Modern User-Friendly Technology

I wonder how many Polynesians it took to find Hawaii and Tahiti and those other little pinpoints of land in the Pacific?

D'ya suppose any of them found their way to the continent? I saw some Mexican stand-up comic, who was kinda fat, say that he had got an acting role playing a Hawaiian guy - he said, "Hawaiians look just like swollen Mexicans!"

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It just seems to me like a.b.s.e isn't really the "right" venue for all this political crap.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Even Hawaii? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

In message , dated Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Rich Grise writes

Humans go to Australia over 40 000 years ago. Even island-hopping is insanely dangerous in the Timor Sea. There is alleged to be evidence that the Polynesians had methods of celestial navigation that have been lost.

There ARE allegations that the Pacific was crossed to western South America, and even to California, but then there are allegations about everything.

Think about the situation. Some people decide, for whatever reason, to set out into the unknown. They are soon out of contact, and they will never be heard of again. No-one back home will know if they found an inhabitable island, starved or drowned. It's quite a different situation from our current ventures into space travel, where we can see and hear the travellers throughout most of their journey.

And over hundreds of years, there would be many such ventures. If people had luck, crossing the Pacific could be less hazardous that what the Vikings did in the north Atlantic.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Read the book "Kon Tiki".

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

Yes, Heyerdahl proved it could have been done, but he agreed that it didn't prove that it was done. Even so, it probably was. However, the Incas' story is consistent with South America having been colonized from the north at a much earlier time than the presumed migration of Kon Tiki westwards took place.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Yes, that happened to my boss last year. Fortunately, I did my house extension around 10 years ago, and the windows in the original part had been changed some years before that. We used CR Smith UltraFade windows, so they looked like they had been fitted well before the nonsense had been thought up.

Mind you, these are the same clowns that wanted us to build a septic tank to take the horse effluent from our stables. My wife asked them what they thought horses did in the field.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

Heyerdahl also claimed that the original inhabitants of Tenerife were part of this diaspora, and had some apparent stone pyramids "reconstructed" there. I wandered round the site earlier this year, but was not at all convinced of the plausibility.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

The cynical opportunist? He's got the country house, and is watching development getting closer as more of the green belt gets built on. Once it gets close enough to get planning permission for a couple of executive homes in his fields, there's his retirement ticket.

Regards Ian

;-)

Reply to
Ian

Guessing and supposition. See the "Ra Expedition". Look through ancient Pacific island long haul seagoing exploration. Records over a mere 500 years old are very spotty, and records over 5000 years old are nearly non-existent. There really is not much of any way to know.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

In message , dated Fri,

18 Aug 2006, joseph2k writes

What is? There is a LOT of detail known of migrations across the Bering Strait and down the western seaboard of N. America.

Somebody else mentioned 'Ra' and I already responded to that.

Records over 5000 years old? What about fossils?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Its time to vote them out of office. :(

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Good rant. I honestly enjoyed reading it!. john

Reply to
John Jardine.

Poor "Phat Bytestard". I call his list a reflection of his complete impotence ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Twisted Sister

We're Not Gonna Take It Lyrics

Oh We're Not Gonna Take It no, We Ain't Gonna Take It oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

we've Got The Right To Choose And there Ain't No Way We'll Lose It this Is Our Life, This Is Our Song we'll Fight The Powers That Be Just don't Pick Our Destiny 'cause you Don't Know Us, You Don't Belong

oh We're Not Gonna Take It no, We Ain't Gonna Take It oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

oh You're So Condescending your Gall Is Never Ending we Don't Want Nothin', Not A Thing From You your Life Is Trite And Jaded boring And Confiscated if That's Your Best, Your Best Won't Do

oh..................... oh..................... we're Right/yeah we're Free/yeah we'll Fight/yeah you'll See/yeah

oh We're Not Gonna Take It no, We Ain't Gonna Take It oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

oh We're Not Gonna Take It no, We Ain't Gonna Take It oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore no Way!

oh..................... oh..................... we're Right/yeah we're Free/yeah we'll Fight/yeah you'll See/yeah

we're Not Gonna Take It no, We Ain't Gonna Take It we're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

we're Not Gonna Take It, No! no, We Ain't Gonna Take It we're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

just You Try And Make Us we're Not Gonna Take It come On no, We Ain't Gonna Take It you're All Worthless And Weak we're Not Gonna Take It Anymore now Drop And Give Me Twenty we're Not Gonna Take It oh Crinch Pin no, We Ain't Gonna Take It oh You And Your Uniform we're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

Reply to
Homer J Simpson