do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH) - Page 3

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,5mH)

i can concur with that, i know a few Papered EE's that
should go back to school and pay more attention in class.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

Exactly so.  To call yourself without a degree a BsEE would be misleading.
Ditto for PE without a license.  But EE is a job title.

You can tell that Arny isn't very bright - he hasn't killfiled poop bear.

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

Not in many states.  Others here will state the specifics, but there are
many places where you cannopt call yourself an engineer without a PE.
Others you must either be an EE or a degreed engineer (BSXX).  SOme allow
one to be called an engineer if covered under a corporate umbrella.  To
state that "EE" is just a job title is quite misleading.

Ah, you are an idiot.  Pooh is one of the more interesting reads here.
Too bad *you* couldn't make the grade to "engineer", so feel you must
tear down those who have.

--
  Keith

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

"keith"

**  Pooh in in the UK  -   I am in Australia.

 The world is a bigger place than parochial dumb ,Yanks think.

 **  Like yourself  ?

**  Graham Stevenon is raving nut case.

..........  Phil

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

He can be. He's pissed with me because I think that digital
consoles are good for live sound, and he didn't at the time.

If irony killed.

Graham can be a bit pissy at time, but he is generally
civil. He makes very few factual errors, and has a wide
range of audio knowlege.

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

"Arny Krueger"

**  It only their monumental lack of understanding rendered fools silent.

**  If ever that comprehensive,  posturing,  fucking Yank asshole called
Arny Kreuger arrives at a position from which to pass such a judgement    -
it will be me that lets him know.

.........   Phil

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,5mH)

IME a degree proves one thing only: that the person has met at least the
minimum requirement to get that piece of paper.

Many of the techs I have worked with have gone on to get engineering
degrees - not because they were unskilled, mostly because they needed
the paper to get the $$. It is also true to say that they didnt have the
maths necessary for serious design work, but made up for it with
extremely good lab skills.

IMO a large chunk of those graduating as EEs are useful for little more
than viscous damping. I reckon engineers are born, not taught.

Cheers
Terry

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

You mean that their main contribution will be adding viscosity to the design
process?

That'll make for a nice update to the Peter's principle:
In an organization each person rises to the level where the viscosity he/she
adds is maximum.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

I read in sci.electronics.design that Fred Bartoli
high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)', on Wed, 31 Aug
2005:

Doesn't work; the viscosity would make them rise slowly, but they often
rise very quickly. However, once in position, they greatly increase
service tension.(;-)
Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,5mH)

ROTFLMAO!

Cheers
Terry

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

about 'do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,
5mH)', on Sat, 27 Aug 2005:

That isn't a safe deduction, for two reasons. Current ratings for power
cable may be based on voltage-drop rather than heating, and if based on
heating, the ratings vary with the environment of the cable. That's one
reason; the other is that in a solenoid winding, adjacent turns obstruct
each other's ventilation, and an insulating former obstructs it further.
So current ratings for windings may be a lot lower than for cables rated
by heating effect.

When I designed small power transformers, I used 2300 A/square inch (3.6
A/mm^2) of wire cross-section. I believe higher values can be used now,
with improved insulations, but bear in mind that the winding may run at
80 Celsius or more as a result. For 14 AWG, my Radio Designer's Handbook
(Classic Edition, reprinted 1998) gives an area of 0.003225 in^2, thus a
current rating at 2300 A/in^2 of 7.4 A. For one layer on a toroid, 10 A
looks possible, but a bit near the edge.
Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

Points well taken. The high DCR was a big tip-off that I
missed.

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

Ohhhh... You mean you suddenly noticed ?

Graham

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

Graham as I said already once,  I noticed it when you
pointed it out!

Not getting your daily minimum requirement of blood or what?
;-)

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,5mH)

Be nice.

Cheers
Terry

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

"Arny Krueger"

** As I thought   -   you were bullshitting again  !!!!!

With 1.2 ohms cold resistance that inductor will **  CATCH  ON  FIRE  **  at
10 amps continuous current !!!

** Bizarre nonsense  -   heat energy cannot get away in a tightly wound
coil.

** That it will be -  but of no value in a power supply inductor.  Inductors
for loudspeakers x-overs are low efficiency designs ( to get linearity)
compared to purpose built ones for PSU usage.

Only inductors with carefully gapped cores are efficient in their use of
iron and copper.

...........   Phil

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

I read in sci.electronics.design that Phil Allison
'do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)',
on Sun, 28 Aug 2005:

Is a gap necessary if there is no DC component in the applied current?
Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

"John Woodgate"

  **  Go bait someone else  - John.

..........  Phil

Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

I read in sci.electronics.design that Phil Allison
'do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)',
on Sun, 28 Aug 2005:
It is a serious question. I won't bait you; it doesn't pay. Besides, you
made two jokes recently, so I thought you might be a bit less prickly
now.
Re: do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

"John Woodgate"

  **  No it was not.

     Piss off.

Site Timeline