizes, on the other
hand, is of obvious political importance.

Where do you see this?  I did a text search and I'm not finding it in the a
rticle (minus the comments), and not finding it in this thread.  But since
you asked, this seems quite subjective to me.  For example, a house that's
damaged could just as well be destroyed if it has to be completely torn dow
n and rebuilt.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

All the news media were talking about the Houston houses destroyed, then
they showed some destroyed houses that had a two foot high water mark
and the owners were cleaning it up.  NOT destroyed.

They said some island had some high % destruction, then showed an aerial
view where there was a lot of damage, but not all that was "destruction".

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
te:
rote:
er
es?  And I'm not talking about anyone from either end of the politically ex
treme; I think most do not identify with them.
r images for some ulterior motive is laughable and paranoid.
on
t-powerful-atlantic-hurricane-ever-recorded/

Anthony Watts is a paid denialist, and is happy to post anything that sugge
sts that the current orthodoxy on anthropogenic global warming is in any wa
y suspect. He's been through the statistics to find examples that don't tie
 up with current news reporting (according to his understanding of what the
 reporters are saying, which is biased towards finding something he can dia
gree with). He an ex-TV weather front man, and doesn't seem to have any kin
d of academic qualification - which wouldn't have stopped him learning enou
gh to have useful opinions if he'd gone to the trouble, not that he seems t
o have done that.

 the LA Times says it's the 2nd strongest, The Daily Beast says it's strong
er than all others in 2017, and The Independent says one of the strongest.
 The link you reference refers to IFL Science, a website I'm not familiar w
ith.

It's still got that potential.

lantic hurricane ever is noteworthy.  It's not like this is of any real sig
nificance; it's going to cause great property loss and some loss of life re
gardless.  And it's not like either political party is going to gain anythi
ng significant weather it is or isn't.  Exaggerating crowd sizes, on the ot
her hand, is of obvious political importance.
he article (minus the comments), and not finding it in this thread.  But si
nce you asked, this seems quite subjective to me.  For example, a house tha
t's damaged could just as well be destroyed if it has to be completely torn
 down and rebuilt.

The usual rule is not to assume a conspiracy when stupidity is an adequate
explanation. Reporters tend to record more material than makes it to air, a
nd editors have been known to take out the explanatory bits where the repor
ter might have said that while those house were destroyed, these houses wer
e merely damaged. Explanation is vital, but it doesn't hold the viewer's at
tention like the image of a well-trashed house

So you captured the image, and counted the number of house that looked "des
troyed" as opposed to "damaged"?

Once a house is damaged enough, it's cheaper to clear off the residue down
to the foundations and start over. What may still be standing may not be in
 good shape.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

of course.  and the contrary is true.  duh.

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"
ote:
rote:
mper
ages?  And I'm not talking about anyone from either end of the politically
extreme; I think most do not identify with them.
dar images for some ulterior motive is laughable and paranoid.
tion
he
ost-powerful-atlantic-hurricane-ever-recorded/
uggests that the current orthodoxy on anthropogenic global warming is in an
y way suspect. He's been through the statistics to find examples that don't
 tie up with current news reporting (according to his understanding of what
 the reporters are saying, which is biased towards finding something he can
 diagree with). He an ex-TV weather front man, and doesn't seem to have any
 kind of academic qualification - which wouldn't have stopped him learning
enough to have useful opinions if he'd gone to the trouble, not that he see
ms to have done that.
nd the LA Times says it's the 2nd strongest, The Daily Beast says it's stro
nger than all others in 2017, and The Independent says one of the strongest
.  The link you reference refers to IFL Science, a website I'm not familiar
 with.
ork
Atlantic hurricane ever is noteworthy.  It's not like this is of any real s
ignificance; it's going to cause great property loss and some loss of life
regardless.  And it's not like either political party is going to gain anyt
hing significant weather it is or isn't.  Exaggerating crowd sizes, on the
other hand, is of obvious political importance.
 the article (minus the comments), and not finding it in this thread.  But
since you asked, this seems quite subjective to me.  For example, a house t
hat's damaged could just as well be destroyed if it has to be completely to
rn down and rebuilt.
en
ate explanation. Reporters tend to record more material than makes it to ai
r, and editors have been known to take out the explanatory bits where the r
eporter might have said that while those house were destroyed, these houses
 were merely damaged. Explanation is vital, but it doesn't hold the viewer'
s attention like the image of a well-trashed house
al
n".
"destroyed" as opposed to "damaged"?
own to the foundations and start over. What may still be standing may not b
e in good shape.

I wonder what taxed and spent might imagine "the contrary" to be? A house m
ay look trashed and still be easily repairable?

Taxed and spent still hasn't managed to explain how his eagle eye can disti
nguish between "damaged" houses and "destroyed" houses in an aerial view.

We'd all love to know what the secret signs of imperfect destruction are.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

When I see a lot of houses with a one or two foot water mark after the
water has receded, and the owners tossing out carpeting and a few feet
of drywall to dry out the house and fix it up, I understand that is not
a "destroyed" house.  DUH.

Oh, wait - I ALREADY said that.  Double DUH!

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

I am sure these numbers will change, and are subject to interpretation,
but this sure is different that reports I heard on the news that 100,000
homes were destroyed.  And, replying to an earlier comment, I cannot
dispute that stupidity and grandstanding is more likely the culprit than
some big conspiracy.

"It will be a while before we know just how badly Harvey affected
Houston and Texas but the latest numbers show a dire situation.

Almost 800 homes were completely destroyed in Harris County and over
119,000 were damaged in the hurricane. "

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weather/hurricaneharvey/article/Latest-numbers-show-extent-of-Harvey-damage-in-12175543.php#item-38488

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

I'm not disputing one set of numbers or the other.  I don't understand your
point.  You seem to be saying the news reports of damage are exaggerated and
support this with other news reports with different numbers.  They are both
news reports.  Which is wrong?

I would think that by now anyone with half a brain would realize *all* news
reports need to be taken with a grain of salt and verified.  News reporting
is not a science paper.  They make mistakes or even alter the words used for
dramatic effect.  News is entertainment whether you want to believe it or
not.  Sometimes they try too hard to entertain and are not accurate in the
news reporting.  However, as you yourself have said, no conspiracy.  No
Machiavellian attempt to convince people AGW is real.  They are just looking
for eyes on the screen.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

Well, my point is this:  " *all* news reports need to be taken with a
grain of salt and verified.  News reporting is not a science paper.
They make mistakes or even alter the words used for dramatic effect.
News is entertainment whether you want to believe it or not.  Sometimes
they try too hard to entertain and are not accurate in the news
reporting.  . . .  They are just looking for eyes on the screen."

Well said!

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

[snip]

Damn!  Is it a cold day in hell?  Must be... I am in agreement with
Rickman ;-)

"eyes on the screen"... make sure the story is absurd enough to
guarantee that.

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

While I agree, it is worth noting some of the constraints
that shape the stories and the tenor of the reporting:

  - commercial outfits (Fox/CNN/Limburger/Channel5/etc) have to
    make money or they are out of a job => whatever crap/lies
    keeps the unwashed masses' eyeballs pointing at them

  - propaganda outfits (RussiaToday/RadioFreeEurope/etc)
    have to convince & swing their audience or they are out
    of a job => whatever lies they can get away with

  - non-commercial outfits (PBS/BBC/etc) have to follow their
    mandate, which is usually along the lines of entertain,
    inform, educate => do the best to tell the truth

Re: OT: Apparently Irma's "graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism"

Hee hee don't tell Cursitor Doom that RT is propaganda.

Site Timeline