MOSFET H-bridge driver suggestion

I'm designing a motor drive circuit: microprocessor PWM -> driver -> MOSFET -> DC motor. It's going to see very light duty -- no more than

4A DC to a little motor -- but it seems to be just above the threshold for monolithic H-bridge amplifiers.

Between what DigiKey has available and what seems good I'm circling around the HIP4082. It drives four MOSFETS in an H-bridge directly, it looks (somewhat) price-effective, it's good to 200kHz, and it doesn't look like it'll contribute too many screwy behaviors to the mix. (I had been contemplating the MC33883, but DigiKey has suddenly dropped it -- boy I love that).

Anyone have any other favorite parts? I'd prefer a single chip solution, but a part that'll drive a half-bridge would work as long as two of them cost as much or less than an HIP4082 (from DigiKey, at least, the IR2110 is too spendy).

If you wish to critique my approach but don't feel you have enough ammunition, here's a (rough) schematic:

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Digikey has these in stock but as usual that costs more than a discrete solution. Which is why I always go discrete 8-D

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I had contemplated using that, actually. But to get good current feedback you need a sense resistor on each leg of the H-bridge, which that part doesn't provide. If it did I wouldn't be mucking around with a separate driver.

I considered building it up from discretes, but I'll be having it assembled locally in small lots, and I expect that any savings from going to discretes will be washed out in paying to have them placed and debugging assembly issues.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Well, you could try to sense it at V+. It has an internal regulator for the control section so maybe it's kosher to do that. However, for a production run you'd have to have that vetted by the manufacturer. I don't know how responsive Freescale's app engineering is. With some companies such as TI that has deteriorated lately, big time.

I wish they'd pipe out regulator outputs on bridges but they usually don't.

Yep, domestic assembly will require a very different design philosophy. It's almost my first question to new clients.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

schematic:

how about MC33887?, 5A/28V digikey has some. you should be able to find similar from others it is right in the range for automotive drive-by-wire trottle motors

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt