fiber optic to the house

It seems that a few years ago fiber was the hot subject. I would like to know if there are any plans to try to run fiber to the house, and what is the problem with why it hasn't been done already.

Reply to
rcleary

I know this isn't exactly your question but..

In the UK some housing development are supplied by fiber but the final run to the house is wire. The fiber part of the chain actually prevents those houses having broadband via ADSL and they have to make do with 56K dial up lines. They are actually worse off than people who have an all wire link to the exchange.

Reply to
CWatters

you going to loan the phone company the money? its just to costly. rw

Reply to
Rein Wiehler

The cost of splicing it, and the termination equipment is still quite high.

Reply to
Gary Tait

This is also true in the US. They call it "fiber to the curb" and is usually seen where all the utilities are run underground.

My daughter in Virginia has cable modem service for Internet access because of this.

More about me:

VB3/VB6/NSBasic Palm/C/PowerBasic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
johnecarter at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Reply to
the Wiz

I found ancient runes from rcleary[ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net] in the floor of sci.electronics.misc:

Simple and direct answer: the costs.

--
'You receive a scroll of signature. It says:'
Chaos MasterĀ® - Posting from Porto Alegre - Brazil.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net mentioned...

You should post your question to comp.dcom.cabling, comp.dcom.telecom.tech NGs.

One reason I can think of: $$$

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar