iPad screen - bar in middle - anyone found a fix?

Has anyone here taken apart an iPad (original - cellular) screen to repair the problem of a fat (1" wide) band fully across the middle of the screen? The band runs horizontally in the normal (narrow side horizontal, button down) position.

I have extracted the screen from the iPad, but am a little reluctant to continue tearing it down to find the potential connection issue without knowing what I am facing. Can't find anything so far on line for servicing the actual LCD display.

I plan on digging into it in the near future but hope that someone here has done so already and can provide some advice.

Thanks!

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

What makes you think it's a connection issue? More likely a problem with a driver chip, and the panel is toast.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Other than the plug that mates the display to the board, there are no other serviceable connections. Try a little contact cleaner in the socket or clean the ribbon (if that's what it uses).

Any other connection on the screen proper is going to be of the bonded variety and not serviceable.

Reply to
ohger1s

I wasn't sure if it was a connection issue or not, but it does flicker. Indeed it could well be a driver chip that is built into the screen and I imagine that is irrepairable. I just haven't poked inside one of these displays before and it is for one of my grand-daughters.

It appears I have nothing to loose by trying to open the screen up further so wish me luck!

I have tried reseating the connector to the motherboard so have eliminated that as a suspect.

If I have any success I will report back - silence means the screen is toasted and I won't waste anyone's reading time further.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

John-

Back up the old iPad. Purchase a working identical iPad, and restore from the backup.

Your Grand-Daughters will think you are a genius!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

If I wasn't so cheap...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

The LCDs may be available cheap on eBay. ;-) Looks like about $30. Perhaps that's not cheap enough though.....

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

subject line.  Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

Those are for minis, not 1st gen. iPads.

John ;-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Didn't you get the memo ? You are required to pull out that credit card and buy a new phone at their whim. That is all there is to it. They can also disable your software whenever they fell like it.

If you want the service, they own you.

Reply to
jurb6006

Perhaps eBay: 322381337888 .