Magneto-optic Time Freeze?

Seems to be what they're talking about here:

The hyped way the article is written doesn't help, but the property is neat. "Slowing" or "freezing" light has been demonstrated before, but this seems to be more useful (magnetically switched)?

And I guess, something about the bandwidth too (were the earlier "freezing" experiments only possible with narrow laser bandwidths because of high Q bulk resonance?).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

I think the last comment nails it; the bandwidth and Q factor/energy storage tradeoff law only applies when you're dealing with an LTI system. The system they've designed clearly isn't LTI - if you could design say an LC tank circuit that could dynamically modulate its component values in response to the bandwidth of an incoming pulse then the law wouldn't apply in that situation, either.

Reply to
bitrex

That is to say, physical laws are absolute, so long as they are applied in the domain in which they hold absolutely.

Reply to
bitrex

One would need the article and not the news blurb.

From abstract. " By way of example, we theoretically demonstrate how, in an astutely designed magnetized semiconductor heterostructure, the above limit can be exceeded by orders of magnitude by using realistic material parameters. "

Theorists!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks!

Figures there's some reason for the hyped hype... just numbers :)

Tim