OT Puzzle if you have time

1+2=21 2+3=36 3+4=43 4+5 =?
Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

52

Left digit is 5, the next number in sequence Right digit is (3 + (4 + 5)) mod 10 = 2

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

Nope ?, not 54

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Not 52 either ?

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

It's a(n) = n^2 if n is even, a(n) = n^2 - n + 1 if n is odd if you map

3, 5, 7, 9.. into 5, 6, 7, 8... somehow but how and if that's connected isn't quite clear to me, my guess is 64, though.
Reply to
bitrex

58?

Reverse the numbers, then add 4 if the result is even?

Reply to
DemonicTubes

it's clearly not linear and all quadratic fits give

42

one such fit is -(a+b)^2-15.5(a+b)-16.5

but seriously it's uderconstrained, as the two variables seem confounded in the samples.

Jasen Betts

Algebra doesn't help because if the first two numbers are coefficients of x and y then the three equations contradict.

How about

x^2=2^x

Then x=2 obviously, but proving it is another matter.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

onsdag den 20. november 2019 kl. 19.14.24 UTC+1 skrev Klaus Kragelund:

It is staring you in the face :-) . . . The first 3 equations was simply wrong, 4+5 is 9 :-)

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

All such "find the next one in the sequence" problems are unconstrained. With a little imagination a very large numbers of "solutions" can be found.

Even as a kid, it irked me that such sequences in IQ tests had one "true" answer.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

that's dumb.

Reply to
bitrex

55
Reply to
boB

Not necessarily.

Douglas Adams' Deep Thought was right: - the answer to the ultimate question is "42" - the ultimate question to which that is the answer is, quite correctly, "what is 6*9?"

Base 13, of course.

A more interesting question to Kraus' original puzzler is "are there infinite or uncountable answers to that question?".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

However it could also be interpreted so that the next in sequence is

400 or 160000

Two interleaved series with even lines:

2+3 interpreted as (2*3)^2

So 4+5 could be either (4*5)^2 or (4*5)^4

It gets funny on multiple choice IQ tests when two or more of the 5 answers are valid and you have to guess which one the examiner thinks is the right one. I had a friend at university (brilliant but no common sense) who aimed to always choose the wrong one just to make a point.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Ever seen the multiple choice section on a bar exam? Three good answers and one correct answer

Reply to
bitrex

No less dumb than abusing the addition symbol, or equality symbol, to mean whatever operation is intended by the "puzzle". ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

So it's a math joke.

Reply to
John S

Well said. Psychopaths typically proclaim "You have no one but yourself to blame." when they try to rationalize their own bad behavior. This puzzle's the relatively rare case where you indeed have no one but yourself to blame for willfully abusing math symbols.

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day In a relative way And returned on the previous night.
Reply to
Don Kuenz

It's a good interview question. It lets you know as an interviewee it's OK to just get up and leave and not worry at all about whether you lost out on anything.

Reply to
bitrex

It's a very clever-boomer question, like when your cranky granpa "proves" his intellectual superiority to the ignorant kids these days by asking what the capital of Djibouti is then smugly pronouncing "it's Djibouti! the capital of Djibouti, is Djibouti."

/chuckles ahhhh clever boomer. If only being clever provided low-cost, reliable, and empathetic senior-citizen healthcare services...

Reply to
bitrex