Ice age by 2050?

from UC San Diego, not Fox News

These guys think it may start in 4 years

source professor Valentina Zharkova at Northumbria University (UK)

Picked up from another group.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Burn the finalists at the stake then the gods may forgive us and restore the sun.

Reply to
bulegoge

Let's hope it's a LIA, and not one of the big ones.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Old story:

Here's the paper in question, I'd be willing to bet not a single journalist on the planet could understand it, they'd hit Equation 1 and see a calculus thingie and give up.

Reply to
bitrex

I don't know about this. The last sunspot cycle was predicted to be bigger than any previous ones. That didn't pan out......

Martin Riddle

It's the usual idiots confusing the sun-spot cycle with solar output.

We've just had period of "low solar activity" and it hasn't looked much like an ice age.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

-another-ice-age-759865

The Little Ice Age did coincide with the Maunder Minimum, but correlation d oesn't guarnatee causation. Sun-spot activity has very little effect on th e heat output from the sun, and the Little Ice Age was an episode of region al cooling centred around the North Atlantic rather than anything global - like a real ice age.

Denialist propaganda is aimed at ignorant idiots - nobody else is gullible enough to take it seriously - but this is even more half-witted than usual.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The most important aspect, of course, is that 'solar activity' is not solar energy flux, but surface weather in the photosphere. All the fusion generating energy is in the solar core, unobserved, and not related to the visible evidences the authors are citing.

Reply to
whit3rd

Here is a version from the horse's mouth Northumbria Universities actual press release:

Anything using PCA for data analysis has to be suspect.

There is some indication that sunspot numbers are falling away a bit but at present they are not significantly worse than at several other periods in the nineteenth and twentieth century. If anything for the latter part of the last century the sun was more exciting than normal.

I wouldn't hold your breath or lay in stocks of reindeer steak just yet.

One thing people in the UK forget is that we have an insanely mild climate for such a high latitude. There are palm trees on W coast of Scotland at 55N protected by the Gulf Stream aka Atlantic Conveyor. That coastal side is almost frost free except in the hardest winters.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

Moon howling nutter with his tin foil hat on a paranoid conspiracy channel. Buy up your survivalist gear now if you believe his trash.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown