A SOT-89 with emitter in the middle

This is what I don't get. People who use strange, obscure, and arcane parts like PNP transistors are not all that price-sensitive. If it's not profitable at $0.99/1000, fine. Raise the price until it *is* profitable. Hell, charge $10 each for them. Customers might grumble but they'll deal with it. Yet the manufacturers are consistently choosing to pull the plug at the first sign of a market slowdown.

Seems the bean counters are desperate to sell off the fabs for some reason. It probably has to do with labor costs and the fact that the market for these parts has essentially zero room for growth.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

It costs money just to have a part in the lineup. If it's not making money, it goes.

When the product mix moves to a higher productivity fab, older fabs become unprofitable. Widgets that can't be moved, or are marginally profitable to begin with, get orphaned. This isn't anything new.

Reply to
krw

We got most of them!

That die can't be very big. They could fab a box full of wafers, stash them somwhere, raise the price, and make everybody happy.

EOL policies certainly steer our choice of vendors.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Or you can do what you've done, buy enough to keep you in business for the next decade or two. You want them to take a risk they have no interest in taking.

That's certainly the smart way to run a business but it's not like they're discontinuing a part with no warning.

Reply to
krw

I think they should care about customer relations rather than quarterly profit.

It *does* matter if engineers specify their parts. But the effect of our design-in decisions takes more than one quarter to show up.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sure customer relations matter but only to the extent it generates profit. That's why they're in business.

The effects of our design-ins don't show up for two or three years. It's not unusual for a rep to no longer have a line when the parts finally go to production. The pay-off can be rather large, though.

Reply to
krw

Of course it is! The 'warning' is one message in a mailbox, among thousands. Neglecting the customers' needs but giving a warning is almost exactly the same as neglecting the customer's needs.

Wnen you need a transistor, you do NOT want a warning instead.

Wasn't there an electronic distributor that noticed the profit margin on resistors was just very small, so they dropped 'em from the catalog? Can't remember the name, they're out of business now.

Reply to
whit3rd

Exactly what do you want them to do? Fly an airplane towing banners over his business? Put multi-page ads in the NYT? Send a dossier to the FBI?

So you're saying that once a manufacturer makes something, that obligates them to make that widget forever? You're nuts!

Perfect material for an urban legend. "Did you hear the one about..."

Reply to
krw

NXP is not obligated to keep making BFQ149's, and I am not obligated to use any more NXP parts.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No more than I have to either. Some are already designed in though.

boB

Reply to
boB

No, but pretty soon you're going to run out of suppliers. NXP is better than most.

Reply to
krw

--- was ----

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Maybe. We'll see but my point stands.

Reply to
krw

Am 22.12.2017 um 17:56 schrieb John Larkin:

But it seems that the BF862 lives on. No more from NXP, but from Nexperia now.

<

cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

No such luck.

Fortunately there's the CPH3910, which is a near drop-in replacement.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Am 09.01.2018 um 17:12 schrieb Phil Hobbs:

<

They claim to have 1940 pcs. of Nexperia BF862 , a minute ago?

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

A search for "BF862" at nexperia.com comes up with nada.

Cheers