Subject Author Posted Replies

hot schmitt trigger action
It takes a -300mV P2P sine wave with a 2V supply and turns it into a squared-up pulse train. The quiescent voltage at the base of switching transistor Q2 seems to be pretty stable with temperature...
3
3

Way OT: "Press your thumbs" ~= "Keep your fingers crossed"
Heard the former used for the first time, today. Quickly surmised (from context) it to be roughly equivalent to the latter. But, what is the actual physical motion involved (in the former)? I.e., are...
12
12

OT: in spades, Father Xmas on motorcycles.
My wife and I were coming home through Kings Cross in Sydney this evening ( around 10:00pm local time) when our attention was drawn to a stream of moto r-cyclists going past, all dressed as Father...

OT: GM Layoffs
Unfortunate Christmas present: Chevy Volt is meeting sales expectations at 2k+/mo. Sales of Impala, Lacrosse, Cadillac ATS/CTS, Camaro and Corvette are in the dumper. The Impala seems to be the least...
74
74

Newsgroups for Android TV boxes?
Folks, Is there a somewhat alive newsgroup (preferably not a web-based one) for Android TV boxes? I just got one and many "apps" are very recalcitrant. For example, Skype blitzes off every time I sign...
14
14

FedEx Invoicing
I like to do things on my computer as much as possible. FedEx started charging a pickup fee that can't be referred to the recipient even when they are paying for shipping. I noticed invoices arriving...
74
74

Zilog z80 replacement on a MSX computer
i got a shipment of 2 zilog z80 cpu's fresh from the factory. So, I was thinking to replace the old one that is on 2.5mhz with a 20mhz pne I just got on this old computer. Will it work?Some people...
11
11

How Bad Does It Have to Get Before the Morons React?
This is all blowing into California eventually... The Chinese capital has seen hazardous smog for four days, but how bad is it?
4
4

Charging "tall" battery stacks
I've several 48V, 9AHr battery stacks (4x12V@9AHr) that power a system, here. "In theory", as all of the batteries see the same load, they should all degrade in lock step. "In practice", you expect...
87
87

OT: Please clap...
OT: Please clap... Bwahahahahahaha! ROTFLMAO >:-} ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen...
1
1

Poor man's UART
Is it possible to build a "poor man's UART" to look for a specific byte in a low-ish speed current-loop serial bitstream? Like use a serial->parallel shift register with a fast clock and a bit of...
111
111

Video: Skybuck's DreamPC from 2006 boots up strangely
Hello, This video on youtube shows the strange procedure I have to follow to boot up my computer lately: This strange problem started occuring after I accidently put the computer i nto sleep mode, and...
4
4

Quasi-OT: How to double your CPU power. for free
Windows was using 50% of my Win7 CPU, idling, plus 1G of RAM. So I ran and stopped Windows Update. Shazaam. I really need to switch to Linux. Cheers, James Arthur
138
138

Meat thermometer, what kind of sensor is in there?
Just had a wireless meat thermometer suddenly fail in the middle of a brewing session (Belgian Tripel, can't wait ...) [*]. The indicated temp shot up about 50F. Resetting the uC, display and so on...
61
61

DARPA AMEBA
Various nations' militaries have used ULF and VLF to communicate with their submarines, but the usual practice is to utilize very large antennae. DARPA is experimenting with much smaller, portable...