momentary switch??

hi guys im new to the forum and real new to the elctronics game im real keen to learn to further my skills and further my business into custom electrics for the automotive industry..

my name is jon and i do car upholstery and custom led at the moment im doing a custom chopper (motor cycle) and we have to use 5 momentary switches to turn the indicators (5mm Led), head lights, high beam, horn and LEDS etc on....

i have to use the momentry switch because i only have a small area....

but i want to use the momentary switch to turn the lights on and off....

can you guys help me out with a idiots guid to how to do this....

thanks for your time, looking foward to your replies...

Reply to
trim trendz

hi guys im new to the forum and real new to the elctronics game im real keen to learn to further my skills and further my business into custom electrics for the automotive industry..

my name is jon and i do car upholstery and custom led at the moment im doing a custom chopper (motor cycle) and we have to use 5 momentary switches to turn the indicators (5mm Led), head lights, high beam, horn and LEDS etc on....

i have to use the momentry switch because i only have a small area....

but i want to use the momentary switch to turn the lights on and off....

can you guys help me out with a idiots guid to how to do this....

thanks for your time, looking foward to your replies...

Reply to
trim trendz

This involves using a momentary switch signal to toggle a flip-flop circuit, whose output switches a load on and off.

It's tempting to combine the various circuit elements, such as making the power switch part of the flip flop, to minimize the amount and cost of the circuitry. A challenging yet simple topic like this is something we can't resist, and therefore it has appeared in a number of threads on s.e.d. over the years, and some reasonably-optimal circuits have resulted. All of the circuits have to deal successfully with switch bounce, which is a fact-of-life "defect" of momentary switches.

In its most simple form it can look something like this one posted recently by Chris Foley.

. .------ 10k -------. . | | MOSFET . | |\\ |\\ | |-- . o--| >O--o---| >O--o---|| . | |/ | |/ |-- . | 220K . | T | . | --- | 0.1uF . '--o o---o-----||--. . | . GND

Bill Bowden has one on his website, adapted from John Lundgren. It has more parts but doesn't use a potentially-large logic IC.

I created a similar circuit, meant to work with an optically- isolated toggle signals.

. ,---------------------+---+-----(O) 7 to 18V . | | | . 1.0M 100k_|_ . | | /_\\ . +-------, ,--330k---+ | . ,------+ any \\ / +---+-----(O) SW . | Q1 | npn / | . | 2n c / \\ |--' Q2 . | 4401 b --+-' '--+--|| IRF540 . R1 | e | | |--,S . 4.7M | 10k 1k | . | gnd | | +---------(O) COM . | | +13 | | . C1 +-------o o--' | | gnd . 0.22uF | ,-|

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Now Thats a good one! Alternate action plus debounce with a minimum of parts.

Luhan Monat (luhanxmonat-at-yahoo^dot^com)

"Reality: what a concept!"

Reply to
Luhan

Many thanks.

A summary like this is appreciated for valuable threads I've missed for various reasons.

Robert

Reply to
Robert

thanks i found a guy selling the kit with remote for $80 so just got that instead but thank you very much

Reply to
trim trendz