link OK?

Does this look OK?

I guess I have to stop using Dropbox public links. The idiots will break them all in September.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yes, it's fine.

They're only going to break the old links to the public-by-default folders. You can still make new links to anything (including the Public folder) using "shared links", and those won't stop working in September. Public-by-default folders were always a bad idea.

Clifford Heath

Works for me.

Reply to
Jim Whitby

But why are they breaking all the links that I've posted over the years? Why can't they make them work like shared links?

lunatic fringe electronics

Dropbox links work a bit better if you change the ending "dl=0" to "raw=1".

The default opens the file inside a Dropbox windows as opposed to just opening the file directly.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

It's not at all clear to me what will be going away. I've got folders I've made public. (Like for an instrument training workshop.) Where I have the manual (maybe several separate chapters) Workshop question and stuff to do before hand, data etc. Is that going to go away? I'll have to send separate links?

(Not to worry, I'll just wait till 10/2017 and see what happens.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Why were public links a bad idea? Most of the Web is public.

Apparently all the old links will break.

Interesting business model, regularly pissing off your paying customers.

lunatic fringe electronics

If I nab the Dropbox link to a non-public file, I get this:

which opens, as you say, on their site.

If I change it to

it opens in the browser but the URL somehow changes to

What a pain.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den mandag den 3. april 2017 kl. 18.07.19 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

I assume they found a security hole that meant people could access stuff in other peoples dropboxes that wasn't mean to be public

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen