containment failure

Cool pics.

Good thing it wasn't in San Francisco, the fire department would have run down and killed dozens of fleeing passengers to get at a blaze of that magnitude.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's silly. In the Asiana crash, passengers were flung all over the landscape. One was assumed dead, got covered in foam, and a fire truck ran over her. She may have been dead. I don't think a badly injured person would do well, covered in foam.

The idiot pilot killed the people, by landing on plainly visible rocks and ripping the guts out of the plane.

Yikes. You aren't supposed to get uncontained failure like that, even with a bird strike at full power. Most of the time the broken blades just chew up the inside of the engine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:00:11 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

The very first photo appears to me to show all of the turbo fan blades intact. I doubt the 'bird strike' theory for the failure mode.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes, it may have caught fire first, then the back half of the turbine let go. The containment isn't as strong back there since the blades are much smaller.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's usually the big fan that comes apart. The fan casing is wrapped with a thick beautiful band of epoxy-kevlar that's supposed to catch the blades. Maybe this engine failed further back.

These engines are super-stressed. Fuel efficiency and weight goals push everything hard.

You can see the skin of the fuselage is blown outward and not inward. It was a small bomb in the cargo hold near the engine.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The passengers were alive and well immediately after the crash. Diminutive Asians just don't register on the visual radar of racist San Francisco fire fighters, it's like they're not even there, and that's how they got run over.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

There was a Qantas / rolls royce engine failure a year or two ago. Bits of the engine severed all sorts of flight controls but not a word about containment failure. Hum, maybe they are just turning a blind eye in advance of dropping the requirement

Reply to
David Eather

Alive and well? After being flung out of their seats onto the runway? Well, some were flung *with* their seats.

We have lots of Asian firefighters here; San Francisco is 21% Asian, the most of any big city in the USA. We have a Chinese mayor; we can see his house from our kitchen table. [1]

Not many people, even fat white guys like you, register when they are lying flat covered in foam.

[1] the address of his house does not exist on Google Maps or Zillow or anything. He even changed the numbers on the front of the house. It's unimpressive, the dinkiest house on the block. I think he drives a Honda Fit.

Engine failure.

They were flattened by the fire truck, before that they were just dazed and walking around the aircraft unsupervised. Any other story you've heard is city political lies. None of the passengers were thrown from the aircraft.

LA has almost quarter million more Asians than SF...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Den fredag den 11. september 2015 kl. 00.32.33 UTC+2 skrev David Eather:

There's alway a limit to how much energy you can contain, in the Qantas rolls royce incident a problem with the fuel cause the engine to run at such extreme speeds that the energy released when it failed was just too great.

they test that engines will contain something like a blade falling off.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Well, then everyone is lying except you.

Two 16-year-old girls with Chinese passports were found dead outside the aircraft soon after the crash, having been thrown out of the aircraft during the accident.[40][41][42][43][44] One was accidentally run over by an airport crash tender after being covered in fire-fighting foam.[45][40] On July 19, 2013, the San Mateo County Coroner's office confirmed that the girl was still alive prior to being run over by a rescue vehicle, and was killed due to blunt force trauma.[46][47] On January 28, 2014, the San Francisco city attorney's office announced their conclusion that the girl was already dead when she was run over.[48][49]

Four flight attendants seated at the rear were ejected from the aircraft when the tail section broke off, and they survived

SF is biggest by percentage, and numerically has more Chinese than LA.

You seem to be just another nym of Always Wrong.

You're not making any sense, San Mateo coroners says she was killed by the fire truck.

You're wrong on that one:

And it makes no sense to split hairs over metro areas versus strict city limits. Honolulu has the largest percentage ( more than 2x SF) but you're so racist you don't even recognize Hawaii.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I don't see many signs of fuselage being blown outward. I see a few larger pieces of panels hanging outward, likely loosened by the blast to come off after the fact rather than by a bomb on the inside. I do clearly see engine pieces hanging, blown outward which is very unlikely if the blast had been elsewhere.

Notice the scorching is in a vertical pattern which is unlikely if it had been from a bomb in the fuselage.

To distinguish the two possibilities would require a much more detailed analysis of the wreckage than can be done from these pictures.

--

Rick
Reply to

Bits of turbine debris were found outside the engine. It sounds like the motor done blew up.

Sometimes shit really does just happen.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services