No more modified pdf by file hosters

It's pretty funny, JL can't ignore a post that involves his ego which to him are nearly all of them.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

And anyone familiar with the field should understand the reason why. Circuits can be designed once and used for many purposes with modifications in software that broaden the breath of the application space.

In other words, we need one hardware engineer for every ten software engineers in most fields. Heck, even Xilinx, a company that sells FPGA integrated circuits is really a software company. They have more software engineers than hardware.

They probably a pulling down the big bucks and having tons of fun writing apps.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

On this topic:

"Analog Engineers: Too Few or Too Many?"

and

"Do Engineers Design Things Anymore?"

We tried out a few BS-EE recent grads a couple years ago...useless. Could barely use a multimeter and couldn't explain how a transistor works to save their lives. To be fair, they did seem to have a decent enough grasp on p rogramming digital circuits, but we don't need help with that.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

Your kind of hardware, that I believe. Advanced analogue, not so much.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah that high frequency 600W chip I posted a link to I rendered just for the fun of it. There is no way possible that I was working on a

1500W RF amp.

There are still folks doing real electronics design, johnny. And many of those are now incorporating digital elements so you are so far out in left field that you going back to dissing the shuttle program would be a step up.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wrong. That was never "any" much less "the" "proper expression".

You are mired in your own self impotent bullshit.

You posted about a chip yesterday and got nearly immediate responses regarding analog chips.

The fact is that you ignore people that you *think* do not "do it".

Yer a jerk... at best.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin hasn't noticed that he is one of the creeps.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not that I've noticed. John Larkin will boast about what he has done, but t he idea that he might have done it better - or even differently - never see ms to enter his mind.

I once had to justify a four-amplifier solution to the problem of reading a resistance thermometer, and ended up drawing the one-, two- and three-ampl ifier solutions and discussing the trade-offs. My employers went for the fo ur-amplifier solution, though the trick of using one part per thousand of p ositive feedback to linearise the resistance thermometer frightened the eng ineer who finished off the project - he thought that it might oscillate.

Honeywell used it in their equivalent ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Did Cursitor Doom ever design electronics?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Once you've got a signal that's clean enough to digitise, digital processing is now pretty cheap and can be very powerful. It's certainly much easier to deal with non-linear relationships in the digital domain.

As Joerg points out from time to time, analog design skills are always necessary at the interface with reality.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin doesn't do electronic design, or at least won't talk about the "design" part of what he does, so he deserves to be ignored. On the other hand he seems to post more than anybody else, even it includes links to denialist web-sites.

John Larkin's somewhat idiosyncratic category of "insults" does seem to include any content that doesn't actively praise him.

It's rather like krw's definition of "idiot", which in practice means "anybody who doesn't share krw's delusions".

Not always. I've taken to dipping into long threads that I'd initially written off as tedious because subject under discussion often drifts into more interesting areas.

John Larkin does have a rather confined range of interests, and doesn't understand all that much about even them, so he may not have the same experience.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Why don't you seek out hobyists in the blog forums?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I walked through the Cornell EE department, counting screens. 21 computers, one oscilloscope.

Robotics is popular, but it's mostly just uPs and motors, pretty much mechanical toys.

The classics, circuit theory, electromagnetics, signals-and-systems, aren't as popular as they used to be. I interview EE grads who are distressed by a 2-resistor voltage divider... 9K and 1K, to make it easy.

I gave my kids a lecture today on an I/Q modulator design that we plan to sell, and it devolved to explaining the basics of AM, SSB, DSB, and VSB modulations and all-pass phase shifters. They were really interested but hadn't heard about that stuff before. They hadn't heard about the Radio Amateurs/ARRL Handbook either.

I need a pretty good 90 degree phase shifter over, say, a 500:1 frequency range, to build a fairly generalized I/Q box. It doesn't look difficult.

lunatic fringe electronics

I get depressed if I type code for more than a couple of weeks. It becomes grunt work, as much fun as doing your taxes.

Analog design, signals-and-systems stuff, is endlessly amusing to me. Customers keep coming up with cool problems to solve.

lunatic fringe electronics

That seems a reasonable attitude. In this group, discussions about non-electronics things are equally "on-topic" - but it could greatly benefit from less of these gratuitous attacks and insults. (I am not suggesting they come from you.)

Reply to
David Brown

Oh, it was nothing like that. Every bench in the lab (I guesstimate 25-50) had multiple power supplies, a modern Tek 1GHz DSO, signal generators etc etc. Very nice, very useful and usable.

I asked, and the students are still allowed to use the lab unsupervised and for things that aren't course projects.

That attitude enabled me to build a 6800 computer with

128 bytes of RAM, which really impressed people during interviews :)

Robotic /can/ involve control theory. Drones /must/ involve control theory.

There were crap courses in my day too. Even as a schoolkid I could see that. Travelling to see my "top" five universities was a good introduction to quickly assessing joints and making decisions on inadequate information.

A key point in my choosing my uni was that the prospectus contained the course titles, and I already knew that I wanted to understand all those topics.

Never underestimate kids' ability and attention :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Did Cursitor Doom ever design electronics and get it to work?

Given the critical thinking ability he shows here, it could be quite amusing (in a car crash way) to be a fly on the wall watching him test, debug and modify anything he created.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

There were many people like that when I had newly graduated.

The personnel director of the company I joined remarked that if he watched someone trying to a simple practical test, it only took 1 minute remote observation to see if they had ever touched the tools before.

People are people. Then and now.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Bill, why are you stalking John Larkin? Your unwarranted repetitive attacks are annoying.

Reply to
John S

John S wrote in news:pnt0tl$5qh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Sorry to break that itty bitty bubble you call a brain, child (and I say that as you obviously have been here with horse blinders on for the last decade), but JL was just as much of an insulting, post stalking asshole not all that long ago. He has since settled a bit, but those who know him can still see his attitude shinning through often.

You? You are simply another oblivious dork. You do not rank that much farther down the totem pole than SkyBuck Flying. And he sits at the top.

JL is far worse than those he has enraged (FLOABW) over the years.

Folks like you must have bought your Larkin branded horse blinders straight from the Trump Superstore in Manhattan.