Huawei launches Kirin 980 processor, the world's first commercial 7nm SoC

It is. Anybody can get parts or equipment overnight from Digikey. Anybody can start a business in their garage. What regulation there is, is mostly ignored. Somebody here said that in some countries, you need a license to order parts. All you need here is a credit card or an Amazon account.

I just don't see much competition from China or India or Russia or South America or even Canada. A little from europe, but my competitors there are often copying my stuff.

Somehow that doesn't translate into many companies or innovation.

I'm just commenting on what I see.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Right. And once one lunatic (Wright brothers, Townes, Armstrong, the fracking guy) demonstrate that something impossible actually works, everybody else is liberated to do it too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How much compute power do you need for Facebook and Pokemon on a small screen? Most of the compute power used in a phone is in the RF signal processing.

Maybe 20 million? 50? I'm not sure. I don't do it for the money. Money is boring.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We are so lucky to have a language with 26 letters and 10 numbers.

Certainly not in allowing free communications. They like giant factories and military stuff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin wrote

No problem here, you need some diplomas to show you know what you are doing and are not going to cause havoc. Then you can register a company, get insurance, a tax number, the works. I can buy whatever I want anywhere.

You mean in your specific field? But you largely work or the US gov right? My first job was among other things for the navy and army and power stations here. We got request, made a design proposal, others did too, they selected some company and if you got the order. build it, testing, acceptance test, the works. You would not hear from it in America.

???? There is a lot going on in Europe today, usually US is way behind, as with digital TV. China is way ahead with G5, high speed trains, please read their news site for a while, it is a refreshing and fascinating change from your media sick reality show disaster. Now we talk consumer electronics. Apple is just trying to catch up with S Korea Samsung with OLEDs.

He who does not want to see is effectively blind.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

SoC

home.?

he next thing after the PC and account for more computing power than PCs at this point with literally billions in circulation.

dollars from these designs. How much did you most successful design ever make?

Hey, if you ever feel like taking a walk on the wild side I'd be happy to take some off your hands. :^) I promise to put it either to my kids education or electronics kit.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sometimes. And sometimes not. There are many things that work that 99.9% of people are convinced don't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We give a lot to various charitable causes, but mostly to people who are a lot poorer than you are.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

To run Facebook and Tinder

Reply to
bitrex

Some of the press and popular writers might have thought heavier-than-air flight was impossible in 1900 but there was likely less skepticism in the scientific community.

Inventors had been trying for several decades and some attempts came closer than others (a couple unmanned engine-driven flights of significant distance were made in the late 1800s) the physics of it and what had to happen was fairly well-understood.

The reason many of the other inventors failed where the Wrights succeeded is that a lot of the inventors who tried were hacks who didn't really know what they were doing, the Wrights were the first to really approach the problem in a systematic, scientific way in the fashion of a modern engineer.

Reply to
bitrex

that is to say it wasn't a theoretical problem it was known what thrust, lift, drag, etc. were and that combined in the right proportions you get flight and that at that time there were engines available and materials that could provide the needed amount of thrust and lift. Exactly what proportions and the morphology of the shapes needed to accomplish it was the question i.e. an engineering problem not a theory one.

Reply to
bitrex

7nm SoC

his home.?

y the next thing after the PC and account for more computing power than PCs at this point with literally billions in circulation.

t.

of dollars from these designs. How much did you most successful design ev er make?

Absolutely correct. Next year I'll have two kids in college, some assets are going to have to be sold. But it's not really a problem. I'm biased, but I think my kids will succeed.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's one way of exploring the solution. There are others, even if John Larkin doesn't know about them.

But it produced us, and the AIDS virus. It can get a very long way.

Perhaps because it misses the benefits of getting a deeper understanding of the solution space.

True, but irrelevant.

If John Larkin can understand it, it has been dumbed down to appeal to a larger market. A recommendation from Phil Hobbs would carry more weight.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Those "small screens" have a metric shitload of pixels to push around.

They have a couple of orders of magnitude more families to keep in food, too. That's not a bad thing.

Reply to
krw

That's possible pretty much everywhere in the advanced industrial world. In the Netherlands I had to register my business with the local chamber of co mmerce (which was neither difficult nor expensive) before Farnell would acc ept my orders, by they can overnight.

Generally true everywhere. You do have to jump through hoops if you want to hire other people, but you can always sub-contract work out to people who have jumped through those hoops.

So people get burnt to death in fire-trap work-places?

A credit card is a kind of license - you can't get one if you are a bankrup t - and my Amazon account certainly depends on my having a credit card.

Even in a highly automated system like Amazon's, processing an individual o rder has a fixed cost, and businesses have an interest in minimising tiny o rders from mad hobbyists (though they have worked out that development engi neers making the same kind of tiny order from a real business are worth sup porting).

Your stuff seems to include a lot of bespoke stuff designed for specific ph ysicists. Chinese and Indian physicists are going to go to local electronic engineers to get their half-baked ideas turned into working electronics.

2, modern magnetic recording, magnetron, LCDs, microwave radar,

and in China too.

And in Europe and Australia. The European market is at least as big as the American market - more people, but not all of them have American incomes.

The Chinese domestic market contains even more people, but not as much buyi ng power.

Australian inventor-developers tend to move to the US if they've come up wi th something that will sell to a mass market - China or Europe would pay of f better, but there's a language problem.

None that John Larkin knows about.

John's problem is that he doesn't see far enough. His views about anthropog enic global warming are dominated by what denialist web sites feed him, and he hasn't managed to see beyond that into the scientific literature.

He's a gullible sucker for all sorts of propaganda, and that does include T rumpist "America is great" nonsense.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The Wright brothers weren't lunatics, and lots of people around the world were working on developing flying machines at the same time.

comes to mind. His 1906 flight - in his own self-designed aircraft - was the first in Europe. The Wright brothers had been secretive about their own achievements, and nobody in France took them seriously back in 1906.

I don't think that any of the others listed were lunatics either. Coming up with an innovation requires an independent mind-set, and skeptics won't like it, but insanity isn't any part of the prescription for innovation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

SoC

home.?

he next thing after the PC and account for more computing power than PCs at this point with literally billions in circulation.

That is clearly not correct. The main chip in a cell phone has a multicore processor for the UI and main processing, a graphics engine to handle the video processing and off to the side is the remnant of the DSP processor wh ich became subservient to the rest of the phone years ago, handling the fai rly simple tasks of processing the transceiver needs. The only part of tha t which is still being developed is reducing the power consumption.

You can wave your hands at the needs of Internet comms, but this continues to grow in complexity and processing requirements as the functionality incr eases.

Bill Gates didn't see the significance of the Internet either. He almost c ut himself entirely out of it.

dollars from these designs. How much did you most successful design ever make?

And yet you strive to be more profitable every day, to be more like those y ou criticize. Obviously you are just not in the same league with them beca use your skills only suit a niche market. Your company doesn't have the po tential to ever grow very large because of your self-limitations.

I actually am not interested in having the money. But I find it fun to mak e money. I find that to be the most thrilling thing I've ever done. You c an design your little circuits but I find making money to be exciting. It is the most challenging engineering ever. Even if engineering is not invol ved.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

This is a pretty good book:

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What? You are so stupid that you do not know how to use tinyurl?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I honestly wonder how anyone thought that. Surely they knew that birds are heavier than air?

Reply to
Clifford Heath