Energy in a permanent magnet question

No. Since the apples all fell upwards (see above), no seeds ever made it to the ground to propogate the species.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

The model I use to think of a PM magnet is a shorted inductor i.e. electromagnet made with superconducting wire and a DC current flowing in the wire. Some work was done to start the current flow and that energy is stored in the current flow and of course creates a magnetic field. If the wire resistance is ==0, that can sit in steady state forever like a PM..

If you move a hunk of metal near the (electro) magnet, it changes the current flow because there is a change in the stored energy. Depending on which way the mechanical force is going you can add or remove current/energy. If you remove enough energy, the current will be zero.

While that model makes sense to me, I'm not sure however if it is correct :-)

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

photons.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Only way it "dies" is via hawking radiation AFAIK,

So that is where the energy goes.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

.highlandtechnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Round off, down to almost nothing.

Reply to
Robert Macy

.highlandtechnology.com=A0 jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

One quenched at my friend's development lab. He lost $3,000 worth of helium in a few seconds!

Reply to
Robert Macy

t.net ---

uh, vanishes, as in fades away, does not supply a lot of photons. Oh, right, it's a black hole so the photons can't escape.

Reply to
Robert Macy

can you bury magnetism in a shallow grave to make hundred year old magnetism.

i am REAAALLLLLY worried

Reply to
ala

producing

quantum

Some of

there

u.be/rk623noUevc

powered

He

he

Ohm's law

read

more

One AA in the LED display would be more than enough.

Reply to
josephkk

cing

me of

here

ut...

owered

he

's law

read

more

For the LED's but not for the motor though I expect it is slowing down anyway.

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

When a black hole dies it's by hawking radiation: photons.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

=A0Oh,

If the dieing flash represents ALL the energy inside the black hole, then that must be SOME flash, eh?

Reply to
Robert Macy

It doesn't come out all at once - the effective temperature is inversely proportional to the mass. And it can take a long time, a solar mass black hole lasts 2E67 years...

But yes there is a big flash at the end.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Hawking radiation isn't all photons. But it is (per current theory at least) how a black hole dies.

No one's gotten close enough to a black hole to prove out Hawking radiation one way or another, although if it doesn't exist it would require some rearrangement of quantum mechanics, relativistic physics, or both.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

"A Globe in Every Home"

spamtrap1888

ct

New Zealand, but does that make any real difference?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

,

I pictured a little hawker's stall: Photons for Sale: 5 Cents

Reply to
spamtrap1888

It must go down. The magnet did work pulling the object in. The energy stored in the magnet goes back up [1] when you pull the object off.

[1] some magnets will partially demagnetize if a keeper is not in place all the time.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

LOL!

Reply to
Robert Macy

How about a sideshow barker calling out "see black hole photons in person"?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk