Female Hurricanes More Deadly Study Shows

Isn't this typical...

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The argument seems to be that they weren't intrinsically more deadly, but rather that the populations being warned about them didn't take them as seriously, so more people stayed in their homes when they should have evacuated.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You are obsessed with women, and you don't like them. Sounds like a nasty situation to me.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The obvious way to save hundreds of lives is to name all hurricanes with men's names. However that is not politically correct. Did they study ethnic names? Or would that study be unfundable because of PC? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

They should name them with names like Godzilla, Rodan, ... and see if that has an effect on preparedness.

Reply to
Tom Miller

I got that, it's just ridiculous, but it does in fact make the female named hurricanes more deadly as defined by death toll...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Not even close, Dr. Phil.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Beyond being a curious factoid, the story points up the dangers of anthropomorphizing the storm, they should be given alphanumeric designations.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Did they account for the fact that all storms had female names until the late 1970s?

Reply to
bitrex

Typical of what?

Hurricanes that are especially deadly have their names retired: I'm too lazy to count, but it does look like there are more female names on the retired list than male.

List of hurricane names through 2019: In the Atlantic, 21 names per year. I counted an equal ratio of male and female names for each year, so each sex has an equal chance of winning this years deadliest hurricane competition.

If they run out of names in a single season, they plan to switch to the Greek alphabet, which is mostly gender neutral.

Sigh... No hurricane Jeff available.

If they numbered hurricanes instead of giving them names, someone would probably suggest that even or odd numbered hurricanes are more deadly. Or prime numbered hurricanes. Or numerology. Yeah, I can see why they decided to name hurricanes instead of numbering them.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

They should name them after monsters. Hurricane Dracula, Hurricane Cthulu, Hurricane Krakon, Hurricane Mecha-Godizalla, Hurricane Grendal. Hurricane Smaug. I think it would be awhile before we ran out.

Reply to
wanderer

All Atlantic storms used to be given women's names.

They got up to Hurricane Gamma in January 2006.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The superstitious types are doing that anyway...just name the friggin storms H(urricane)#1, H#2, etc...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There's a minute chance that using only women's names might return, especially since the head of NOAA is a woman. However, I would not takes any bets on it.

I once suggested that since hurricanes rotate anti-clockwise in the northern latitudes and have names that read from left to right, then clockwise hurricanes in the southern latitudes should have Hebrew and Arabic names that read from right to left. Popular support for the idea failed to materialize.

Greek has 24 letters, so that should be enough to handle any theoretical overload from global warming. It's good to see that NOAA is properly prepared for an increase in the number of hurricanes and the end of civilization as we know it.

Scraping bottom: "Study: Male hurricane names taken more seriously than female ones"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Yep. Numbers have meanings: I'm not sure how that applies to hurricanes, but I'm sure something can be contrived. When they get control of NOAA, they should delete Hurricane #13, which might be decidedly unlucky.

Hmmm... with the government in charge, I would have thought they would sell the right to have a hurricane named after your favorite corporate sponsor. If not, maybe a lottery where the winner has a hurricane named after themselves (or their former spouse).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

IIRR the climate modellers don't expect global warming to lead to more hurr icanes - just more intense hurricanes.

The preconditions for a hurricane are an area of sea surface more than 5 de grees away from the equator that's warmer than 26.5C down to a depth of 50 metres. Global warming should deliver this more frequently in the future, a nd further away from the equator than before, but the expectation is that t his will lead to bigger hurricanes rather than more of them - a hurricane c ools off a lot of sea surface, so it take a while before you can have anoth er one.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to