Energy in a permanent magnet question

Suppose I have a permanent magnet and attract a nail a height h from the ground. If the nail has mass m then I have done mgh of work (potential energy) which must come from the field. If I then attract a second nail the magnetic attraction will be less since I have used energy when attracting the first one - which is still attached. If I keep doing this there is little energy left to lift anything more.

I then pull off the nails which requires energy from me. That energy must be released back into the field since I can then replicate the experiment. Is this right? So energy is stored in permanent magnets.

Reply to
HardySpicer

Here's how I would think about it.

There is energy in the magnetic field. The energy density is B^2/ (2*mu sub zero) (MKS units) If you integrate this over all space you get the total energy in the field. Sticking bits of iron in the field reduces the B field outside the pieces of iron and so the total energy of the system has decreased. So sure there is some energy in any magnet. (I trust this is *not* leading to some perpetual motion gizmo.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Magnets don't have anything to do with energy. They exert a force. The energy comes from whatever is moving/holding the magnet or the object.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

No, it's not right.

But you don't want to know anyway.

The energy stored in a magnet is called magnetization work. If you extract it, you will de-magnetize the magnet.

Google for:

Coercitivity Susceptibility Remanence Degaussing

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

They certainly store energy. It takes energy to magnetize one, and the nail experiment is one way to recover some of that energy.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

No, Mista.

If you pull out energy (regardless how), the magnet would de-magnetize.

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

No.

Reply to
Sam Wormley

Not really,

It took you an amount of energy to set up this scenario :

...When the nail jumps to the magnet, it's just paying you back what you've spent out

So, tell this experiment to Obama and explain to him that the "no free lunch in America" still works, and it's now biting him

Reply to
halong

Not really,

It took you an amount of energy to set up this scenario :

...When the nail jumps to the magnet, it's just paying you back what you've spent out

So, tell this experiment to Obama and explain to him that the "no free lunch in America" still works, and it's now biting him

Or better yet see if you can get some of that green energy funding from the dept of energy. Let us know if it works.

Reply to
tm

So, when the magnet lifts a nail, where did the energy come from? Do you believe in conservation of energy?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It does demagnetize -- the more nails you put on, the less magnetic field there is available to the outside world. Then, when you pull the nails off, you re-magnetize it.

And no, I don't mean "demagnetize" in the way that you were thinking -- and no, that's not my problem.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

If that where true a motor with permanent magnets would stop working very quickly.

A magnet exerts a force. A magnet can attract things but it takes the same amount of energy to remove those things so the nett output is 0.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Because you are kook who doesn't know what a friend is.

Reply to
Androcles

Right. The captured nails shunt the field locally, leaving less external field to lift future nails.

A thin coating of infinite-mu stuff would soak up all available external-to-magnet energy, and shield the magnet perfectly.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

.> >HardySpicer wrote:

I know from practical experience it takes energy to demagnetize them as well -- perhaps as much or more to randomize the domains as it took to align them.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

When an apple falls does the earth use up some of it's gravity?

Reply to
CWatters

That statement makes no sense. A motor gets its power from an external power source, not from the energy stored in the magnet.

There's energy stored in the lockwashers too, but it doesn't get used up.

So I guess you would argue that a spring exerts force but never stores energy. Then it follows that it takes no energy to compress a spring.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

From a pure COE perspective, one should extract energy from a magnet to demagnetize it. Lifting nails actually does that, some.

Hmmm, suppose you dissolve a magnet in acid. Where does the magnetization energy go? It must come out as heat... there's (almost!) nowhere else for it to go. That would make an interesting science project experiment.

Similarly, if you heated charged and uncharged magnets to the curie temperature, the charged magnet would require less heat. Maybe.

We need a good physical chemist to comment here.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yes. Each nail stuck to the magnet shunts some of the field, reducing external field, so there's less energy available to lift future nails.

A magnet can't yank up an infinite mass of nails.