Momentary > 5 seconds > Latch

I'll probably end up getting a 50 cent PIC and do this but screwed around with a 4011, a latching SCR -- 555 trying to do it with minimum parts count.

Just curious if you (experts) come up with something.

Or I'm embarrassingly missing something very simple.

So --

Have a momentary pulse (can go hi or low)

Triggers something that can pause 5 seconds

Latches an output hi or low for an LED.

Drove me nuts yesterday goofing with it thinking it would be a cinch.

Like I say if it's a chip and a few external parts fine but may just do the PIC. Guess I'm just curious what you guys will say in posting this.

Reply to
mkr5000

Your spec is too vague.

You need to describe the input voltages and timing, and exactly what you want to happen for each possible input.

It sounds like you're asking for something like this

.------. .-----------------------------------|D | | | Q|--->LED >--+-->change detect--->5s one-shot----|CLK | '------'

(but I really can't tell).

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

5 volts.

I have 1 momentary pulse to work with (already available) (hi or low but will change state -- if it goes hi it will go back low etc) > 5 second pause > 1 latching output (hi or low)

Possible could use a 556 with one side astable and other monostable with infinite on.

Too many parts though -- probably will use a PIC.

Reply to
mkr5000

Was trying to use a 4093 because I have a lot of them.

Reply to
mkr5000

Clear as mud ;-)

Is it, short pulse, then 5 seconds later you want to latch a high for a high-going pulse and latch a low for a low-going pulse? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

What does this magical "momentary pulse" look like? ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

I don't understand your spec either, but you might be able to do this with a CMOS enabled counter. The input pulse resets the counter which starts timing 5 seconds. When it reaches the final count the carry output stops the counter until the next reset pulse. I'm not at all clear on how you want to generate an output. Does it toggle each time the input triggers? If the delayed trigger turns the output on, what turns it off?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Are you saying you want the output to latch a LED, high or low, if the momentary input lasts for 5 seconds?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I did something similare using a ATTiny45. Simple, low cost, smal foot print..

Reply to
andre

It's the output pin of I/O port on a PI. Goes low or high. Whatever I choose and for as long as I choose.

That's the momentary. > 5 second delay > latching output from something --

5 volts or zero makes no difference as long as it latches.
Reply to
mkr5000

;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Saying "it latches" isn't a very good description. What do you mean by that? Is there some other signal you want to hold the value of? I suspect you mean you want the output to go high and stay high (or low), but you don't say how or when this state is exited. What makes it return to low (or high)?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Double that ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

Nevermind -- boy do you guys get worked up. :)

LATCHING as in it LATCHES. A constant 5v or zero, what the heck else do you need to know?

Like how a 4093 will latch as a flip flop etc. Or those old CMOS chips that they called (guess what) -- LATCHES.

Reply to
mkr5000

It's not important -- probably shouldn't have posted -- was just sick of talking to myself about how I couldn't do it with a NAND gate.

Reply to
mkr5000

that may be it -- like a 4518 or whatever they were

Reply to
mkr5000

Seems you can't do much of anything with anything. Plonk! ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

was responding to Mr Rickman about using a counter -- anyway bad post

my bad

post

Reply to
mkr5000

well then you do it smarty pants

wtf do you know about me?

Reply to
mkr5000

I knew you were going to say that.

A latch latches whatever data is on the D input. You have not said what it is you wish to latch. I think what you really mean is to hold the output in a given state, but you don't say what will get it out of that state. Will it be ok to short and fuse two wires together so the output is forever high?

--

Rick C
Reply to