do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)

Yes, because it quotes you.

Whatever that means.

Come on Graham we both know that the OP figured out that his requirement overstated the need by a factor of a thousand.

ASe you running a surplus of bile to work off, or what?

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Electronic design, which does not necessarily require an EE.

For example, a friend of mine who is both an EE and earns his living doing circuit design tells me that virtually none of the chief engineers of high end audio firms that he's made the acquaintance of (and that would be goodly number) has anything like the credentials of an EE.

Reply to
Arny Krueger

Graham as I said already once, I noticed it when you pointed it out!

Not getting your daily minimum requirement of blood or what? ;-)

Reply to
Arny Krueger

?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1032,C1092,P1733,D2172),

In which case pls try and find a compact lightweight ferrite core that doesn't saturate at 10A for your design inductance !

You might find Epcos's Ferrite Magnetic Designer useful.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Arny ! SHUT UP !

It's 1.2 Ohms. That's 120W of dissipation ( before it gets hot ) !

Pls go back to discussing soundcards - you're not an EE.

You *have* to use magnetic materials for this kind of thing. Air cored is no good.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I read in sci.electronics.design that Arny Krueger wrote (in ) about 'do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A,

5mH)', on Sat, 27 Aug 2005:

That isn't a safe deduction, for two reasons. Current ratings for power cable may be based on voltage-drop rather than heating, and if based on heating, the ratings vary with the environment of the cable. That's one reason; the other is that in a solenoid winding, adjacent turns obstruct each other's ventilation, and an insulating former obstructs it further. So current ratings for windings may be a lot lower than for cables rated by heating effect.

When I designed small power transformers, I used 2300 A/square inch (3.6 A/mm^2) of wire cross-section. I believe higher values can be used now, with improved insulations, but bear in mind that the winding may run at

80 Celsius or more as a result. For 14 AWG, my Radio Designer's Handbook (Classic Edition, reprinted 1998) gives an area of 0.003225 in^2, thus a current rating at 2300 A/in^2 of 7.4 A. For one layer on a toroid, 10 A looks possible, but a bit near the edge.
John Woodgate

That's a particularly stupid comment.

I doubt you could find an air cored inducutor that fulfilled the requirement without it being 'obese' by normal standards.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

How do you think I earn my living ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Ohhhh... You mean you suddenly noticed ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Arny Krueger"

** Care to nominate any inductor from those URLs that comes nears a 10mH and 10 amp continuous spec ??

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Pooh Bear" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1032,C

1092,P1733,D2172),

doesn't saturate at 10A for your design inductance !

Hello Michael,

Here are some inductors with 10A and more.

Choose the WE-HCA type. They have 10A and more current capability depending on the inductance.

Best regards, Helmut

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

Don't know if you're still searching but Sumida returns some hit for ~4µH at >10H. Here is one of them :

Though you say you must avoid "powdered iron cores" in another post and I have no idea what type that one is.

Sylvain

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

I read in sci.electronics.design that Phil Allison wrote (in ) about 'do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)', on Sun, 28 Aug 2005:

Is a gap necessary if there is no DC component in the applied current?

John Woodgate

Heh heh. Well what do you know. I never heard of that before ;-)

Thanks.

--
_____________________
Christopher R. Carlen

I read in sci.electronics.design that Phil Allison wrote (in ) about 'do high current, high inductance inductors even exist (say 5A, 5mH)', on Sun, 28 Aug 2005:

It is a serious question. I won't bait you; it doesn't pay. Besides, you made two jokes recently, so I thought you might be a bit less prickly now.

John Woodgate

i can concur with that, i know a few Papered EE's that should go back to school and pay more attention in class.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

"Arny Krueger"

** As I thought - you were bullshitting again !!!!!

With 1.2 ohms cold resistance that inductor will ** CATCH ON FIRE ** at

10 amps continuous current !!!

** Bizarre nonsense - heat energy cannot get away in a tightly wound coil.
** That it will be - but of no value in a power supply inductor. Inductors for loudspeakers x-overs are low efficiency designs ( to get linearity) compared to purpose built ones for PSU usage.

Only inductors with carefully gapped cores are efficient in their use of iron and copper.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Arny Krueger"

** You are all confused Arny - as usual.

The abbreviation " EE " describes either an "Electrical Engineering" degree ( aka a BE ) OR a person who works as an electrical/electronic engineer. To work as and be called an " EE " in electronics does not require one to hold a BE degree.

In any case, one either knows or has a good understanding of some technical matter - or one does not.

Worthless scraps of paper have no relevance.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
** This struck me as funny: