clee phone AVC

'fraid it's 100% plausible.

I've had my current Moto smartphone for about 2 years, it's probably not indestructible but whatever Corning does with their "Gorilla Glass" touchscreen display material is pretty remarkable. It's had a rough life, been bumped around in bags and pockets and tossed in car cubbies and fumbled on the pavement many times. it's got a small hairline crack at the edge and one light scratch in the center after 2 years of that and still looks near mint.

Cost $50 new, something like a dual core 1 GHz processor. A remarkable value from the perspective of even 7 years ago

Reply to
bitrex

I have to set my cellphone to do precisely that on all conversations :(

But I'm deaf, and a speakerphone also helps have phone conversations that include all people in the room

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It is not that uncommon to hear both sides of a conversation in restaurants when the clueless have their cell phone volume turned up too high - or perhaps they are hard of hearing...

Surely you must have experienced that.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

That's the MSM story, and what was said in the hearing. As theD said, phones don't work that way.

Voice signals used to be companded into an 8-bit code. That limited the volume. Nowadays I think there is more complex compression, but there is still not much dynamic range to burn.

In the days of true analog phones, maybe 50 or so years ago, the transducers and the channel were truly linear, so screaming made the receive end sound

He was grandstanding. Listen everybody, I'm talking with the President!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

t?

ted:

Gorilla Glass has been dunked in a potassium salt bath so some of the sodiu m ions near the surface are replaced with larger potassium ions. This crea tes pressure making the surface much stronger. In essence the atoms are sq ueezed in tightly so pulling them out is much harder.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Well my phone is available for public testing Good old Nokia 1110i:

It is so loud, it can speak time, I was waiting at a bus-stop, women asked me 'do you know what time it is', Took the phone, pressed the time button, and it spoke loud and clear the time, in the traffic you could even hear it across the street.

I did not see your phone there being run over, Mine is cheaper than yours and has been working for 10 years or so. I have more advanced thing like HTC android that I have taken the battery out and stored, all too big and voice and SMS is all I need, For anything more complicated I have laptops.

Mr DT (not DDT) could have send a SMS if he wanted to be confidential, I see hid behavior as treason, puts his own interest in his function above that of his country. Careless, thinks he is above the law, the law YOU a while back stated was the ultimate thing you have to obey,

So it seems to be your opinion is also driven by maybe financial interests, maybe you want to sell your stuff to that clueless mr DT, well in that way you help the destruction of your country.

A clueless lying leader is nothing new:

Jan Panteltje

,

time,

out and stored,

Your cell phone days are limited then. The older cell phones work on an ol der standard. As they bring in newer standards they phase out older ones. I recently was helping a friend renew his phone subscription and found the y would not. His phone was 2G and they have stopped providing that service .

Not sure how much longer 3G will be around. Certainly it's not required to use any currently sold products.

Heck, I just looked it up and your Nokia is 2G and would not be working in the US.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

One of the things in a capitalist system like the US is, is to make new standards frequently so people have to keep buying.

Here that is maybe a bit to lesser extend, but basically the same. The latest thing is not always better over in the US:

5G will come here too, they are busy with that, if they will stop then with 3G etc I dunno.

We just upgraded to DVB-T2, had to buy a new receiver...

HoW aBoUT mOviNG tO 330 V 70 hZ? LOL

THAT will sell!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

is',

time,

ery

older

hey

e.

in the

You can make up anything in your head you wish. The reality is they droppe d 1G a long time ago because it has significant operational problems such a s a total lack of security (anyone with a receiver that could tune to those frequencies could listen to your analog calls) and was very easy to clone a phone since the ESN and IMEI were broadcast in the clear.

G2 was dropped because it was wasteful of band width and usage had dropped very low so there was very little need for it.

It is funny that dropping two cell phone standards in as many decades is "f requent" to you. You are one of those people who run ideas through your in ternal filter rather than a fact based filter. You need to have your filte r realigned. It has gotten pretty far out of tuning. Maybe a newer, digit al filter would do the job better?

th 3G etc I dunno.

5G will be a slow rollout and may well never cover anywhere except in the h eart of the cities. For all practical purposes it is the cabled network wi th the final span in the air, a rather short span. No need for it in most areas.

In the EU I believe they have phones that work as cell phones away from hom e, but at home work from a transceiver on the "pole" outside your home like a mobile house phone with no cellular charges. Maybe this has been droppe d since, at least in the US, with higher data rates in the network they no longer charge for phone calls or text messages, only data.

How long did you have the previous standard? Longer than most people drive a car?

Get out in front and lead!

--

  Rick C.

  ++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

How do you know? Were you across the street?

For a call phone to make an audible time announceement across the street in traffic, the SPL at the small speaker would be way beyond dangerous. Probably beyond impossible.

I take a reasonable salary, for an engineer. Every year, I give away well over 10x my own salary to employees, as bonuses and IRA. I could keep all that. I also give away to charities an amount that's about half my salary. I could keep that too.

What do I need money for? Mostly I design and ski.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Right. Dial phones at home and coin-operated phone booths outside were all anybody wanted. Normal people didn't know what a modem was, so they didn't want one.

Nobody minded waiting 20 minutes to set up a "long distance" call. Or they could just dictate a letter to their secretary to type.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

1G and 2G were/are used primarily for voice communication, so the required bandwidth is quite small, so a lot of users could be handled at frequencies below 1 GHz. 1G and 2G competed for the same frequencies, so when 1G popularity was reduced, those frequencies were taken over by 2G. 3G/4G/5G are mainly used for data communication requiring larger bandwidths that are available only in upper-UHF and SHF. To get data rates claimed for 5G, frequencies above 24 GHz (millimeter waves) are required. Which 5G systems use these frequencies today ?

The frequencies below 1 GHz are more or less useless for any high throughput systems, so there is not much need to run down 2G. Of course, if the number of 2G phone users drops, there is a reason to close the 2G service,

These days, what is the point with terrestrial DVB-T/T2 services ? The cell sizes in 5G are quite small, so why not deliver only those TV-programs that someone is actually watching in a specific area ?

Why not DC, say at 1000 Vdc ?

Indeed,

Reply to
upsidedown

5G has the potential to replace phone lines, cable TV, internet pairs and fibers, satellite dishes, fire/security system hardlines, everything. Without wires.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Except the cables to the many, many, many cell towers on nearly every block.

We already have high speed wireless and the cables that bring it to your home. Why bother with installing millions of new cell towers just so we can rip out cables we are presently using?

I don't need to watch video while I'm driving and I often don't want to see the videos that play on my phone while I'm scrolling through the news.

Then there is the small problem of needing to update your flip phone to take advantage of the higher data rates. Are you going to ask your carrier for a 5G flip phone that can be run over by a truck and show videos on a 1.5 inch screen?

--

  Rick C.

  --- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

It is making something very simple (broadcast of Gov's TV stations) very complicated. There are now more channels in DVB_T2 bandwidth due to the more efficient modulation, but most are pay channels, I do not use those. The 3 gov channels are FTA These are FTA here; There is one transmitter tower a few miles away, and it covers most of this area. NL1 ch 46 ~627 MHz (would have to look it up) NL2 ch 21 474 MHz NL3 ch 33 570 MHz Omrop Fr ch 40 626 MHz Local news

To do this via 5G giggle-hertz would require a transmitter on every corner, and give bad indoor reception. I am on 4G now from my laptop, via a Raspberry Pi as router with a Huawei 4G stick. I do not see the point of 5G. Things are fast enough...

I do have a movable satellite dish, and there are hundreds of FTA movie channels, most countries are FTA on the satellite. Next movie recording scheduled in half an hour..

Everything: Germany, UK, Middle East, China, even CNN.... no need for 5G. kingofsat.net Pick your satellite east to west from the top icons. Thousands of TV and radio channels, even internet - I can see what others download. When the SpaceX multisats get operative who knows were it goes?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No way.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not much has changed then ;-) And now they have to fiddle with touching icons on a glass-sheet to type a text.... It never seems to work for my fingers...

Back then I gave my pencil writing to the secretary and apart from her complaining about my spelling of 'frequency' one time, that was OK.

I was writing English documentation for a satellite telecom system, Dutch to English at that time for a very large company here.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'd scrawl manuals. A secretary would type a draft. I'd mark it up and she'd do it again. Maybe again again.

If I suggested we insert a paragraph, she'd usually try to kill me.

When the IBM PC was introduced, it was accepted that secretaries would use it. "Nobody will ever get a businessman to type."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why not? One universal superfast microcell network could replace a giant, expensive mess of wires and cables and fiber and cell towers.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

1951 first regular BW transmissions 625 lines interlaced. 1968 PALcolor 625 lines interlaced 4.43 MHz color subcarrier. delta 17 years, but compatibility with BW remained. 1998 DVB-T delta 30 years, throw old receiver away, no compatibility. 2019 DVB-T2 delta 21 years, throw old receiver away, no compatibility. Do you see a trend?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje