OT: GM Layoffs

Unfortunate Christmas present:

Chevy Volt is meeting sales expectations at 2k+/mo. Sales of Impala, Lacrosse, Cadillac ATS/CTS, Camaro and Corvette are in the dumper.

The Impala seems to be the least endangered vs. the Lacrosse; the Canadian dollar is weak, so primary production is probably headed to Oshawa.

Reply to
bitrex

So much for Trump preserving and recovering jobs in the US. Most of us knew he was lying, but he fooled enough people for long enough ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

To be fair, Trump isn't president yet, and I suppose he can hardly help it if GM is for the most part furiously building cars nobody wants to

Reply to
bitrex

.html

shawa.

knew he was lying, but he fooled enough people for long enough ...

That was the problem with the promises he was making ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Maybe Scott Pruitt could institute a "fuel guzzler credit." For every mile your new car gets under the appropriate CAFE standard, the government sends you a $500 check. The program could be funded by further reducing taxes on the oil industry, stimulating more production, and allowing the excess revenue generated by taxes paid at the reduced rate on a higher volume to make up the difference.

The solution is clear. It's a win-win!

Reply to
bitrex

No worse than the EV credit. Both are terrible ideas. GM should have already gone out of business. But remember, it was Obama who "saved" GM!

Reply to
krw

dex.html

,

o Oshawa.

us knew he was lying, but he fooled enough people for long enough ...

lp

James Arthur didn't much like the way he saved it - the share holders, who haven't been all that careful about the people they'd had running the compa ny, didn't do as well out of the rescue as James Arthur thought that they s hould have done.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's not Detroit, it's Hamtramck which has become part of the Middle East,

. Trump isn't about to help them. The government subsidy schedule for GM must have run its course.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

You mean he kept jobs from leaving the country? How many jobs was that btw? I can't seem to find a real number, but it looks like it would be many, many thousands if you count the direct GM employees as well as the supply chain.

BTW, Trump would have used the crisis to lower the wages of autoworkers. Google it. He also said it would have been ok to let the auto makers go bankrupt.... ?You could have let it go bankrupt, frankly...". He kind of ignores that at the time no one was investing in much of anything much less failed auto companies. If investors were around waiting to restore the automakers to full strength, the bankruptcies would have never happened.

I am no fan of the big automakers, but just like the big banks, they are "too big to fail". Obama kept this country from really going under!

--

Rick C
Reply to

I never thought about this before. What is the difference between broadcasting the adhan and ringing church bells... other than that we've always rung church bells...?

--

Rick C
Reply to

There isn't actually any EV "credit" at the federal level, AFAIK; you're simply allowed to write off $X from your federal income tax for that year if you purchase one of the qualifying cars. If you lease generally what happens is the dealer takes that writeoff on their own balance sheet and passes you along some significant portion of the savings into a capitalized cost reduction on the sale price.

I think it might have been James Arthur who said that unless the oil industry is getting cut checks directly from the Treasury department, they're not actually mooching off public largess, but apparently what is a fantastic idea when they do it is a terrible commie idea when _I_ get the same deal. :-(

Reply to
bitrex

Except I've noticed it's like that's actually what many Conservatives seem to fantasize about. Things have to collapse and get bad enough to "wake everyone up" to see that they were right about everything all along.

Every job a liberal president saves delays the inevitable fall, and the construction of a new America from the ashes of the old.

Reply to
bitrex

My amateur psychoanalysis of the mindset is that they have a lot of repressed internalized, self-directed anger. The irony about what I'd call a population "obsessed with the cult of the self" is that very self-centered people seem to actually have stronger self-destructive urges than the average person.

Reply to
bitrex

Don't judge all conservatives by the whack jobs in this group.

--

Rick C
Reply to

No jobs. Do you think that people wouldn't buy cars because they couldn't buy them from GM, dummy?

You're an idiot. You have no clue.

Bullshit. He made it *far* worse than it should have been. We've been sitting on our ass for eight years.

Reply to
krw

That is one way of looking at it. Another way is that if GWM had gone bankrupt and out of business, the other car companies would have taken up the slack, hired more people , and sold more cars.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

The Chinese would've bought up the Chevrolet and Buick marques at a fire sale discount.

Which would've been unfortunate, as that's where GM is currently selling record numbers of vehicles, and where GM has its sights set.

The rebadged Buick version of the Volt, the Velite, will go on sale there in a couple years, and they'll likely sell a ton of them.

bitrex

Uh, you mean GM *and* Chrysler? Auto companies don't just "take up the slack" overnight. Just as semi companies can't just ramp up production to meet high demand. If their fabs are running three shifts (which they all do), there's not much they can otherwise do.

Auto companies may be the only other consumer oriented industry that requires billions of dollars investment to build factories. Making products from semis is not so hard.

The point is that the shock of having so many people out of work would have added a *huge* amount of fuel to the fire. I don't know, but I bet this is a non-linear process that feeds on itself. That may be why we have periodic swings both ways. In effect the economy oscillates rather than being stable.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I've been waiting for the Bolt to emerge. It was supposed to be out in October, but now I read they are just releasing them in California this month. So it may be closer to the Tesla model 3 release before I see one here. I'm still in line for one of those.

--

Rick C
Reply to

mile your new car gets under the appropriate CAFE standard, the government sends you a $500 check."

I am getting to the point where I think they do road construction at rush hour to get more gasoline taxes.

You do know that the government makes more money on gasoline than the oil companies right ? If not, look it up.

Like they say under Obamacare the insurance companies are only allowed to make 20 %. They were not making 20 % before, and the oil companies would suck a mile of donkey dick to make 20 %. The only reason they make alot of money is because of volume.

Reply to
jurb6006