Design Battery Charger using H-bridge Mosfet concept

Hi,

Am planing to design a battery charger using H bridge mosfet configuration .

Battery spec as follows:

Battery voltage ---24V Battery capacity -- 45Ah

So the charging current should be 10% of battery capacity. am i correct??

So the charging current is 5A.

Am having some querys. What are the mosfets hve to be used?? Is it 2 N-channel & 2 P channel mosfets??

How to controll the current if the battery is getting charged??(I mean how to reduce the current)

As we know mosfet is voltage controlled devices,but how they are controlling current here??

How mosfets actually works in positive and negative cycles of AC??

Kindly support me ,am new to this design. Do you have any reference designs??

samson.bunty1986

What's the battery technology? What is the vendor's charging recommendation? What other design requirements have you not yet disclosed?

If it's lead acid, why not just get a golf-cart charger? You can't possibly build one (with unit pricing at retail) for less cost...given your level of experience.

Reply to
mike

Why use H bridge when a single mosfet with PWM will do the job ?

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

What powers your battery charger?

Almost certainly not, but maybe. What battery type?

It can be two of each, or four N-channels. If you're charging from a direct-current source then you only need two MOSFETs.

You really, really, don't know enough to even start designing this. Normally you'd build a switching supply. You'd monitor the battery current and voltage, and control the charging current and/or voltage by modulating the duty cycle of the switching.

That depends on what you're doing. In a switching supply they are being rapidly turned on and off. The duration they're on vs. the total cycle time (the "duty cycle"), the supply voltage, and the load voltage all determine current.

In general they don't. If you're building an off-line switcher you generally rectify the incoming AC to DC, then use the resulting DC to power your electronics.

From the sounds of things you really need to learn more about electronics before you start trying to figure out a reference design.

The 2008 ARRL Handbook has a project for a 13.8V off-line switcher; many of the principles are the same as for your battery charger (in fact, there's a good chance that with the proper control electronics that circuit could be used to charge 12V lead-acid batteries).

I would suggest that you get onto the various semiconductor web sites and look for applications notes. "Off line power supply", "switching power supply" and "power factor correction" are all search terms that may get you useful applications notes.

If it's lead acid and you do build the charger, then you can't just go constant current -- you need to do a constant current charge up to a specific voltage (the nominal value of which escapes me at the moment, it varies with temperature, and I'm not sure that it doesn't vary by specific battery type).

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Charging a battery from a full-H bridge makes about as much sense as using a full-H bridge for motor _speed_ control, when it only should be used to change direction >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Really?

I can think of a scenario..

Polarity auto sense and the ability to perform load testing between the charge pulse to test the life of the cell/battery.

Btw, we have a charger at work that does that very thing, it has a H bridge circuit. you can plop the battery on the holder any way you wish, it auto senses polarity and knows which side of the bridge to charge it on and uses the opposite side as a pulsed load test as it is being charged.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

So, it's fool proof because you only have fools to use it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey! I resemble that remark!

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Or controlled braking.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Yep. ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Guess no one has never heard of auto sensing polarity chargers and load testing.

We have a charger at work that uses an H bridge, you can connect the battery any way you wish, as long as it has at least .5 volt or more, anything less, it assumes nothing connected and does not make an attempt to select a polarity and turn on.

during a low state battery, the unit switches the bridge for a load test to determine if the battery is accumulating useful energy, if not, it'll give up and flash a bad battery LED>

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie