OT: Linux dd diskwipe is a LIAR

I call this a "base", which has been done at least 4 times so far. ONLY SCSI Seagate 50G drive in computer. Use Parted Magic for dd diskwipe. Use Parted Magic to write Partition Table and label drive. Use Partinfo and Ptedit to verify what little it can see. Use Spinrite to verify what little it can see. --> obviously now, the "everything" program might be useful to use in XP for checking. Would be nice if there was a self-supporting version (like Spinrite.) to ensure the OS does no buggering of the SCSI drive. --> best to have a self-supporting program to graphically show drive contents byte-to-color pixel basis. This way one can minimize lies WRT drive contents. --> make dern sure to NOT use Computer Management (known to alter drive contents with NO prompting - see below), and not Windows Explorer (which seems to be safe).

"Base" in place. WinXP (meaning OS HD and SCSI HD and NO OTHER "drives"). Windows Explorer reports SCSI drive full of files that had been written, and the label as well. Proof of dd diskwipe lies. Computer Management reports no label, unformatted (ie: empty); proof of OS buggering drive contents. Windows Explorer reports only System Volume info; implies formatted. dd diskwipe is SUPPOSED to write zeros (aka unformatted state). More proof of dd diskwipe lies. Added BIG 500 Shadow stick, copied some files. From this point forward, the drive seems to act normal.

So we have magic and lies here. After "base", seeing anything on the drive by any program with no regard to vintage, state,etc indicates to me that dd diskwipe is a liar and it would be very nice to know what the heck dd is really doing during those 1.5 hours of operation. Magic comes via Computer Management reporting something different, verified by Windows Explorer reporting only System Volume info; implies formatted. It is not supposed to mangle the drive (unless one tells it to defrag the drive); do we have hidden, un-documented magic here?

Trouble in River City....

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't know the internals of Windows, but is it possible that you've got a shadow copy of the data on the OS disk ?

Do the dd erase and connect the disk to an another computer. The only times I've had dd fail are broken disk, erasing the wrong disk or specifying wrong size. Erasing OS drive causes HAL9000 like symptoms.

--
mikko
Reply to

what is that, and how was it used?

Jasen Betts

There is a sensible argument for buying a new Dell, with Windows installed, about every 5 years.

lunatic fringe electronics

Erasing wrong disk is impossible, as the 500G SCSI drive is the ONLY drive to work on; the boot Parted Magic CD is removed by the/its OS. Moving the SCSI drive to another computer gives no additional info.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Google Parted Magic..

PartedMagic - Partitioning, Cloning, Rescue, and Erasing. Powerful Tools for Home or Office! Parted Magic is a complete hard disk management solution. [Search domain partedmagic.com] partedmagic.com

Download Parted Magic - MajorGeeks The Parted Magic OS employs core programs of GParted and Parted to handle partitioning tasks with ease, while featuring other useful software (e.g. Partimage ... [Search domain

majorgeeks.com/files/details/parted_magic-html

etc..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Especially a Smell,as their support has no equal.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Don't buy a Dell laptop, they DRM their lappies with a 1-wire interface tand a little TO-92 lockout IC to only accept OEM power bricks!

Reply to
bitrex