Future loss of Arctic sea-ice cover could drive a su bstantial decrease in California?s rainfall, aka drought

Far from just being bad news for polar bears or vulnerable island chains, m elting Arctic sea ice caps can affect areas a long way from the Arctic regi on, bringing not only higher sea levels, but also severe drought. This may be the case for California, which could see its already extreme lack of wat er getting worse in the coming decades, according to researchers at the Law rence Livermore National Laboratory.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

We've been told repeatedly that climate change is going to shift weather systems all over the place. And we're already seeing substantial versions of this. But, sheesh, why don't we get to enjoy some positive benefits, here and there where we need it?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Very noisy pattern in California, no obvious trend.

Nothing new here. But if you are really into fear, enjoy.

No, the only possible outcomes of any change of anything must be disaster. Disaster is where the money is.

It looks to me like we are close to one of those periodic temperature peaks.

so the next ice age will be blamed on global warming. People are hedging their bets already.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hmm, It seems pretty obvious to me that short term things are warming, it's been going on for a long time (~100's of years). We could argue about what's causing it, or if it's good or bad. But I hope we can agree that's it's slowly been getting warmer.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oddly enough the climate has changed for a while now. Ask the Mayans...

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

It has warmed a bit since the end of the Little Ice Age, roughly 1850. It may well be close to the peak.

The most usual state of the planet is covered in kilometers of ice. It's very nice now.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Arctic sea ice is floating, so why would that change sea levels globally, regardless if that ice is in solid or liquid form ?

Only melting glaciers on solid ground, such as Greenland, will add to the mass of water in oceans. How this affects the local sea levels depends on the isostatic process, in which the extra mass in oceans will push the sea floor downwards.

Globally higher sea and air temperatures will increase evaporation and warmer air can contain more water before saturation. Since the water vapor doesn't stay forever in the atmosphere, it must sooner or later rain down, increasing the global rainfall.

This rainfall is not equally distributed, so some areas will get a dryer climate, while other a wetter climate. The Sahara desert is only a few tens millenniums old and it may take a few millenniums, before California becomes a desert. Tough luck :-) When the first sentence in that original post contains that many errors, there is no point of reading any further.

Reply to
upsidedown

There's a huge amount of land ice in the arctic region. The melting sea ice only contributes to its melting.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It's definitely warming--you can barely find a woolly mammoth these days, and they used to be everywhere. :-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Actually they /are/ becoming more common. They are popping out of the melting permafrost more frequently than before :(

No, I can't instantly find a reference for that; ISTR it was in a documentary about them.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Those are just a bunch of your crappy graphs that you take out of context a nd are incompetent to interpret. You're part of that crowd who have their m inds made up and look for isolated little bits of factoids supporting your beliefs. You would make a lousy scientist.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

OK, glad you agree.

Say I think there is some guy trying to grow a woolly mammoth.

Is that to help combat the warming? :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

=1

re

aw=1

=1

,

gree

s,

Apparently, yes.

"As for why we would want to bring back the woolly mammoth, Church says the move could secure an alternative future for endangered Asian elephant, and could also help combat global warming. ?They keep the tundra from thawing by punching through snow and allowing cold air to come in,? says C hurch."

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I hear that people are actually water skiing in Minnesota!

lunatic fringe electronics

Stop being rational!

In a complex chaotic system with hundreds of unknowns, simple reasoning like that is pretty much random guesswork.

Most of California has been a desert for a long time now, defined as having less than 20 inches of annual rainfall.

In a few millenia, it's likely that a lot of California will be under glaciers again.

A little warming is great for life on Earth. The more usual state of the planet is what we call ice age, and that will kill off most living things.

We live in paradise, but some people would whine in Heaven.

lunatic fringe electronics

Not to worry. Antarctica is gaining a hundred billion or so tons of ice every year.

New York City ain't underwater yet. What went wrong?

lunatic fringe electronics

:

e:

e:

and

ut

ch

he

=1

ture

?raw=1

=1

ng,

ue

agree

ays,

he

nd

m thawing

Church."

Oh my, Well shows I should read articles more carefully before posting.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

(Have you heard that in Heaven there ain't no beer? :^)

GH

Reply to
George Herold

ins, melting Arctic sea ice caps can affect areas a long way from the Arcti c region, bringing not only higher sea levels, but also severe drought.

ice only contributes to its melting.

It is not, they only recently completed depth sounding in the place. That l ast big west antarctic breakup is now allowing warm ocean water to enter it s containment bowl, which will begin the process of floating the ice and ca using it to break apart. We now know from the sounding measurements that we st antarctic alone will cause a 24 feet sea level rise.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

te:

ote:

ming,

rgue

an agree

days,

the

and

rom thawing

ys Church."

No, no, no--that was a great article. All we need to save the world are large roaming herds of woolly mammoths--that was valuable information.

Grins, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat