How does a telephone handset work?

I want to rig up my computer to be a tty/tdd set for the hearing impaired. I found this software.

I'm trying to avoid building the circuit.

I was thinking of using of these instead.

These things are designed to connect handsets to the sound card, but I want to connect the sound card to the handset connector on the phone. Does that work? How does the handset communicate with phone?

Reply to
Wanderer

Thank you,

--
Don Kuenz, KB7RPU
Reply to

If you want to be legal, don't. use a voice-capable modem with apropriate sound drivers. Or use accoustic coupling, tape a speaker to phone's microphone and an microphone to the phone's speaker.

If you don't think you'll get caught. use isolating transformers in place of the speaker and microphone of the receiver and connect them to line-in and line-out on the sound card, you may need to add resistors to reduce the volume levels.

Jasen Betts

That's what I'm going to try to do. I going to just build a cradle for the handset and go the microphone connected to the speaker route.

I can't believe these overpriced TTY/TDD devices. They look like 1970's teletype machines with an old fashion modem and a calculator display. I want a card I can plug into my computer.

Reply to
Wanderer

Is there a reason why you don't just connect a standard modem to your computer? My understanding is they often support both voice and data operations. Why do you need to reinvent the wheel? I just saw a 56 kbps modem on ebay for $30 plus shipping. Plug it into the wall, plug it into your computer and you are good to go, no?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

I've asked the same question but I can't find any tty/tdd software to work over a voice modem and I don't understand why.

Reply to
Wanderer

That seems crazy. Maybe they don't realize it doesn't need to be different? It has been a long time since I've worked with modems, but the audio interface should work the same as a sound card under windows. It should appear as an audio device. Obviously there has to be some difference so you can take the phone off hook. I remember when the win modems came out they weren't much more than a sound chip and the telephone DAA.

Maybe someone here knows if a built in modem has an interface compatible with a sound card?