Modern User-Friendly Technology

Can't get your hands on anything but dipsticks and filler caps...

...Jim Thompson

In message , Jim Thompson writes

Usually pretty easy to pull the covers off though... Glad to see your garage is as tidy as mine though.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

In message , dated Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

Annual service charge:

To servicing engine $100 To finding engine $900

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Did you ever look under the hood of a Jaguar XJE for example? It looks like that but there are no covers.

I think they pour in a measured quantity of "liquid motor," and let it harden.............

Reply to
BFoelsch

In message , dated Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

Well, they wouldn't want you getting your fingers caught in any of those whirly thingys.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Looks like they potted your engine.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

Isn't that what's called 'f*ck-off engineering' ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Hey, you design integrated circuits. They're hard to repair, too.

My VW looks like that. It hardly needs a hood/bonnet.

John

It's in a state of flux.

What you can't see in that the ceiling is 12', so I've added 3' drop steel shelving and am gradually reorganizing.

When I'm done I'm adding a full-sized work bench and a drinks refrigerator {:-)) in the floor space between the 2-bay and single-bay sides of the garage.

...Jim Thompson

Some car manufacturer (Volvo?) floated the idea of having an engine compartment that was sealed to all but authorized service personnel. It didn't get a very postive response, IIRC.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I'm in HOA land, no parking on the street overnight, except for visitors.

That's why I added the overhead shelving. Once I get everything sorted and moved, in will go a real full-sized workbench.

...Jim Thompson

That's our new Q45, the '96 was starting to show signs of front end wear... too many miles at 100+ over rough roads, so we replaced it.

Besides, this one is peachy-keen loaded with a GPS map screen, built-in Sirius Radio, and air-conditioned seat cushions ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You are all behind the times.

Nobody repairs integrated circuits these days. The circuit board, if it can be diagnosed, or the whole box full, is scrapped and replaced.

It's merely a matter of time and economics. =======================================

Reply to
Reg Edwards

All that ion-beam milling and laser CVD stuff is being done for nothing?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ion-beam milling is mostly used for diagnostic work to find errors.

It's generally not sturdy enough for long-term repairs; and is disastrously expensive as a production tool.

...Jim Thompson

Hmm, just get rid of those pieces of plastic and start modifying! There are loads of circuits around to get more power from your car.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

345 HP seems quite adequate ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I don't know if ion-beam milling can fix "defects". It's generally used for re-wiring, or isolating chip sections for test.

...Jim Thompson

Yes.

Could something like this 85 megapixel CCD use those techniques to substantially reduce the number of defects (page 7 has the allowable defects by grade)?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hello Jim,

My wife would have the fits if our garage was in that state of flux :-)

(When I am doing projects it sometimes does get messy...)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to